Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

la.musiclady

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  9:28:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone taking supplements for your COPD?

I've been doing some serious reading and it appears that there are some that are very good for us and our breathing. Also some that reduce the mucus and some healing may be in some of them if taken properly.

The combination of some of them builds new cells etc.

Any comments? I'm very curious.

BVL

Becky

103 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  10:42:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What kind of supplements? Vitamins? This sounds really interesting and I'm curious too.
Go to Top of Page

Sam-Tx

526 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  10:58:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what qualifies as a supplement. I take Advair, albuteral inhaler, xopenex emergency inhaler, predisone 10 mg/day, and a fairly new one called Daliresp. Also take an anxiety pill, a depression pill, a prostate pill, a multivitamin pill, and a thyroid pill.
The pharmacist runs to open the door for me when I come in!
Go to Top of Page

Becky

103 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  11:23:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL...about your pharmacist! I take my bp med (lisinopril) daily, my spiriva daily, and zantac 2x day...(my stomach has a tendency to make extra acid). I have lorazapam on hand and take it as needed, which lately hasn't been much at all. As far as supplements go, I don't know much about them. I am wondering tho if taking a mulitvitamin would be helpful. Do you think it helps you Sam?
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
4699 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  11:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sam, why are you taking the albuteral AND the xopenex?

Becky, often people will find that just having the anti-anxiety pill on hand helps them not need it as much.

You can’t change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

The Bad News: Time flies as you get older.
The Good News: You’re still the pilot.

Penny's Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

And Our Travel Blog After LVRS

Go to Top of Page

Sam-Tx

526 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  08:06:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Becky, I take Centrum Silver, one pill a day and yes, I do think it helps - long term. But, that's just me.

Penny, I carry the xopenex in my pocket. Only use if out and feel severe sob. Albuteral is used at home two to four times a day in atomizer.
Go to Top of Page

la.musiclady

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  08:58:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Becky, obviously I didn't make myself clear. I am talking about natural supplements. I started on some this morning and I am confident that they will help me. I take Lisinopril, Levethroxin, Albuterol(when needed)and Dulera, Magnesium and Potassium. There is a site on line that you can check any natural supplement against any medication to see if there is any known reactions etc. Also a good vit-min supplement from a health food store has less filler put into it. It may be a little more expensive, but you have pure stuff. You can ask them and they will tell you.

These are some of the supplements.

• Vitamin C (as calcium or magnesium ascorbate)
• Vitamin E (as mixed tocopherols
• Vitamin D3
• Grape seed extract
• Probiotics
• Magnesium citrate/malate

Some are for energy, some are for immune system and then there are some that are for cell care. Alot of doctors do not agree with supplements, however there are some that do and there are some doctors that are getting out of the regular practice and going with natural supplements and use of pharmacutical meds.

Regards,
BV

BVL
Go to Top of Page

Becky

103 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  09:51:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info musiclady. It is interesting and I plan on looking in to this. I don't see how it can do any harm anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Sandy07

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  10:31:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I take the same as la.musiclady minus the grape seed extract but plus B12 and omega 3. I have much more energy since I started the B12 and omega 3.
Go to Top of Page

GaGirl

604 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  11:17:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How much B-12 do you take?
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
4699 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  2:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sam, I'm sorry. I read that you use the albuteral inhaler. That's why I asked. My mistake.

Those that are taking the B12. Have you been blood tested to see if you're low on it?

You can’t change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3195 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  2:56:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I was tested and was low, same with Vit D3. Other than that I don't take any supplements, vitamins or otherwise. Never have, never felt the need. My immune system seems just fine and after they found problems with Vit E after many years of pushing it on people to me it was just a warning flag that most these things are a fad. I think all most people get by pretty well on a Multivitamin but I just have never felt the need nor do my doctors feel anything other than a Multivitamin is called for but not necessary. Maybe if I were sickly and always getting some infection I might change my mind. Most vitamins I have tried tear up my stomach anyway.
Go to Top of Page

la.musiclady

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  3:51:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sandy: People that are totally unaware of supplements and their benefits really should investigate them. Its a proven fact that the immune system is compromised with COPD and anything that can help that is a good thing. I also have acupuncture once a week and its now rare that I have to use the albuterol inhalers. I still use the Dulera but as long as the supplements and acupuncture do me good, then I am not going to quit using them. Years ago i used supplements and was never sick. Omega 3 is a miracle supplement. These supplements keep you from being sickly and getting infections. The AMA doesn't always have the correct answers. Its all on an individual basis. What works for you and I might not work for anyone else. All I say is when a reputable physician from LSU recommends something for COPD, I'm going to pay attention. Their School of Medicine is one of the best in the nation.

Have a great day,
BV

BVL
Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3195 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  4:43:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not have a compromised immune system. I have been told that by more than one pulmo that just because I have COPD doesn't not mean automatically that I have a compromised immune system which is what is mentioned so often on the forums. Compromised lungs, absolutely but I have had one infection in 12 years and that was minor. As you said everyone has to do what is right for them. Believing something helps is half the battle so to speak. Not trying to argue here just stating that what is good for one is not always good for another. I believe in being tested for whatever you can be before you start popping pills other than maybe a Once a Day vitamin. I have heard too much possibly dangerous advice regarding supplements over the years given by people who were well meaning on different forums. It just isn't all cut and dried. For years people raved about Vit E and people were taking it like crazy. Then they found that smokers actually had more lung cancer if they took Vit E and that it wasn't good for you heart so everyone threw away the Vit E. Same with HRT and the list is long so before everyone jumps on something totally research it, talk to your Doctors, most of us have more than one Doctor and then decide.
Go to Top of Page

bluzman

181 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  4:49:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my pulmo wrote down that along with my meds i should take calcium,probiotics and 2000 iu of vitamin D3...then verbaly mentioned how important it was to take the vitamin D...my nurse at health dept who specializes in heart and COPD also told me about the importance of taking vitamin D3 and the literature she gave me about COPD says that taking vitamin D3 is of upmost importance....
Go to Top of Page

sslei

58 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  4:54:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have any of you ever used MSM? Last year I was taking 3 capsules
a day and I thought it helped some. Got away from it this year
during the urinary tract infection as I was taking antibiotics.
but I have started again.

I just take the ones I buy at Walmart, but I think a purer form
might be better.

Type in msm for lung function on Google.

It does not hurt you anyhow.

Sandylei
Go to Top of Page

Granny Sue

USA
262 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  5:10:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a good reminder for me as I seem to get sick at the drop of a hat. I used to take several supplements along with a multivitamin and gradually ran out and didn't replace them. I'm currently taking potassium (prescribed to counteract the effects of a diuretic) and iron, prescribed by dr. I'm really looking for some energy, so I'll definitely be looking at those suggestions.

Granny Sue
If I knew grandkids were so much fun, I'd have had them first!
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
4699 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  6:17:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
musiclady, it is not a true statement that it's a proven fact that the immune system is compromised with COPD. Some people might have compromised immune systems but they've probably had that their whole life. Like Carol, I have a very strong immune system and have had that from way before I was diagnosed with copd. Those with chronic bronchitis might have compromised immune systems but most of that is from the excess mucous their body produces. Great breeding ground for germs.

bluzman, calcium, probiotics and vitamin D3 are often recommended for everyone once they reach a certain age. If you take calcium, you have to also take the Vit D so the bones can assimilate the calcium better.

Go to Top of Page

Rita1

449 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  7:27:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are low on potassium, magnesium and/or vitamin D, or anything else, then, of course it is vital that you supplement the amount you get from food or the sun. Your pcp can order blood tests to see what your levels are. When I asked my doctors about particular supplements, I was told that extra magnesium wouldn't hurt anything, I don't need any more Vitamin D so it would be a waste of money, yes to fish oil and no to Potassium.

That's me; you might want to check with your doctor re your particular need for a supplement. You might also want to see a report on this topic done by ABC news last fall. It's called: "Women Taking Diet Supplements Should Think Twice, Study Says". You can find it on line at abcnews.go.com.

I learned just this week from a local news broadcast that an ongoing study begun in 2008 has shown that some manufacturers of supplements are not reliable. After testing the ingredients, the researchers found that, in many cases, there was less and, once in a while, more, of the amount of the vitamin or mineral than shown on the label. Worse, some had contaminants in with the supplement. The recommendation was to look for the letters "USP" on the label because that shows the ingredients match the label. See usp.org

Rita in Chicago
Go to Top of Page

George_NY

USA
104 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  7:30:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've taken a lot of supplements over the years. I still take B complex due to my anxiousness. I also take fish oil for my heart and calcium. The only supplement I have taken that I have noticed any difference is Acetyl L-Carnitine. This is supposed to improve cognitive function, increase energy, increase motivation, and some othe benefits. I have noticed that my exercise has nearly doubled since I started taking this. I also exercise more often. Cognitive fuction I have not noticed and change.

FEV1 67, O2 2 LM / 3LM to exercise etc... also had heart attack N double bypass, enlarged lungs and Hiatle Hernia.
Curmudgeon
Go to Top of Page

mendo bruce

USA
92 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  9:00:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Although L-carnitine has been marketed as a weight-loss supplement, there is no scientific evidence to show that it improves weight loss; however, some studies show that oral carnitine reduces fat mass, increases muscle mass, and reduces fatigue. All of these effects may indirectly contribute to weight loss."[17] Furthermore, whereas researchers in the 20th century failed to show that muscle carnitine content could be increased by dietary supplementation, this may have been in part due to inadequate lengths of the supplementation periods.[18] In 2011, researchers using L-carnitine L-tartrate supplementation for six months in a well-controlled study demonstrated not only increased muscle carnitine in subjects without carnitine deficiencies, but also an impact on muscle metabolism and performance; however, measurements of lipid oxidation were not taken in this study, and further research is needed.[19]

Regular supplements of L-carnitine, however, contribute to energy metabolism and improved neurotransmitter function in the brain in elderly patients.[20]

L-carnitine levels are lower in moderate persistent asthmatic children as compared to healthy control children. Asthmatic children who received L-carnitine supplementation for six months showed statistically significant improvement in their 'asthma control testing' and in their pulmonary function tests."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnitine

Go to Top of Page

glane

152 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  10:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Penny, According to the National Jewish Medical & Research Center in Denver, COPD is an immunodeficiency which in turn makes it more difficult for the body to stop and kill invading organisms from infections.

Go to Top of Page

glane

152 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  10:27:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rita, I agree with your comments about vitamin supplements! I'm not against them but I think too many people are duped in to taking more than they need. It's called marketing.
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
3404 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  11:50:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I take vitamin D.

Dave, Forum Administrator
COPD Support, Inc. http://www.copd-support.com/
Your source for peer support and COPD Info

Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com
Mobile chat room for pads and phone Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com/m

My Site: http://lungresources.com
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
4699 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  01:18:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gloria, not everyone (in fact, a very small percentage of people) who has copd also has a compromised immune system or else we'd all be getting infections, sick, etc.

Go to Top of Page

la.musiclady

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  08:13:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gloria, I read that myself and also on several other sites. Chronic Bronc is a member of the COPD family. So is Asthma. I'm sure not everyone gets infections, however, I read alot about pneumonia and various infections. There again, is it bacterial or viral?

There are bad guys in the vitamin/supplement industry just like there are bad guys in the medical field. You just have to check them out, ask around. Sometimes other doctors will tell you.

If a person has a reputable herbalist, is having good luck with the supplements and is doing better...I don't see a problem. For sure, if it doesn't hurt you, gives you energy and gets you off of your rear and you can function doing your normal rountine as long as possible, I say go for it! AND talk to your pum about! Not all of us are unaware and buy into the marketing idea as you said.

Have a great day,
BV

BVL
Go to Top of Page

Sandy07

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  09:02:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The people with the Chronic Bronchitis part of COPD are the ones that get the infections. A poll should be done to find out how many people this would be. I'm sure you'd find that more than 50% have Bronchitis and get infections quite frequently. It starts as a "smokers' cough. I was told I had it long before the emphysema. I was getting at least 3 exacerbations a year. Since I added a few more vitamins it has decreased and I am feeling better all over.

I had a blood test done at the university hospital in Edmonton when I had an exacerbation 2 yrs. ago. It showed my B12 was 101. Anything less than 100 was considered too low. The doctor said I was to show my report to my GP. I did. The GP said I didn't need supplements or B12 shots. Funny....one doctor says take them and one says no. I trust the doctor at the University hospital more than I do the "now fired" GP (fired for a different reason). I'm taking 1- 1200mcg twice a day. I just had blood tests last week and should find out at my app't next week if taking the pills has brought it up.
They just recently started testing for B12 and Vit. D. They've realized the importance of getting enough. The extreme of low Vit. D is rickets. My mother had it as a child. Vitamin E has yet to be proven. I found it worked for my father after he had 3 heart attacks. His East Indian doctor told him to take gradually increasing amounts of Vit. E. When he died 5 yrs. later from prostate cancer his heart was fine. Vit. E is supposed to help get rid of scar tissue. It worked on my father's scars from the heart attacks but it doesn't work for all types of scars. I don't know why not.

I find myself shaking my head at all the supplements Dr. Oz thinks we should be taking. We'd never have room in our stomachs for food if we took everything he is promoting.
Go to Top of Page

Bo H

USA
987 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  10:14:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have very severe Emphysema and Chronic Bronchitis. I use Advair 50/500 instead of 50/250 because using double the amount of the Corticosteroid reduces the amount of exacabations I have. Before the increase in Flovent I was having an exercabation every 3 or 4 months. Now I have maybe 1 a year, 2 at the most, and sometimes none, and I am out and about all the time.

Bo in Al
Go to Top of Page

worried son

USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  10:29:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I understand about the various supplements, one hard and fast rule tends to come in mind:

Check with a doctor first before taking any supplements.

Since I was diagnosed with High Blood Pressure, I've been reading many more labels before taking anything OTC.

Typically, the best supplements to take are:

E and C

1,000 mg's of Vitamin C a day can help the immune system and it does help a bit when you have a cold. If you hate sour, look for the ones that have rose hips.

A note: Fat soluble vitamins can build up over time if you take too much on a daily basis.

If you take the multi-pill packs, you may see your urine change color due to the B vitamins. (fluorescent green or orange seem to be to 2 of the most common colors.)

People with COPD are taking many different drugs so talking with your doctor about taking any supplements before hand is a good precaution.

Sam-Tx, I only take 3 pills a day (2 for BP and 1 for GERD) and I don't know how you all can keep track of all the pills and stuff you have to take each day.

If life is a bowl of cherries, why do I keep getting only the sour ones?
Go to Top of Page

Sandyspen

USA
213 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  10:30:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just ordering some Nac myself. Does anyone know he difference between,
Acetyl L-Carnitine and N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine? Also, does anyone know if they're capsules and big as those darn "fish oil pills." It's the hardest thing to find small capsules. I have an enlarged thyroid and can not swallow those huge capsules.

Yep, when I was in the hospital with an exacerbation they told me I was very low on D and needed to take that.

~ Sandy
"Happiness" is not a destination--it's the trip!
Go to Top of Page

worried son

USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  10:48:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A hint for the "horse pill" capsules:

You can put them in your mouth and let the outer coating dissolve and then wash it down with water. The stomach acids just do the same thing, just on the inside.

Go to Top of Page

Sandyspen

USA
213 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  12:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that info-- Never thought to do that. Thank goodness I use Mega Red (little cap), don't think I could handle the dissolved fishy pill. lol

~ Sandy
Go to Top of Page

GaGirl

604 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  3:25:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't part of the reason for the coating so that it won't dissolve before it gets to the stomach? Not sure that's always true, but I think it sometimes is.
Go to Top of Page

la.musiclady

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  4:04:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fish oil is not the only omega 3 oil....Borage Oil is good, Thyme Oil, HDA (Algae rather than fish, vegan). Flax Oil is excellent and it has an unusual taste but you don't taste and burp up the entire Atlantic Ocean or North Sea. I prefer the liquid since I don't like swallowing capsules and my body doesn't like to dissolve them either. Sometimes I use Olive Oil with lemon juice as a carrier for the oils. Like a tea. olive, squirt of lemon, and add your omega 3 oil of whichever you prefer. The Thyme Oil is good on a salad if mixed with Oil/Vinegar/little Garlic and Parmasean Cheese Dressing. Just a few suggestions to get the fish oil down or change oils....I hate fish oil..Left over days as a child when i was given codliver oil whether i needed it or not. I guess it worked. I was never sick!

BVL
Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3195 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  5:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I convinced my doctor to give me the B12 shots even though I was borderline low and it has helped me mentally and physically so much. Low B12 also affect digestion. People that take a lot of antacids and PPI's tend to be lower in B vitamins especially B12. There are many links recommending VIT E to lower risk of COPD but right under that are links that showed that there was a higher incidence of lung cancer among men who took VIT E so how the heck do you know what to do. I already have the COPD and I don't want the lung cancer.

Edited by - CarolCA on Jul 16 2012 5:19:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

mendo bruce

USA
92 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  8:27:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hemp Oil (Available at most health food stores) is extremely high in Omega 3 fatty acids. I like to put some in a saucer with some balsamic vinegar poured in. I dip pieces of Italian bread into it and it is delicious!
Go to Top of Page

worried son

USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  10:46:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GaGirl

Isn't part of the reason for the coating so that it won't dissolve before it gets to the stomach? Not sure that's always true, but I think it sometimes is.

Yep, however if you are one of the few who can't swallow pills whole, you find another way.

I take my Prevacid by opening up the capsules and dumping them in a spoon with apple sauce.

Be very glad you can't taste your pills, some are very nasty.

Go to Top of Page

la.musiclady

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  07:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mendo:

Forgot about the Hemp...hmmmm..I might make up a salad dressing with that!!! I don't eat bread to much but I eat tons of salad greens and fish...maybe a little lemon zest in it.......mind is clicking....Thanks for that info.

BVL

BVL
Go to Top of Page

George_NY

USA
104 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  1:50:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do some research on broccoli it is recommended by webMD and Lifescript as a supplement for COPD. especially as a sprout.

FEV1 67, O2 2 LM / 3LM to exercise etc... also had heart attack N double bypass, enlarged lungs and Hiatle Hernia.
Curmudgeon
Go to Top of Page

la.musiclady

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  4:16:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi George,
Thanks! I was reading last night that you can make veggie smoothie with Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts and Celery (season it up with something that is liken to V-8) and drink this once a day. That this is a wonderful for energy and keeping the machinery in order. Also that White Tea, drank 3 times a day is a tremendous bronchodilator. My doctor had told me that black tea was great for that too, however, it is so bland and I do add ginger and lemon or whatever to that. I had a friend going to the city, so they are supposed to bring me some white tea. I'll let you know....I'm going to attempt that veggie smoothie...not sure about that but what have we to lose?

Have a great day!
BV

BVL
Go to Top of Page

Sandyspen

USA
213 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  6:46:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, I can see a veggie smoothie with tomato juice as the liquid. In fact yummy like v-8. And I heard a doctor on TV say "the one thing everyone should eat every day is a tablespoon of tomato sauce, or juice."

~ Sandy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000