New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chris Gregory
Rookie

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  06:18:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, My sister was diagnosed with COPD about 3 years ago. It took a long time for her to not panic and to lead a more normal life again. She is unable to use hairspray for obvious reasons, but has very fine hair. Does anyone have any tips for a subsitute?

Cheers, Chris.

Carolyn-Mi
Administrator

604 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  09:09:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She could use a bit of Gel like Redkin Rewind, I don't know if you have that there, but surely there would be an equivalent. You can look to see what it is here

http://www.redken.com/products/styling

A bit pricey but a little goes a very long way.

Or she can use mousse/styling foam. I sometimes use 1 and sometimes the other. I do wish I could handle hairspray...but alas that has gone the way of candles around here.

Carolyn

COPD Support
http://www.copd-support.com
Go to Top of Page

Bee

United Kingdom
82 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  10:10:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have fine hair myself and I cannot do without my hairspray. Fortunately it does not give me a problem as long as I hold my breath whilst using it. Is it the aerosol that causes problems? There are several brands that are non aerosol which might be OK - Wella, Pantene, L'Oreal and Garnier all make non aerosol hairsprays although to be honest I have never seen them in the shops. They are availabel on line though - worth trying.
Go to Top of Page

Scout
Contributing Member

USA
1011 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  10:32:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use the squirt on....we flew right after the 9/11 changes in carry on stuff. They would let ya take the spritz then.....anyway...got it at Walmart but I'm sure you can get it at any drugstore.

Connie-AR
Go to Top of Page

benjamin-KY

USA
107 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  10:55:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just keep in mind that it's the propellant that causes the problems not so much the product. There's the pump style bottle, mousses, foams. Really a wide array of products that should do almost as well as aerosol based sprays.

If you take the advice of celebrities you get what you deserve.
Go to Top of Page

iffybob

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  10:59:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the astma part with COPD , and I find strong sents a real prob........
Go to Top of Page

bergie

USA
31 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  1:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe even a finishing creme that would style and get rid of frizzies w/o having to use hairspray. John Frieda makes a good one I use.

Lori
Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  9:52:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I do use hair spray I do it outside and I cover my face with a washcloth. I found it was the fumes that stayed in the bathroom that bothered me, not the spray itself. The one I have is hypoallergenic but it still has some odor that lingers in the house. I was getting very bad asthma problems by morning when I used the bathroom which is off the bedroom. Once I took it outside or in the other bathroom it was OK.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000