Weight gain after quitting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TINACA

USA
58 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  3:06:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if this is the right area but I will ask my question here. I quit smoking over 14 months ago and I now weigh 17 pounds more than I ever have. I do not eat more than before and have never been over weight. I did not panic at first because I have read not to worry about about it, once you quit you can work on losing it. I have tried everything and I am getting discouraged. Any advise would be appreciated?

Sam-Tx

591 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  4:20:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That same thing happened to my wife. Two years later, she went back to smoking. DON'T DO IT! It didn't help her lose any of the weight she had put on. Now, three years after that, and three more years of bad lung damage, she has quit again cold turkey after a bad chest cold. Now, she is staying off of sugar, sweets, chocolates, and most soft drinks. She is also eating smaller meals and finally doing the one thing that will take the weight off - exercise.
Set a treadmill up in front of a tv in my office so she can take her mind off of the exercise while she is doing it. 2 miles per hour for one hour each day. She still wants cigerettes, but I also showed her were it was costing her over five thousand a year on buying cigerettes, That's motivation, too.
Just stay off of candy and sweets and take long deep breaths. You'll make it!
Go to Top of Page

TINACA

USA
58 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  8:53:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sam! I appreciate your encouragement. I can not go back to smoking. I had quit for 3 years 15 years ago and if I had not gone back I probably would not have emphysema right now. Smoking is not an option :)
Go to Top of Page

homegirl1966
Rookie

USA
16 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  12:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also quit in 1998 do not want them or even crave them,But I also gained 50lbs Dr said it was normal to gain at least that.But I am having a hard time getting it off and really need to tread mills are so darn costly.Trying to find a good used one.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Ozone
Rookie

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2012 :  10:06:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I quit 13 weeks ago and have gained 12 pounds since. I was severely overweight to begin with and cannot afford the extra weight. The "eating everything in sight" phase is gone so now maybe I can work on the weight.

Your buddy,
Traci (AKA Ozone)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000