COPD & Depression
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

muffin

USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  3:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found this to be interesting so am passing along. Maybe you all have read what I am just reading as all of this is so new to me even though I am severe. I do a lot of reading and this forum has been very helpful. I thank you all for that.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070119/hl_nm/depression_copd_dc

Arlene
PS Dave if I put this in the wrong place yell at me

Carolyn-Mi
Administrator

607 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  7:03:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Muffin,

Even for those that may have known that reminders are always good.
It makes sense though when you think about....people who are depressed do not care to take care of themselves...they are in a deep funk and nothing in the world is right...or so it seems.

To "thrive" with COPD we have to take the best care of ourselves as we can...we need to take our meds...eat healthy...keep up with good hygiene...and all kinds of other good things. For people who are depressed those 3 things are usually the first things to fall along side the way...cause why bother?

So if any of you get down for more then a week....or if you just can't pick yourself up...emotionally, go see your Dr. Depression can be helped. With meds and sometimes with therapy.

COPD Support
http://www.copd-support.com
Go to Top of Page

sandy

USA
132 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  8:37:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Muffin and Carolyn: This article held particular interest to me because of the underlying depression and anxiety that seems to go hand in hand with COPD. Why is this? Does anyone know? I have been trying to put my finger on this since being diagnosed in Nov. and reading the forums. I have RA and I never felt depressed from that. I know people that have really bad diseases, terminal diseases and depression was not as prevalent as it seems to be with COPD. Am I wrong or do all diseases bring on depression? Unfortunately, I have never been able to take anti-depressants; I have always been high anxiety and hyper and those kinds of meds make me feel like I am going to jump out of my skin. Common sense tells me that it is the fear of not being able to breathe.
Some of the people on this forum like filcab, Dave and others make me think that it takes a major attitude adjustment.
Go to Top of Page

MaryAZ

USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  11:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Muffin: That is an interesting article. Thanks for sharing it. However, I question a lot of the trial/studies that I read about. I was surprised the number of re-hospitalizations of the people in this trial in one year. Also, the mention of smokers. These are not the kind of COPD patients that I would think need in the trial.

Here is a read on Depression from the Mayo Clinic. I have not read it all but suspect probably good reading.

Sandy; You have had a lot of suggestions I am sure. Here is one that you might think about. A chronic diagnosis such as COPD means we have lost something. This is not reversible. If we are at a stage where it hinders the things we used to do, then we need to make some adjustments. We are not going to die today from it, but we need to change the way we live our lives.

I think the main place to get to is "ACCEPTANCE". If we accept what has happened, then we do what we can with what we have. We take our meds, exercise, nutrition, doctors, whatever is for us.

It is like a grieving process. I know I was there and still slip back and have to work it again. I am well past the denial which is usually first and there are many stages getting to acceptance. Anger is one too.

If nothing else works, try 'fake it till you make it'. Pretend it doesn't bother you for a while and see what happens. Just a few thoughts that may and may not help. Try not to obssess about it. I still do that on occasion too.

Keep on learning Muffin and Sandy. It will all help.

Mary
Go to Top of Page

sandy

USA
132 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  11:12:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mary: Thank you for your words that so eloquently describe what us copd rookies have been going through. I am also heartened by the COPD awareness campaign that was posted by you and Dave late yesterday. My friends and family still ask "What's COPD?" For some reason I hate saying that I have Emphysema because It really seems to scare people. It feels like I'm a leper in a leper colony. When I was a little girl I had an Uncle that had E and he scared me to death. That was in the Fifties and there was very little medical help then. Sandy
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
3961 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  1:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Treating Depression May Improve COPD Outcomes

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) Jan 18 - Patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) who suffer from depression have poorer survival, suggesting that antidepressant or psychological interventions in depressed patients with COPD may improve outcomes, researchers write in the January 8th issue of the Archives of Internal Medicine.

Editors note: I decided to post it on this thread rather than start a new one. This article is the intro from a Medscape article this week.

Dave, Forum Administrator
COPD Support, Inc. http://www.copd-support.com/
Your source for peer support and COPD Info

Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com
Mobile chat room for pads and phone Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com/m

My Site: http://lungresources.com
Go to Top of Page

eves

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  11:02:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
POST DELETED