New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JEFFWATERS1972
Rookie

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  1:54:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have COPD early emphysema/chronic bronchitis. On some of my worst days I can even stand to get out of bed with tightness in the lungs and burning sensation in the chest. I have been taking Vicodin and Valium every morning with my regular COPD meds. I get up early and take my Vicodin and Valium and let them kick in and take my other meds and it allows me to be able to get going. Even on my bad days it seems to help me get up and be able to not miss work. My question anyone else take these type of meds or how do you deal with these bad days? What is your routine?

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
4699 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  3:26:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely, ask your doctor about testing you for GERD. COPD does not cause pain in the chest...other than sore intracoastal muscles.

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

The Bad News: Time flies as you get older.
The Good News: Youíre still the pilot.

Penny's Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

And Our Travel Blog After LVRS

Go to Top of Page

JEFFWATERS1972
Rookie

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  4:13:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YES MY DOCTOR HAS ME ON MEDICINE FOR GERD...I HAVE HEARD OTHERS SAY THEY HAVE A BURNING SENSATION IN THE CHEST...I DONT KNOW VICODINE AND XANAX I BELIEVE IS WHAT I TAKE THE DOCTOR ACTED LIKE HE WOULDN'T ALLOW ME REFILLS ON THESE BUT THE LAST 3 WEEKS THAT I HAVE BEEN ON THEM I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO GET UP AND GO TO WORK AND EVEN WHEN I AM HAVING A BAD DAY THEY ARE HELPING ME PUSH THROUGH. WHEN I WASN'T ON THESE I WAS MISSING ALOT OF WORK AND ON MY BAD DAYS DIDNT WANT TO EVEN GET OUT OF BED AND SHOWER MORELESS GO TO WORK.
Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3196 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  6:09:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Burning and pain is NOT part of COPD. Something else is going on. Have never heard of Vicodin being prescribed for anyone with COPD unless they have pain problems from other things. It is not even recommended for people with COPD. Xanax is prescribe by some doctors for anxiety problems with breathing. Both of these are highly addictive for some people so it would not surprise me if you don't get refills. You have early emphysema and chronic bronchitis you said, most of us are severe or very severe and we don't have this problem with tightness like you seem to feel. The fact that you have it in the morning would be unsual also. Our bad days are usually from shortness of breath or congestion and neither of those meds are for that. What other meds are you taking for COPD. And what are you taking for GERD?
Go to Top of Page

JEFFWATERS1972
Rookie

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  7:50:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I AM TAKING SPIRIVA AND SYMBICOURT I WAS TAKING ADVAIR BUT THEY SWITCHED ME WHEN THEY COULDN'T REGISTER ON A LUNG CAPACITY TEST ALSO HAVE MY ALBUTEROL INHALER. I WAS TAKING ZEGRID FOR GERD BUT WAS TO EXPENSIVE SO SWITCHED TO 30MG PREVACID. I TAKE PRISTIQ FOR DEPRESSION AND LUNESTA FOR SLEEP. I TAKE ATIVAN FOR ANXIETY AND VICODIN FOR PAIN AND CURRENTLY TAKING A MED FOR THRUSH FOR 14 DAYS.I DO HAVE SOMETHING ELSE GOING ON I BELIEVE BECAUSE I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL FOR 2 DAYS AND LOST 3 POUNDS WHEN I CAME OUT I GAINED 12 POUNDS FOR NO REASON HAVEN'T CHANGED EATING HABITS OR ANYTHING SO I HAVE A SONOGRAM AND UPPER GI SCHEDULED FOR TOMMAROW.
Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3196 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  10:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know how long it took to gain the 12 pounds but if it was quick like a couple days then I would think it was fluid buildup which would cause chest pain. You are taking a lot of drugs that affect the mind and the Vicodin is now added to that. I don't know how you can think with all that stuff in your body. I take a Lunesta at night and it I have to take even the lowest Xanax I am like a zombie all day. Keep looking and eventually someone will find the answer or you will find it yourself.
Go to Top of Page

mustangmom
Rookie

USA
18 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  11:00:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would offer a thought on the pain in the chest...inflammation can cause discomfort...try using the hottest water you can stand in the shower...keep the water flow directed at the painful area. Do this twice daily and/or use a heating pad on low on the area.

Good luck
Go to Top of Page

Casey-CA

USA
782 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  5:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tightness in the chest can be from asthma. The prednisone can be part of the culprit for the weight gain. You are on way too many meds for the sleep, anxiety, etc. I hope the doctors know about all of them and coordinate, because they could be backfiring on you.
Exercise and stretching could help with pain. It definitely will help with your breathing.
Do you know what your FEV1 is? Have you had a recent PFT? I have no idea how you go to work on Valium?
I also hope you are not drinking any alcohol with those.
Could you please not post in capital letters? Thanks

Casey formerly majseventh

Edited by - Casey-CA on Apr 08 2010 5:16:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3196 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  2:25:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see where he is on Pred. Did I miss that? Depending on the dose of Valium I can see how someone would go to work. 5mg of Valium would have little affect on me but added to the Vicodin and what is left in your system from the Lunesta would make a big difference. I, too, hope that one doctor is coordinating all these meds.
Go to Top of Page

Casey-CA

USA
782 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  5:23:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Carol, after just reading thru his posts I don't see where he said Pred either!!
LOL I must have been seeing things.

Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
4699 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  8:38:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mustangmom, you are talking about muscle pain...which some people get at times due to difficulty breathing. The hot shower and heating pad don't really help GERD. And copd, in an of itself, does not have lung pain.

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3196 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  12:29:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually a heating pad can help my stomach a great deal. It just seems to relax it. As for the GERD I am not sure.
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
4699 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  10:37:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The heating pad helps relax muscles...but on your stomach???

Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3196 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  2:53:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YUP. very good for IBS also. Probably has an antispasm effect.
Go to Top of Page

JEFFWATERS1972
Rookie

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  1:54:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All my meds that I am on are prescribed by my doctor. The pain medication has been for the chest pain which they can't seem to figure out. My primary doctor did a ekg in his office and said it was slightly abnormal but then during a hospital stay they said it looked fine did a stress test where they inject some medicine into you and it came out fine. The pain is sometimes a burning sensation and other times it is a feeling of like something was strained or sprained and most often occurs in the mornings. I actually am able to function alot better with taking the pain med and the Ativan. I have an upper GI and sonogram on my stomach done recently and will visit my doctor on 04/15 and I also have my first appointment with pulmonary doctor that day also.
Go to Top of Page

Casey-CA

USA
782 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  4:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff,
Have you had a PFT and what was your FEV1? Did it show asthma?
Our lungs are rather large and can stretch the cartilage which puts pressure on our ribs.
We work hard sometimes to breathe and this can put lots of stress on our backs and chest. Do you know how to PLB?
I have some of my ribs that pop out occasionally and need to be popped back in. It really is painful.
Have you ever tried a massage by a good massage therapist? Muscle pain can be excruciating and can be relieved by EXERCISE and massage.
Do you exercise daily? Try stretches and walking a treadmill to start and you will be amazed at how much better you will feel and breathe.
Also, try propping up the head of your bed a little and you will sleep so much better because you will breathe easier. It takes me a little while when I wake up for my routine to get going.
I start with a bathroom run, coffee and then start my meds. I sit and take time with them before I get ready for the day.
I hope you feel better soon.

Go to Top of Page

copdtn
Rookie

USA
1 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  9:01:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JEFFWATERS1972

I have COPD early emphysema/chronic bronchitis. On some of my worst days I can even stand to get out of bed with tightness in the lungs and burning sensation in the chest. I have been taking Vicodin and Valium every morning with my regular COPD meds. I get up early and take my Vicodin and Valium and let them kick in and take my other meds and it allows me to be able to get going. Even on my bad days it seems to help me get up and be able to not miss work. My question anyone else take these type of meds or how do you deal with these bad days? What is your routine?

That 'burning ' sensation in your chest might be something more serious than GERD. Before I was diagnosed with COPD, my complaints to my doctor were sob & a burning pain, behind my breastbone, that occurred while I was 'mall' walking. Turned out that the burning sensation was angina which required two stents to fix. I hope you have brought this to your doctor's attention.
Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3196 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  12:16:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bumping up
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: