New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jacquie
Rookie

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  05:45:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi does anyone else suffer from tightness in their ribs and lungs ,mine feel like they are in a vice the only relief i get is by stretching my arms in the air and lying down it is so uncomfortable but my doc says he as never heard of COPD causing this and our lungs don't have nerves so cant cause pain
Getting me down as i don't know if this is COPD or something else
Please help
Thanks jacquie

jacquie

Casey-CA

USA
782 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  05:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our lungs get hyperinflated *large* and this puts pressure on our cartilage which stretches and in turn puts pressure on our ribs. They call this barrell chest.
Sometimes our ribs can break or in my case they have popped out of place a few times.
Try some ibuprofen and a nice back massage from someone.

Casey formerly majseventh
Go to Top of Page

jacquie
Rookie

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  06:00:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Casey you have the same name as my granddaughter only hers is spelt with a K
I take Naproxen and Tramadol for other pains but nothing takes this away
Sorry your ribs have popped out that must be painful
Take care Jacquie

jacquie
Go to Top of Page

Davy9
Rookie

USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  08:34:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are correct that lung by themselves are not innervated to feel pain. But the pleural lining which covers the inside of the chest wall does feel pain and so do the major conducting airways inside the lung.

As to what you might have going on will not be easy to comment on. Can you be more descriptive? How long have you had the pain/sensation? Where is it located? Does it hurt worse when you take a deep breath or cough?

I will offer this as a possible explanation. The lungs sit in the chest cavity and are supposed to move freely within the chest floating on a thin lubricating layer of fluid in between the 2 pleural linings. If those linings get infected or inflamed it results in pleurisy and that can be very painful. A number of conditions can cause fluid to build up in that pleural space that sometimes require draining. A lot can happen in that pleural area. Once healed those events can leave scar tissue(s) which can actually adhere and stick causing the lung to become attached to the chest wall and not moving freely. The lung lining itself can present with a rinding layer of thickened scar tissue. Lung bullae also move to the lung extremities and sometimes seize. Some of these conditions can result in sensations of that lung not properly expanding or catching. Now all of these things should be easily seen on CAT scans and sometimes on chest xrays. If you have had those imaging studies done and nothing was seen then the sensation you feel is more likely musculo-skeletal in origin. Since the chest wall is essentially a basket of bone there are a lot of tendons and cartilage that can be subject to painful tears/inflammations.

Hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

jacquie
Rookie

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  09:09:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Davy
Thank you so much for taking your time explaining this to me
The pain or perhaps i should describe it as pressure is constant it never goes away like a tight elastic band around all my ribs
Sitting down makes it worse i now tend to sit at a sideways angle if you know what i mean
I have had pleurisy before but this is different ,i have also had pneumonia but that was years ago but now you have explained about the scar tissue I'm thinking it must be that i did have a xray not long ago that showed enlarged lungs but they didn't mention anything else
Just wish there was some way to get a bit of relief
Thanks once more Davy
Take care Jacquie

jacquie
Go to Top of Page

Davy9
Rookie

USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  09:34:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The pleural conditions I discussed are usually one-sided as they commonly present on just one side or the other. You describe this 'tightness' as if it were a belt secured around the rib cage. That really does not fit the typical scenario for COPD or the other lung conditions. I'd ask them to check into nerve conditions as they exit the spinal column in the region that serves the level of these ribs.
Go to Top of Page

jacquie
Rookie

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  11:00:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again Davy
You must be regreting answering my post LOL
Thank you for clearing this up for me i have i had asthma for years and was diagnosed with emphysema etc last year
I do have alot of damage in my back neck shoulders etc from injury 20 odd year's ago which causes me alot of pain
I was just confused as this pain started just before i was diagnosed with emphysema it must be a coincidence
I will go back to my doctors to see about some more tests for nerve damage
Sorry to rant on was just so confused
Many many thanks Jacquie

jacquie
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
3441 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  11:18:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the things not mentioned in our discussions is restrictive lung diseases. Some of them can cause pain, and you doctor should eliminate them.

Dave, Forum Administrator
COPD Support, Inc. http://www.copd-support.com/
Your source for peer support and COPD Info

Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com
Mobile chat room for pads and phone Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com/m

My Site: http://lungresources.com
Go to Top of Page

jacquie
Rookie

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  11:27:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave what is restrictive lung disease ?is it a COPD condition
My doctor isn't very helpful hence all the questions will also ask about this
Many Thanks Jacquie

jacquie
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
3441 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  11:56:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, COPD is an obstructive lung diseases. They make it hard to breath out. Restrictive lung diseases make it hard to breathe in. Here is a link that might help

http://www.suite101.com/content/lung-diseases-restrictive-vs-obstructive-types-a167019

Go to Top of Page

Davy9
Rookie

USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  12:30:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Dave, Ohio notes obstructive lung diseases refer to processes that obstruct normal exhalation. There are a number of them umbrella'd under the term COPD which include asthma, emphysema, and chronic bronchitis most notably. But even end stage cystic fibrosis is considered a type of COPD. They often exist in combination.

Restrictive lung disease refers to processes that make breathing in more difficult. These would include diseases that result in fibrosis of the lungs which renders them stiffer and harder to inflate. But external processes can also be considered a restrictive lung disease. Severe obesity restricts breathing simply by getting too much fat in the way. Skeletal deformities like thoracic scoliosis also restrict breathing.

You can have both obstructive and restrictive lung disease at the same time. Anyone with COPD who is also overweight would have both processes show up on their pulmonary function tests.

Lung diseases are rather complex which makes them difficult to generalize about. And because breathing is central to all organ systems the various complications of lung diseases can be quite broad in scope.
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
3441 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  12:54:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a problem with chest pain a while back. It was usually on the left side. It was a form a Pleurisy from the loosening of impacted mucus in my left lung. It felt like a muscle strain of the left side. Here is Mayo on Pleurisy.

http://www.bing.com/health/article/mayo-125594/Pleurisy?q=pleurisy&qpvt=plurosy+

Only your doctor can determine why you have the pain. Pain is important to diagnosis and treat. It is the bodies warning system.

Go to Top of Page

Casey-CA

USA
782 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  4:54:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Davy, That is the best explanation of lung pain EVER!!
Thank you for that. It is a hall of famer post.

quote:
Originally posted by Davy9

You are correct that lung by themselves are not innervated to feel pain. But the pleural lining which covers the inside of the chest wall does feel pain and so do the major conducting airways inside the lung.

As to what you might have going on will not be easy to comment on. Can you be more descriptive? How long have you had the pain/sensation? Where is it located? Does it hurt worse when you take a deep breath or cough?

I will offer this as a possible explanation. The lungs sit in the chest cavity and are supposed to move freely within the chest floating on a thin lubricating layer of fluid in between the 2 pleural linings. If those linings get infected or inflamed it results in pleurisy and that can be very painful. A number of conditions can cause fluid to build up in that pleural space that sometimes require draining. A lot can happen in that pleural area. Once healed those events can leave scar tissue(s) which can actually adhere and stick causing the lung to become attached to the chest wall and not moving freely. The lung lining itself can present with a rinding layer of thickened scar tissue. Lung bullae also move to the lung extremities and sometimes seize. Some of these conditions can result in sensations of that lung not properly expanding or catching. Now all of these things should be easily seen on CAT scans and sometimes on chest xrays. If you have had those imaging studies done and nothing was seen then the sensation you feel is more likely musculo-skeletal in origin. Since the chest wall is essentially a basket of bone there are a lot of tendons and cartilage that can be subject to painful tears/inflammations.

Hope this helps.

Casey formerly majseventh
Go to Top of Page

Scout
Contributing Member

USA
1011 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  5:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bet he googled that! HA!

Connie-AR
Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3216 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  5:42:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started about a month or so ago with terrible rib pain. It started out minor I figured from coughing but eventually got very major. Went totally around from back to front. As it turned out I had a fractured T-8 disk which is about the middle of the back. It is still healing but it is a 50% forward wedge collapse. I was fitted with a brace today and whereas it was not uncomfortable and didn't feel that it was pushing hard on my body my breathing was much worse with it to the point that I had to come home and take it off. My point is that rib pain can be coming from the spinal area so a good x-ray may show something going on. Unfortunately we and the doctors attribute everything to COPD and sometimes it just is something else.
Go to Top of Page

icandoityesican
Rookie

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  1:08:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had this same discomfort for over a year now, following my combined diagnosis of stage 3A lung cancer and emphysema/copd in Oct 09. It was that first hospitalization (when the focus was ALL about the cancer) that I first experienced the tightness around the chest. No one had an explanation for it, just gave me Ativan to chill me out. I was in such a blur for months dealing with treatments for the cancer that -- at that time -- the occasional tightness in my chest was endurable by comparison.

Fast forward to the current time. Much of every 24 hours I have that tightness across my chest, just under the bosom, feels like a belt or rope too tight, just horrible. Still, no answers as to cause or how to treat. I take up to 4 Advil ever 6 hours, if needed. It feels like a few bricks have been laid on my chest. I am able to breathe deeply.

In Oct of 2010 I had a pleural catheter implanted so that we could drain my pleural cavity from home. Prior to that I'd had two thoracenteses, until my pulmo doc decided to go the PleurX route. I have no regrets because it's so convenient, but draining USED to help in the abatement of the chest discomfort, and not so much anymore. I drain myself (actually, can't access it completely, so my husband does it) every couple of days, sometimes three or four days.

I hope your question gets more attention here since I can relate to your discomfort and would like to hear from more people who experience the tightness around the chest. To differentiate, it's NOT the barrel-chest that someone mentioned. I don't have a barrel, am slim (when I'm not on prednisone!). Since it began occurring so early on, just as I was undergoing radiation, my husband thinks this might be caused by some scarring.

Any more thoughts or opinions?
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
4760 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  10:02:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A barrel chest doesn't become evident until late in the disease.

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

The Bad News: Time flies as you get older.
The Good News: Youíre still the pilot.

Penny's Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

And Our Travel Blog After LVRS

Go to Top of Page

icandoityesican
Rookie

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  11:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks about the barrel chest. I looked some more about it and found this on the Mayo Clinic site:
"Hyperinflated lungs can be associated with a number of serious lung conditions, such as emphysema, asthma or lung cancer... However, if your lungs are truly hyperinflated, you will be short of breath."
Yup, emphysema, lung cancer, SOB. I have developed something of a belly since November, as I gained 10 lbs with the assumption that the prednisone is behind it. I was on 60 mgs in Nov, down to 20 today. Titrating v-e-r-y slowly. I am an eating machine on this drug. I do my best to eat good things, watchful with a lowered fat diet, good fiber, complete salt elimination, small meals when practical. (And they were only TWO homemade choc chip cookies.) I am seeing my primary care doc on Tuesday and will bring this subject up.
Go to Top of Page

Scout
Contributing Member

USA
1011 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2011 :  1:27:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prednisone makes me hungry enough to eat the house ican!! I really don't like being on it.....gives me fuggy brain and I just feel like I'm two steps behind myself! I use it when I'm getting sick now.....not everyday....I'm soooooo glad to be off it full time! I try to stay well just because of that!

Connie-AR
Go to Top of Page

icandoityesican
Rookie

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2011 :  8:47:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean. There are times I'm just so darned hungry that I'm ready to eat the tissues just cause they're close! Ravenous, all the time.
Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3216 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  12:15:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can have hyperinflated lungs and not be SOB. I am seldom SOB and I have very hyperinflated lungs so bad that they couldn't find a brace for my back fracture that would fit right. They had to take parts of two different ones and make it work. It still doesn't but that is probably because I don't feel I really need it and so don't stick with it. SOB comes much more from poor diffusion.
Go to Top of Page

hamtol

USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  3:14:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes, I have the same problem-tight chest, but usually without the pain. I tried one of my old exercises from my days as a singer, and it seems to help. I lay on the floor or my bed, bend my knees (like I am trying to do "cheater's sit-ups"), and lock my hands behind my head, and take as deep a breath as I can. My vocal coach taught me this technique in order to teach me the knack of diaphragmatic breathing. In this position, the breaths are deeper, and I seem to get more air into and out of my lungs my lungs. Maybe it's because pursed lip breathing seems to come more naturally then. However, don't try this if you are coughing a lot or seem to have a lot of congestion (chest or bronchial). If you have either of those combined with the "tight chest," you probably should get to the doctor asap. Gus
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
4760 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  6:29:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I occasionally get the feeling of wearing a tight bra, especially if I've been driving for awhile. I never had it before the LVRS but I don't know that it's associated with that, 3 years later. Not painful but uncomfortable.

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

The Bad News: Time flies as you get older.
The Good News: Youíre still the pilot.

Penny's Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

And Our Travel Blog After LVRS

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000