Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filcab

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  08:38:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi Everyone,

I am posting my test from 4 years ago and hopefully it will help the newer posters get a handle on what we mean when we ask for specific values, i.e. - FVC, FEV1, DLCO, etc. It is simply a quick overview and is not a full explanation.

The first time you take a spirometry test, you will establish a value for FEV1. This is your Pre-bronchodilator or inhaler value. You will then be given some puffs of a fast-acting inhaler and after twenty minutes you will take the test again. These results are your post-bronchodilator values and the difference between Pre and Post are recorded. If your Post value of FEV1 is greater than 15%, you are considered to have an asthma component which can be reversed by inhalers. In subsequent PLBís or Spirometry tests you will probably not do a Pre and Post if itís known that you do not have an Asthma component. You will see only Post results. I only have the post in mine,

FVC - Forced Vital Capacity - the volume of air which can be forcibly and maximally exhaled out of the lungs until no more can be expired. It is usually measured in liters.

FEV1 - Forced Expiation Value after 1 second - the volume of air which can be forcibly exhaled from the lungs in the first second of a forced expiratory maneuver. It too is measured in liters.

FEV1/FVC - Forced Expiration Value after 1 second as a Percentage Ė indicates what percentage of the total FVC was expelled from the lungs during the first second of forced exhalation.

Of these three, FEV1% is the one used by most COPDíers to express their lung function. This is the value that establishes what stage of COPD we are in. The standard now being used is the GOLD (Global Initiative for Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) standard.

Stage Degree FEV1%
I Mild 70-60%
II Moderate 50-69%
III Severe 30-49%
IV Very Severe Less than 30%

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i265/alecaesar/7DBBA77C.jpg

When the site appears, click on the orange square, with the blue arrows to enlarge and clarify the picture.

The FEV1 we are concerned with are the post value, which in my case is 0.42 liters and the post % which in my case is 11%. This particular test is 2 years old, so Iím down to 10% which isnít bad in the overall scheme of things.

Phil

BREATHERCISE for a richer lifestyle!

http://www.geocities.com/filcabns/Phil_aka_filcab.html

Maree
Rookie

7 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  8:32:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

To filcab: I had pulmonary testing 2 days ago and I asked the tech what my FEV1 was. She said .81. The forums always talk about this test in percentages. Can you help me understand? Thanks! Maree
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
5932 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  8:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maree, you also have to know what the predicted number is for you. Did you ask the tech or the doc for an actual copy of your test? If not, do. You want to ask for copies of all tests done..for your own records.

Anyway, if you find out what your predicted number is (in liters), just divide the .81 by that predicted amount.

Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

The Bad News: Time flies as you get older.
The Good News: Youíre still the pilot.

Penny's Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

And Our Travel Blog After LVRS

Go to Top of Page

muffin

USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  11:13:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Phil, as always nice job!!

Arlene
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
4372 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  11:40:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maree anything below 1 liter is considered disabled for Handicap Placard. That is definitely below Social Security Disability threshold for anyone. At 5 feet it is 1.05 liters.

Dave, Forum Administrator
COPD Support, Inc. http://www.copd-support.com/
Your source for peer support and COPD Info

My Site: http://lungresources.com
Go to Top of Page

filcab

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  4:26:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi Maree,

As Penny said, you will need more info from the tech. If you check my FEV1 you will see a Ref value of 3.69l. Reading across the line you will see a Post value of 0.42l and a %Ref value of 11%. It is this 11% value that is my FEV1%. It is arrived at by dividing 0.42 by 3.69.

Breathe gently,

Phil

BREATHERCISE for a richer lifestyle!

http://www.geocities.com/filcabns/Phil_aka_filcab.html
Go to Top of Page

Susan-NY

USA
41 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  12:39:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am scheduled for another PFT in May and my dr. said I could use my nebulizer before I have it done since my SOB is so bad. How accurate will my test be? I won't be using any Spiriva or Proventil before the test, however.

suzq960
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
5932 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  09:58:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Susan, how old are you? How far before the test will you be doing your nebs? Nebs are just as much a med as Spiriva and Proventil (although the proventil is an emergency med, really). If the nebs helps you get through the test, I guess it's better than not being able to finish the pft. Plus, your doc, when he sees the results, will know that you took the nebs first and will take that into account.

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

Go to Top of Page

diann59
Rookie

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  10:18:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi i have got my vitalograph but i don't understand it it reads 2 tests within 0%.
pred meas. %

vc 2.74 2.43 89
ivc 2.84 ----
fuv 2.77 2.67 96
fev1 2.35 2.45 104
fev1 % 80 92 12
pef 362 444 123
fef25-75 3.18 4.04 127
can anyone understanding these and explain in english please

d.williams
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
4372 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  11:42:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not know a FUV, maybe an FVC. If your % FEV1 is 104, then you do not have COPD. But the line under it says 80%, 92% so something is wrong with the list.

Go to Top of Page

diann59
Rookie

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  05:28:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry yes it is fvc.on the line FEV1 it says
.,pred. = 2.35 meas. = 2.45 104%
on FVC1% it says pred.80 meas. 92 12%
does that make sence

d.williams

Edited by - diann59 on Jun 07 2010 08:08:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
5932 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  11:33:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fev1 2.35 2.45 104 - This line just shows the results in liters. You expelled .95 of a liter more than would be normal for a person of your sex, height and age which indicates you don't have copd.

fev1 % 80 92 12 - This line shows it in percentages...probably pre-med, post-med and total change

FVC stands for Forced Vital Capacity - This measures the amount of air you can exhale with force after you inhale as deeply as possible. Your results show that you can exhale more than a person of your sex, height, weight (blah, blah, blah) and also indicates you do not have copd.

So, what did the doctors say you have?

Go to Top of Page

diann59
Rookie

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  12:47:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
copd mild ,ive had asthma for nearly 20 years,but 2 years ago i was diagnosed with copd

d.williams
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
5932 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  12:56:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I don't see any copd but he's the doc. Of course, he might be considering asthma as part of the copd group.

Here's a page that might help you. http://noairtogo.tripod.com/pft.htm

Go to Top of Page

diann59
Rookie

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  1:04:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive been having lots of chest infection s and breathlessness i am an ex-smoker i stopped over 10years ago ive asked her if she is sure and she said its positive,

d.williams

Edited by - diann59 on Jun 07 2010 1:08:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
5932 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  2:30:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Then ask her what "type" of copd you have. Your pft does NOT indicate emphysema. Ask her if she's considering asthma as part of the copd family. Emphysema is an obstructive disease. Your numbers do not indicate you have an obstructive disease.

Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
4372 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  5:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those number do not look like COPD. 2.5 liters is a pretty good value for FEV1. That does not mean you do not have a lung disease. There are others that require additional diagnostic testing.

Go to Top of Page

Casey-CA

USA
782 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  6:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What asthma meds are you using? Maybe you need a change of meds and an exercise program to help with the SOB. Also, maybe your allergies have changed too.

Casey formerly majseventh
Go to Top of Page

diann59
Rookie

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  04:42:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
salbutamol , severant and acuvent,but cut them right down since i was told about a mixture of vitamins that can help ,and ive not had as many chest infections ,ie: magnesium ,omega 3,calcium ,garlic ,vitamins A,B,C,D.iron,and must admit i do feel a lot better,also if i miss them for a few day s my chest gets very tight and i get out of breath .

d.williams
Go to Top of Page

Casey-CA

USA
782 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  5:57:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dianne,
I am totally with you on the vitamins and mineral supplements. I take a good multi with vitamins and minerals, calcium and D3, omega 3 and I am now going to take some NAC (1200 to 1800mgs), more D3 (total of 2,000iu) and vitamin C (2,000 total). I have some on order from Puritan. I have been reading a ton of articles (well maybe not a ton, but lots!) on vitamin D and NAC. I have also learned that you need to take extra C with NAC.

I have been feeling much better with the multi and calcium with D, so I am going to take the next step.
But, I will not forgo my inhalers. They are meant to help our airways and lungs in a different way then the vitamins can do.
The meds are bronchodilators and corticosteroids that as asthmatics we need. Also, if you have the beginning stages of COPD you will also need them.
Start taking them Dianne and begin an exercise regimen too as it is necessary. I believe in using all at my disposal to help my health and not just choose one avenue. It is working for me, so maybe it will work for you.

Casey formerly majseventh
Go to Top of Page

diann59
Rookie

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  04:46:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what is nac? and d3,

d.williams
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
4372 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  09:27:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
D3 is a form of Vitamin D and it is good for fighting infection. Stay away from NAC unless you talk to your doctor. It is a very powerful drug that is sold over the counter without a prescription. It is used in the ER for Tylenol poisoning and in bronch to dissolve mucus. I believe it should only be used under the direction of a doctor. This topic is on PFT results, not on medications. Please stay on topic.

Go to Top of Page

diann59
Rookie

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  2:05:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry i was just answering what was asked thanks for the advice ,

d.williams
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
4372 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  11:56:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just start a new topic to discuss it.

Go to Top of Page

diann59
Rookie

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  09:43:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for help just made appointment at docters gonna show her printout off this forum and ask her how she is diagnosing copd once again thank you for your help

d.williams
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
5932 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  10:58:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She may be talking about something else under the copd umbrella. Let's put it this way...you don't have emphysema. Just ask her what "type" of copd you have. Your numbers just don't indicate an obstructive disease. You don't even have to make an appointment with her. Just call and say "I was wondering, Dr. X; what type of copd do I have?"

Go to Top of Page

diann59
Rookie

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  08:07:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well had another appointment today my reading are really high which indicates no copd but the nurse insists that it is ,i told her about what i had read but she insists that she cant change my dianosise as it is now on my records what can i do ,my latest result s are as follows

VC 91%
FVC 101%
FEV1 101%
PEF 95%
FEF25-75 83%
PLEASE CAN ANYONE ADVISE.

d.williams
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
5932 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  09:43:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diann, first of all, it's not up to the nurse to put anything on your record; the doctor must do that. Secondly, there ARE other lung diseases under the copd umbrella so call her and ask her just what part of copd you have. Each disease is treated differently so be firm and find out just what it is she says you have.

Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
4372 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  10:08:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are other lung diseases period. But maybe other than mild asthma, I do not see anything. So lets start at the beginning. What symptoms brought you to the doctor?

Go to Top of Page

diann59
Rookie

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  11:04:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was having my annual asthma reveiw ,and when the nurse finished she said that my asthma was now reading as copd,i have had asthma for about 20 years and i was struggling a bit with quite a few chest infections but that was 2 years ago just so confused only using my inhalers when needed,

d.williams
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
5932 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  11:55:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It just sounds like she's grouping chronic asthma under the copd umbrella. I still would inquire as to what disease it is that she's supposedly treating you for...and do NOT take "COPD" as an "only" answer. If she says that, continue asking her what part of copd until you get an answer.

Edited by - PennyPA on Aug 30 2010 11:56:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

diann59
Rookie

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  06:33:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
spoke to the nurse again and she said it stays has copd ,has that is what it recorded 2 years ago even tho it not now ,i dont understand .

d.williams
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
5932 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  10:48:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, Diann...what TYPE of copd do you have???? Maybe they include asthma under copd over there. Some doctors do in the States, too. What's even funnier ... here, when you fill out those First Visit applications to see a doctor, there's a list where you're supposed to check what different diseases you have. Most of the lists include "Asthma" AND Emphysema" AND "COPD". I guess you're supposed to check the COPD box if you have one of the other COPD diseases David mentioned. I always just check Emphysema.

Go to Top of Page

benjamin-KY

USA
107 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  4:49:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Friends,

I am new to the forum and am still learning the rules and rhythm of the place so please forgive any mistakes I may make at first.

I find it difficult getting straight answers from my doctor about what to expect about how my condition will progress or even to the severity of my condition. I would appreciate any feedback I can get regarding my spirometry results.

Pre-Bronchodilator/ Post- Bronchodilator

FVC 4.183 / 4.859
FEV1 2.164 / 2.517
FEV1/FVC 52% / 52%
FEF25% 9.355 / 2.765
FEF50% 1.072 / 1.262
FEF75% 0.408 / 0.514
FEF25/75%0.988 / 1.195
PEF 4.507 / 5.605
Exp.Time 7.133 / 6.583
V ext. 0.124 / 0.394

These are the latest results. As I said any and all info on this is greatly appreciated.

If you take the advice of celebrities you get what you deserve.

Edited by - benjamin-KY on Sep 20 2010 4:51:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

charlottejo
Rookie

1 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  10:10:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am new to forum. 49 y.o. female just diagnosed with COPD last week. My doctor's office told me moderate COPD. The results of my PFT are shown below. I was not given a bronchodilator.

FVC - 60 to 66%
FEV1 - 55%
FEV1/FVC - 85 to 93%
FEF 25% - 67 to 75%
FEF 50% - 38 to 45%
PEF - 66 to 75%

Could anyone please help explain these results to me?

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
4372 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  11:51:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FEV1 is how much air you can blow out in 1 second, FVC is the amount in the full exhalation. Your doctor explained the important numbers to you - you have moderate COPD. Other number explain things like small airways disease.

Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
5932 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  9:55:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have no symptoms like shortness of breath, there would be no reason to use a bronchodilator. What symptoms do you have?

Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
4372 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  11:44:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If there is not possible asthma component, they do not do pre and post bronchodilator.

Go to Top of Page

mboerner

USA
66 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2011 :  11:55:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What .81 means is actually 81%. That is, .81 equals 81/100. Percent means per 100. Thus, .81 is 81%.

To filcab: I had pulmonary testing 2 days ago and I asked the tech what my FEV1 was. She said .81. The forums always talk about this test in percentages. Can you help me understand? Thanks! Maree
[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
4372 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  12:19:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, .81 is .81 liters. They never express percent as a decimal. They express liters as a number to 2 decimal places.

Go to Top of Page

la.musiclady

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2012 :  08:31:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got my tests last Wednesday and I am about flipped out..I have no idea what is going on..my doctor was upset with my FEF numbers and now I'm upset. I know I have Severe COPD, he's told me that. But his reaction was so severe that it frightened me..

Post RX
% PRED

FVC 67
FEV1 33
FEF 11
ISOFEF 19
PEF 49

I need some help on this...its running me crazy..

Thanks,
BV

BVL
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000