Rescue Inhaler - Use how often ????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thehappyman

USA
159 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  5:12:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a generalized question about rescue inhalers - curious but how often are they supposed to be used - sometimes I wish I could use mine (at least once) every day, but then it wouldn't be "rescue", it would be "maintenance". So I just put up with the discomfort and save the "rescue" inhaler for real emergencies. Does that sound right ???

Bo H

USA
987 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  5:27:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No it is not right. Rescue means use it when you need it. Before I started taking my meds in the way that is best for me I used Albuterol 4 or more times a day. Since then I very seldom use it, because I don't need it.
It would be better if you discussed what, when, and how many times you use your meds, because he knows your condition and we dont.

Bo in Al
Go to Top of Page

thehappyman

USA
159 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  6:05:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bo - I assume you mean to discuss it with my Pul Doc. Why did you originally need to use your rescue inhaler 4 times a day and now you do not need to ???? Did your condition improve ???? Thats GREAT !!!

My Doc's ORIGINAL prescription had me on Foradil and Pulmicort for maintinence and then Combivent every 4 hours. Then he very recently introduced me to Spiriva (once a day) but neglected to tell me to stop the Combivent. He did say that most people that use Spiriva don't use Combivent. About 10 days ago I started taking the Spiriva every day and I stopped taking the Combivent every 4 hours (I have been told by others on this forum that I should NOT be using both). But in the last 10 days I've had to use the Combivent (as a rescue inhaler) about 3 or 4 times. What I need to get is some Albuterol for the rescue function.

So Monday morning I'll call the Doc's office and have this discussion with him and see what he says.
Go to Top of Page

tsainta
Contributing Member

USA
1307 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  6:11:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My pulmo is loose on the use of albuterol/xopenex. He sez what Bo H sez, "use it when you need it." You accumulate no brownie points for suffering needlessly. Foradil does not give me a consistent 12 hours of relief, and when it doesn't I use my xopenex, with my pulmo's blessing. My need varies with temperature, humidity, time of year (which I think relates to atmospheric pressure), and who knows(?).

Tony-CA

There's really no point to spending a lot of time worrying about old age; it just doesn't last that long.
Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1219 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  6:25:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Usually a rescur inhaler is prescribed up to X times a day, meaning you shouldn't go over that. I think it's pretty loose, for the most part, unless you're using it every couple of hours or something. I ahve Combivent that I use like that. I usually take it in the morning before I exercise and then ordinarily wouldn't use it again unless I'm doing something that requires a good burst of energy, like going up a flight of stairs carrying something (usually in an airport).

Jean

Exercise not only lets me live, it enables me to have a life.
Go to Top of Page

thehappyman

USA
159 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  6:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tsainta - What you and Bo are saying makes a lot of sense - And who wants to suffer...... I thought the Foradil wasn't lasting a full 12 hours.......... Like yourself, my need varies with temperature, humidity, probably atmospheric pressure, and as for the time of year - that makes a lot of sense - I think it's the Pollen Count that only goes way up at certain times of the the year - especially in the spring when all the trees and bushes are blooming.

I also think what and how much we've eaten recently affects us too (excessive sodium is very bad, at least for me). I also think our current "emotional status" can affect our breathing too - when I get "stressed" or nervous my breathing always gets worse.

So many variables - Well, when I talk to my Doc on Monday I'll explain that I'm using the Spiriva everyday now and that I've heard and been told that it is not good to take Combivent with Spiriva so maybe he should give me a precription to Albuterol for the "resue function". I wish there was another Pul Doc close to me that would take our insurance but no luck (as it is, he's 45 minutes away)
Go to Top of Page

tsainta
Contributing Member

USA
1307 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  8:10:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think longevity with this disease is often related to quietly and nonconfrontationally taking on the role of being your own primary care manager. You just have to keep working the system until you get to a comfortable place.

Tony-CA

There's really no point to spending a lot of time worrying about old age; it just doesn't last that long.
Go to Top of Page

thehappyman

USA
159 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  9:05:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In other words "trial by error" and "Whatever works best" ??????
Go to Top of Page

bluzman

181 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  9:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i went to pharmacy today and added advair which i had stoped taking but still had script for ----when i picked up --pharma wanted to talk to me saying i need to talk to doc cause if i'm taking advair again ---i might not need the Qvar----so i asked about what's the best order to take meds ---should i take my albuterol first ---he said-i should only take albuterol for rescue ---if i'm not SOB or have laboured breathing, there's no need for it.....he also said it didn't matter spiriva or advair first but to wait 30 min between the two.....he also said breathe in twice to get everything out of spiriva cap....
since taking advair again haven't had to use albuterol as much....

Go to Top of Page

thehappyman

USA
159 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  10:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bluzman - You have to do more than breathe in twice with the Spiriva Cap - Truly, more than once, I have "taken" a Spiriva cap out of the Handihaler after being used and lo and behold, there was still some powder in the cap. I have also had this happen with Foradil but not as often, and at least with Foradil the Cap is "clear" so you can see if the powder was inhaled.

I don't like the Spiriva Handihaler. I prefer to use the Foridil Inhaler Device for the Spiriva too (the pills are identical in size and both have to be "punctured" the same way) - the "Feedback" you feel is more reassuring with the Foradil Device and I still check every cap after inhaling to make SURE all the powder has been inhaled.
Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3195 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  10:50:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You wouldn't use Qvar if you use Advair. Never two steroid inhalers at the same time. I would say Advair before Spiriva since Advair has a long acting bronchodilator similar to Albuteral but longer acting but it is whatever works.
Go to Top of Page

tsainta
Contributing Member

USA
1307 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  12:38:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thehappyman stated: "In other words "trial by error" and "Whatever works best" ??????" My answer: ultimately, yes. There are so many variables that I am convinced the knowledgeable patient is best equipped to take the lead in refining/optimizing his or her own treatment in coordination with the doc. My experience with most docs is that if they consider you knowledgeable and thoughtful, they will work with you rather than dictate to you.

Tony-CA

Go to Top of Page

Jim
Rookie

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  11:32:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thehappyman

Hi Bluzman - You have to do more than breathe in twice with the Spiriva Cap - Truly, more than once, I have "taken" a Spiriva cap out of the Handihaler after being used and lo and behold, there was still some powder in the cap. I have also had this happen with Foradil but not as often, and at least with Foradil the Cap is "clear" so you can see if the powder was inhaled.

I don't like the Spiriva Handihaler. I prefer to use the Foridil Inhaler Device for the Spiriva too (the pills are identical in size and both have to be "punctured" the same way) - the "Feedback" you feel is more reassuring with the Foradil Device and I still check every cap after inhaling to make SURE all the powder has been inhaled.

you've got two choices:
get to livin' or get to dying'
Go to Top of Page

Jim
Rookie

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  11:34:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
excellent advice. I've been doing that for quite awhile.....

you've got two choices:
get to livin' or get to dying'
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
4699 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  1:54:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what's neat with the Tiotropium (Spiriva) from ADC. The capsule actually gets cut in half and the bottom half with the meds in it is clear so you can see if there's meds in there before you even use it. I've never come across an empty capsule yet. And I, too, inhale twice to make sure I get every little last bit out of the capsule. Ditto with the Advair.

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

The Bad News: Time flies as you get older.
The Good News: Youíre still the pilot.

Penny's Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

And Our Travel Blog After LVRS

Go to Top of Page

Scout
Contributing Member

USA
1011 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  2:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now why can't we use foridil with spriva? Aren't they pretty much the same thing? Could you use foridil and advair together? I've always liked foridil.

Connie-AR
Go to Top of Page

Bo H

USA
987 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  4:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spiriva and foradil are both long acting bronchidilators but they target different receptors in the lungs. They can be used together with good results.
Advair and Foradil shouldn't be used together as the Serevent part of Advair and Foradil target the same receptors.

Bo in Al
Go to Top of Page

Scout
Contributing Member

USA
1011 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  5:16:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Symbicort is a steroid...right? Is advair a steroid?

Connie-AR
Go to Top of Page

Bo H

USA
987 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  6:17:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scout

Symbicort is a steroid...right? Is advair a steroid?

No and No. Symbicort is Foradil plus Budesonide. Advair is Serevent plus Flovent. Budesonide and Flovent are steroids. Foradil and Serevent are long acting bronchdilators.

Bo in Al
Go to Top of Page

thehappyman

USA
159 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  6:29:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now why can't we use foridil with spriva? Aren't they pretty much the same thing? Could you use foridil and advair together? I've always liked foridil.

The Foradil, Spiriva and Pulmicort are what my Doc wants me on, as well as a rescue inhaler. My Doc says Combivent is still good, but now just as a rescue inhaler. I suggested to him to just use "Albuterol" for the rescue - he still says to still use the "Combivent"

Prior to the Spiriva I was taking the Combivent every day, every 4 hours - Now I only take it only occasionally, maybe once every 3 or 4 days.

Only time will tell

Edited by - thehappyman on Mar 29 2011 6:32:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3195 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  7:52:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As little as you are using it now it really won't make much difference what you use for rescue. Usually they change it to Albuteral but it is not critical especially since you are not usingit much.
Go to Top of Page

thehappyman

USA
159 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  10:04:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CarolCA

As little as you are using it now it really won't make much difference what you use for rescue. Usually they change it to Albuteral but it is not critical especially since you are not usingit much.

Yeah, I hardly ever need to use the Combivent rescue inhaler now - Just a couple times a week (at most). Prior to the Spiriva it was Combivent anywhere from 28 to 35 times a week !!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

thehappyman

USA
159 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  10:07:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bo H is right - The Foradil and Spiriva work well together. Now I'm using the Foradil first and then taking the Spiriva about 15 minutes later.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000