nebulizer - xopenex or albuterol
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rosytomato
Contributing Member

1100 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  09:42:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those of us who use a nebulizer sometimes, has anyone noticed any difference between xopenex (if you've used it) and albuterol? Do you think one works better than the other?

I know we're not supposed to use DuoNeb if we use Spiriva, but most ER's and many doctors use DuoNeb. Do you think DuoNeb works better than xopenex or albuterol?

I also developed a rapid/irregular heart rate sometimes. My primary doc put be back on Toprol XL 25 mg, which helped a lot with the heart related issues. It is a cardio selective BP med, very low dose. One pulmo wanted it changed, and that's when I started having a lot of problems.

My zopenex is written as 3 x a day, duoneb is written 2x day, (Ventolin inhaler as 4 x a day), albuterol 4x day, all say as needed.

I have prescriptions for all three so I find this confusing. While the albuterol does give me the shakes, I thought it might have worked just a little better than the xopenex. DuoNeb also gives me the shakes. Any thoughts?

I had to stop the Symbicort. Might ask to give Advair a try, or even try the Symbicort again. I think I was using the nebulizer just way too much in the beginning of my diagnosis. Right now I am only taking Spiriva, Flovent and Singulair.

Thanks.
Rosy

Edited by - rosytomato on Jun 20 2012 09:47:49 AM

GaGirl

604 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  10:06:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to use Xopenex as well for heart rate issues. I have not tried it in the nebulizer and can only address the inhaler.

ADC has a generic Xopenex inhaler called Levolin and it works for breathing at least as well as albuterol (sometimes I think it's better). It also seems to do a better job at keeping my heart rate down than Xopenex. It definitely keeps it down better than albuterol.

I have ordered the generic inhalation solution but it hasn't gotten here yet so I can't address that.

Xopenex is just too expensive. I was going through an inhaler every 16 days and they cost $63 each.
Go to Top of Page

GaGirl

604 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  10:13:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you think DuoNeb works better than xopenex or albuterol?

It definitely works better than albuterol.
Go to Top of Page

GaGirl

604 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  10:18:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(I hope I'm not just making one useless post after another.)

If the heart rate issues are new for you, you might not have noticed yet that they are at their worst in the evening. That's certainly been my experience and my cardio confirms they work that way.

Because of that I sometimes use duoneb in the AM and during the early part of the day when my breathing is bad and then switch to Xopenex (or its generic) around late afternoon.
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

1100 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  1:43:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GaGirl,

I guess that's why they use DuoNeb in the ER's. The heart rate issue started when I started the copd meds, but I think I just was overloading myself because I had no idea what I was doing.
Go to Top of Page

Rita1

451 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  9:57:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I switched from albuterol as a "rescue" inhaler to Xopenex because of rapid heart rate. I think the albuterol worked much better but, even with metoprolol (generic toprol), my heart rate went way up almost every time I used the albuterol. I hardly ever use the xopenex because I space my other inhalants - Symbicort in a.m., Spiriva in late p.m. and Symbicort again at night. Every time I think I'm having a bad sob episode and think I could use xopenex, it's almost time for either Symbicort or Spiriva.

Rita
Go to Top of Page

mcarolbarber

USA
104 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  02:01:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I switched to Xoponex because the shakes from the Albuterol were too much. I also have a high heart rate and take diltiazem, 60mg twice a day.My pressure has always been fine, around 100/60 to 110/70. Did you ever get checked my a cardiologist? Mine found that I had PSVT which is paroxysmal supraventricular tacycardia, which is just a rapid heart rate. I'm usually at 100-105 resting and walking is around 110. Excitment can bring it higher. I also take Advair 250/50 and spiriva in the AM and find that neither of them raise my heart rate. The anxiety usually does that and for that I take .5 ativan. Hope this helps.

Mary
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

1100 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  1:21:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mary,
Is Ativan the same type of drug as xanax? I see the dosage is similar. I use the xanax when the anxiety gets the better of me.

How does the Advair work for you? The Symbicort was very hard on me. Usually most people have their preference on which one they think works better. I have a friend who alternates between the Symbicort & Advair.

I did wear an 24 holter event monitor that showed and irregular heart rate. I never had a problem before I started taking the COPD meds.

I used the xopenex in the nebulizer for the first time yesterday and it made me a little dizzy, actually and a little shaky raised my heart rate just a little, but just for a short time. Hoping not to have to use it or the albuterol much.

Rosy

Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3201 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  4:58:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Irregular heart beat is common with lung disease because the heart is trying harder to pump out oxygenated blood. Every cardiologist I have been to has told me that they find most their patients that have COPD tend to have an irregular heart beat from time to time. It is not usually a serious problem though when you feel it it can me you anxious.
Go to Top of Page

mcarolbarber

USA
104 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  6:57:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rosie, I've never used the xopenex in a nebulizer, I just have the pump and it's only for rescue. I've been taking the Advair since 2002 and never had a problem. I started the Spiriva in September 2010 and it seems to work fine. Ativan is the same as xanax, but not supposed to be as addictive. My problem with Ativan is that it doesn't make me sleepy. I cut the pill in half and take .25mg in the morning and I take the other half at bedtime if I need it. At times I do take a whole pill. The ativan seems to work within 20 minutes for me and does calm me down.
I also wore that holter monitor, did the thalium stress test, multiple EKG's and had an echo, no heart trouble. I've always had a high heart rate but since my son passed it's escalated and that's why I take the diltiazem (cardizem).
Hope this helps............Mary

Mary
Go to Top of Page

mendo bruce

USA
92 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  7:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DuoNeb is albuterol and ipratropium (atrovent). Xoponex is levalbutorol a form of albuterol that supposedly is absorbed by the lung tissues but not absorbed by the blood-stream and thus eliminates rapid heart beat and other side effects. Consult your doctor before combining any of these drugs to avoid double medicating with fast acting bronchio-dialators (Then again, it maybe that some need a "double-dose") The same can be said for combining atrovent (or duoneb) and spiriva. It used to be thought that they shouldn't be combined since they did essentially the same thing, but lately some doctors have been intentionally combining them for some patients.
Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3201 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  8:50:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I take 1 mg of Ativan for sleep. Anything less than that does nothing. .50 of Xanax is about the same as 1mg of Ativan but the Xanax gives me bad dreams. As a rule doctors will give Ativan over Xanax but they are both addictive.
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

1100 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  3:02:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So then Ativan must be stronger than Xanax. I wonder why doctors would rather give Ativan?
Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3201 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  3:12:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why would you say Ativan is stronger if .5mg in Xanax equals 1mg in ATivan. 1mg in Xanax is much stronger that 1mg in Ativan.
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
4710 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  8:04:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still say Ativan is not addictive. Of course, I only take .5 mg a day so I guess that's not an addictive amount.

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

The Bad News: Time flies as you get older.
The Good News: Youíre still the pilot.

Penny's Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

And Our Travel Blog After LVRS

Go to Top of Page

bluzman

181 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  9:27:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
xanax -has a shorter half life and is best for panic attacks.
ativan -longer half life and best used for sleep or anxiety.ativan has a higher abuse potential than xanax....
all benzodiazapams,valium,xanax & ativan can be addictive..depending on frequency and amount....
Go to Top of Page

Sam-Tx

527 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  11:30:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Irregardless of who might be more right on any subject, I am constantly amazed at the wonderful levels of knowledge displayed by so many here.
On behave of some of us less informed dummies, thank you all for your comments and advise. Please keep it up for the rest of us.
Thanks,
Sam-Tx
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
4710 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  12:24:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those were the words, bluzman..."depending on frequency and amount..." Pain pills can also be addicting. Heck, a lot of the stuff we take, eat, drink, or do can be addicting to those with addictive personalities. I was totally addicted to Great Value Jelly Beans....until I couldn't find them in the store anymore. Took a long time to get over those!! Almost as bad as quitting smoking, LOL.

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

Go to Top of Page

George_NY

USA
104 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  10:50:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Years in recovery from drug and alcohol abuse and I worry about addictions, a lot. But up until first exacerbation thought stopping smoking was the worst addiction to try to over come. The found out how addicting oxygen is. Now have to force myself to take the hose off when sitting. Even though my sat is 93 - 95 without.
Adictive personality.

FEV1 67, O2 2 LM / 3LM to exercise etc... also had heart attack N double bypass, enlarged lungs and Hiatle Hernia.
Curmudgeon
Go to Top of Page

Granny Sue

USA
262 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  2:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George, I had to laugh when I read your post, I totally understand. My drug of choice is carbohydrates and I'm having a heck of a time dealing with it. But I can also get addicted to knitting, crocheting and computers.

Sam, I agree and very well put.

Granny Sue
If I knew grandkids were so much fun, I'd have had them first!
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
4710 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  3:17:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why bother taking the hose off at all, George? Why not just turn the O2 down?

I think O2 is addictive from the day we're born until the day we die, LOL.

Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3201 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  4:15:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bluzman

xanax -has a shorter half life and is best for panic attacks.
ativan -longer half life and best used for sleep or anxiety.ativan has a higher abuse potential than xanax....
all benzodiazapams,valium,xanax & ativan can be addictive..depending on frequency and amount....

Where did you see that Ativan has a higher abuse potential than Xanax? That is the exact opposite of what most doctors have told me.
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

1100 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  6:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CarolCA

Why would you say Ativan is stronger if .5mg in Xanax equals 1mg in ATivan. 1mg in Xanax is much stronger that 1mg in Ativan.

My mistake Carol, sorry. I never tried Ativan, but did have a paradoxal reaction once to Valium...it was awful.
Go to Top of Page

sandalshoes
Rookie

USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  6:29:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad I read this ....questioned the two 24 heart monitors.....no answers.......all other ect....bla bla okay....maybe another one to chalk up to copd...

lou
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
4710 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  6:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lou, what are you talking about?

Go to Top of Page

hamtol

USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  12:37:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Douneb is the same as combivent?
Go to Top of Page

bluzman

181 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  02:30:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not sure which lorazapam/ativan site i saw that on,but all the sites say it can be habit forming,and if taking on a long term regular basis do not stop taking abruptly.i read that ativan is less toxic than the xanax or valium which in my opinion is probobaly the reason it is favored by many doctors...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000