New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gailtx
Rookie

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  9:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, I am now 15 hours 31 minutes smoke free and hating every minute of it, lol. But I'm hanging in. I am now starting to get the cough. Can anyone tell me how long this coughing will go on and what might help ease it some? All help greatly appreciated.

Carolyn-Mi
Administrator

607 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  09:00:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats! Just from experience and what I have read, our symptoms can sometimes get worse before they get better while trying to "heal" from the damage we have done. If I remember right, it took several months for my cough to lighten up.

I used a lot of cough drops and expecterants during that time.

Keep up the good work, it does get easier!

You can also check out our Smoke No More group at
www.copd-support.com

COPD Support
http://www.copd-support.com
Go to Top of Page

muffin

USA
175 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  5:01:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations!! I can't help with the cough as I never had one, however all that stuff in your lungs is coming up and when all is said and done I am sure you will feel much better and the cough will dissipate. It is the best thing you can do for yourself along with exercise. Blessings
Go to Top of Page

MartyHoward
Rookie

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  11:32:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its gonna take a while. It really depends on how long you had the habit. Keep up the good work, its all will power
Go to Top of Page

thehappyman

USA
159 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  1:43:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gail - Congratulations - Just DON'T GIVE UP, DON'T GO BACK.

Being realistic - if you stick with it you're going to be "climbing the walls" for about a week. Then you'll start to feel better. Personally, I found that chewing gum (a gum like Trident that doesn't fall apart right away) can help a lot. I was chewing gum from sun up to sun down.

Things WILL get better and someday you wont even want, or care, about a cigarette.
Go to Top of Page

sassysue08

29 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  7:01:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I st quit in 2007 and used the patch for 2 months and then used nicotine gum after that, I still chew it. I fear I am addicted to it. I chew every day but it is better than smoking,as I have severe copd. I coughed also for 2 months. but I also was on a antibiotic to help loosen it up. dont be afraid to talk to your dr. and yes cough drops and cough syrup helps. stay strong. just think how much better you will be able to breathe.

lynn laura
Go to Top of Page

Predalien
Rookie

18 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  7:44:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations! Dont give up mate!

German information about Copd:
http://www.copd-krankheit.de
Homepage of my copd support group
Go to Top of Page

6021neal
Rookie

15 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  5:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gailtx

Hi all, I am now 15 hours 31 minutes smoke free and hating every minute of it, lol. But I'm hanging in. I am now starting to get the cough. Can anyone tell me how long this coughing will go on and what might help ease it some? All help greatly appreciated.

Keep in mind that soon you will be able to breathe better, and smell better, and actually taste your food. You won't smell like a dirty ash tray. You will save more than a couple of dollars. And, best of all, you won't have to stand outside, when it is five below zero. I just quit myself 26 days ago, after 55 years of suckin' on them killers. I am sill coughing some, but not as much as the first week. I just hate them damn things, I will NEVER go back..... cigarets stole my life.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000