New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Phluffy
Rookie

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2012 :  07:57:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I quit smoking on December 27th, 1994 at 9 a.m. I'd been a 4 pack a day chain smoker for about 25 years. I was addicted. I tried every ridiculous "quit method" you can think of: aversion therapy, behavioral modification therapy, hypnosis, pills, patches, gums, you name it. Nothing worked. Nothing.

And then, on the day in question my doctor, whom I really liked said, "Look you're dying and there's nothing at all I can do about it unless you quit smoking right now, this instant. If you don't quit, I'll know and you'll have to find another doctor because I am sick and damned tired of watching patients who don't take my advice die in agony. So...what are you going to do?"

I quit, cold turkey. But I had help from an odd source. The veterinarian who cared for our pets at the time was a Zen Buddhist and he taught me what he called "a meditation" and which I think of as self-hypnosis, which worked stunningly well for me.

What he had me do was this: Every time I craved a cigarette I was to repeat the following to myself: "The desire for a cigarette is only a sensation. It has no power over you. You can experience it, examine it , let it wash over you but you need do nothing about it. The desire for a cigarette will go away, whether or not you smoke one"

The worst of the cravings were gone in 72 hours and I can honestly say I've never felt the urge in the last 15 years. I don't know for sure why it worked, but it did.

Smokers lie to themselves to permit continued smoking. I did, every smoker I know does it. To examine this idea try this: Every time you want to say anything about smoking that begins with the words "I can't" substitute the words "I don't want to". You'll be hewing closer to the truth, and it may make it easier to stay quit.

Good luck.

Ozone
Rookie

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2012 :  5:49:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
begins with the words "I can't" substitute the words "I don't want to".

I love this. It's true. We find every excuse in the book to keep smoking. I quit almost 14 weeks ago. I know that's just a drop in the bucket, but I'm keeping strong. When I was diagnosed with COPD is the day I quit. My doc told me that I wouldn't live to see 60 if I continued to smoke. THAT DID IT. I'd watched a friend die from lung cancer. That didn't do it. My mother in law died of COPD/emphazema and I watched her die. That didn't do it. It wasn't until I was facing it that I could quit. I honestly can't tell you how I'm staying motivated. Probably these tubes in my nose as a constant reminder. hehe

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000