COPD Support - COPD Information
 RV travel with COPD
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sam-Tx

597 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  2:23:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would like to hear from any who are doing a lot of RV travel with advanced COPD. What unique problems? How did you handle them?

We have loved traveling in our motor coach for years, but now being nearly full time on oxygen and having to think twice before I start doing even simple small jobs has me wondering if we should give it up or not.

Right now, we are planning a couple of weeks trip next month just to see how it goes. Would really appreciate anyone's tips, advice, thoughts, or first hand experience at this.

Getting oxygen on the road is no problem and the concentrator will fit and work fine in the coach. Driving is no problem. It's the utility hookups and towcar hookup that worry me.

Thanks,

SamTx

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
5923 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  7:00:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I said in my answer to your previous post, we are full-timing in our fifth wheel and I have copd. Like you said, there's no problem handling the O2...concentrator for while in the RV, fill-your-own portables for when you're sightseeing. I do all the driving; my SO does the utility hookup. Really, though, Sam, utility hookups aren't really that hard, are they? Plug in the electric; hook up the water; pull out and pop the sewer hose into the hole. If you wear your portable in a backpack while you're doing this, it's a piece of cake.

I'm not familiar with the toad hookup but is it really that difficult? What about your wife? Is she capable of doing this? Or, if you or your wife really can't handle it, you know there's always someone at a campground that would be more than willing to help unhook the toad under your supervision.

We've not run into any unique problems. We've traveled from NC (where I had surgery at Duke) up to NY to OH on through IN and IL to IO then down through NE, KS and OK and into TX. Took a side trip to NM. We've been having an absolute blast. Go for it. This is not your "Practice Life". It's the real thing and there are no second chances (in life, at least). You sure don't want to be lying on your deathbed saying "I wish we had....."

Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

The Bad News: Time flies as you get older.
The Good News: Youíre still the pilot.

Penny's Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

And Our Travel Blog After LVRS

Go to Top of Page

Turtle

USA
41 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  06:58:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Penny Just love how excited this made you, to tell Sam he can still do the traveling he loves. :O) A really feel good Post.

Leah
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000