Xanax
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tmacga
Rookie

2 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  6:45:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone out there take Xanax and if so what mg. I take it for anxiety and have been taking 0.5 mg. I was told that I could take 1 mg every eight hours and it would be alright. I know that it is habit forming and seems to , what have I really got to lose. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

sandy

USA
132 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  7:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Thomas: Like any controlled substance it is addicting unless you take it as prescribed. I have .25 milligrams and can only take 1 to 2 a day. On occasion I have taken two at a time which is equal to what you have (0.5 mg) because their is so much anxiety with COPD and other diseases, possibly due to the other medications we have to take, such as prednisone. They are a welcome relief, but they have their side effects. I have noticed that you can build a tolerance very easily though, so just take them as prescribed and if you try to get your refills early they call your Doctor for an approval and of course, that will open up a can of worms. Sandy
Go to Top of Page

john_o
Rookie

17 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  8:35:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3 mg a day is a lot. A more realistic dose is something like what Sandy is taking, .25mg once or twice daily. Just because the doc tells you that you can take so much doesn't mean you have to. Try cutting to .5mg every 8 hrs and see if you really need more than that for anxiety. I routinely take .25mg a day, sometimes at bedtime, and have for years, without any significant problems. I've never felt "addicted" if by that is meant you find yourself taking more and more of it.
Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3201 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  12:20:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Pulmonologist begrudgingly lets me have .25mg of Xanax for sleep. He does not like Xanax for some reason. He doesn't seem to mind Ativan and will prescribe sleeping pills if I ask but he seems to feel Xanax has more effect on the CNS system than the others. I have never taken Ativan except when in the hospital on respirator. I think 1mg every 8 hours is way too much. How it affects you will depend on your weight, age,etc but that is a heavy dose and if you take it with any regularity I would expect that you will get more used to it than you should. I thik that it would be helpful for you to look to other methods to relieve some anxiety like Yoga or just plain relaxation exercises.
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
4713 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  10:16:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why do you need so much? Like the others, I've got Ativan for at nighttime to help me sleep all the way through the night 'cause otherwise I'm awake every hour on the hour.

What is your medical situation that causes you so much anxiety? Were you an anxious-type person before medical problems? Doing relaxation exercises, yoga, meditation, etc. will teach you to handle the anxiety without resorting to chemicals. What makes you anxious?

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

The Bad News: Time flies as you get older.
The Good News: Youíre still the pilot.

Penny's Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

And Our Travel Blog After LVRS

Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
4713 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  4:38:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, ativan is a chemical (drug). I never said it wasn't. However, I also don't take it several times a day. If I had an anxiety condition that required that much 'artificial' help, I, too, would look into yoga, meditation or something.

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

The Bad News: Time flies as you get older.
The Good News: Youíre still the pilot.

Penny's Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

And Our Travel Blog After LVRS

Go to Top of Page

MaryAZ

USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  9:46:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Penny; I just inquired in another area about where you were. I thought you had not been around. Ignore it if you see my question.

To tmacga. I have a bottle of xanax and it is .25mg. I do not prefer to use this type of medicine. With COPD because of the anxiety that affects the breathing, I am learnng when to take it. After being very ill and on a ventilator in the hospital I came home with this as a regular medicine in 2002. Sometime in 2003 it was my suggestion to stop it.

My prescription is one every 12 hours. I never do that unless I am real real sick and that was only in Dec. 2005. Other times if I am sick I may take it if I feel anxious. I normally cute it in half and only take half just to get the edge off. I do not know for sure that it works but it appears to. My doctor will give me the script and it will be 60 pills but I never use them all.

Mary
Go to Top of Page

DARMICH
Rookie

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  12:54:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also am on Ativan.After I started having trouble breathing and was first dix.with COPD.I was within a very short period,getting more sob,due to fear.I also could not sleep,and started getting depressed. Dr. tryed me on several kinds of anti-anxiety,anti-depressent meds.The only one that worked on me,but also let me feel like myself again was Ativan.I have been on it 5 yrs.now.I take 3 a day,1 at bedtime.Darcy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000