COPD Support - COPD Information
 A New Drug
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Becky

103 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  10:21:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a flyer in the mail today at work and it's an announcement about a drug called Tudorza Pressair. It's an inhalation powder for COPD and will be available in October, 2012. It is a long term treatment for bronchospams.

I don't know how it compares to Spiriva or the other drugs for the treatment of COPD, but it is encouraging to me to know that "they" are doing research and development for the treatment, and who knows, maybe a cure for COPD.

Have any of you heard of this drug? I haven't googled it yet but I will eventually.

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3156 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  10:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had never heard of this but from what I am reading it is in the same category as Spiriva and Atrovent with the same side effects. It is a 2x daily med. Since so many people are on Spiriva once a day I don't know why anyone would want to go to 2x a day for the same thing. You could not take both of them.

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm313052.htm
Go to Top of Page

Becky

103 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  10:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking that too as to why someone would want to switch to a drug that is 2x daily as opposed to 1x. I was thinking too that maybe it would work for someone who is drug sensitive and this one might be easier on them. I don't know....just a thought is all. I wear myself out sometimes by thinking. lol
Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3156 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  12:39:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spiriva doesn't help everyone but it does make me question so much going in to a drug that really doesn't sound like any big improvement. I didn't see where it was tested against those using Spiriva. They have really kept the wraps on this drug. Usually we hear years before it gets approved.
Go to Top of Page

glane

152 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  01:32:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's called big business, Carol: Here's the rest of the story: Tudorza enters an already crowded field of COPD treatments. It will compete with Boehringer Ingelheim and Pfizer Inc's Spiriva, which is also an inhaled drug that opens airways. Other treatments for chronic lung disease are inhaled steroids such as AstraZeneca Plc's Symbicor and GlaxoSmithKline Plc's Advair.
Aclidinium sales are expected to reach $164 million in 2015, according to analysts at Sanford Bernstein. The average forecast of analysts polled by Thomson Reuters is $248 million.
The relatively modest sales forecasts - and the widely expected approval - may explain why shares of Forest closed down 1.8 percent on Monday afternoon at $34.28.
The drug is one of several that Forest is counting on to increase profits now that its blockbuster antidepressant, Lexapro, faces generic competition.
Go to Top of Page

Bo H

USA
970 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  09:35:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think having a new drug is great, even if its similiar to one we already have. Since everyone is different the more choices we have the better. If it will help me more than Spiriva I will take it as many times a day as needed. I'm not interested in money, I'm interested in being able to breathe.

Bo in Al
Go to Top of Page

Becky

103 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  10:02:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you Bo. Well said! I'm not a business person, just a person that wants to stay as healthy as possible and will do what it takes to do so.
Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1203 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  11:17:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just did a little research and the Tudorza contains aclidinium as opposed to Spiriva, which uses tiotropium. They are both anticholinergics and LAMAs (long acting muscarine antagonists), but the two different substances target different receptors in the bronchial airways. You couldn't compare them properly because we don't know enough now to know why some people would respond positively to tiotropium and not to aclidinium so you couldn't differentiate your sample population sufficiently. Since they act on different receptors, even if they're in the same drug classification, they operate differently. As we identify more and more markers for COPD, we'll eventually know how to do that, but then we'll know why some people react better to aclidinium than tiotropium and it won't be necessary.

While it may not seem like any improvement at all to have a med you have to take twice a day as opposed to once a day, if the results were generally better for you, it would be worth it. One of the thing we're learning about COPD is that each individual's case is a bit different from the last guy's, and the more we can individualize treatment, the better off we are. It may be that some people will respond much better to the Tudorza than they have with Spiriva, and that people who haven't had any luck with or really bad experiences with Spiriva will have an alternative in the long-acting realm. Right now people who can't use Spiriva are stuck with short-acting drugs; now there'a long acting one that may work for them, even if you do have to take it twice a day.

What we really want is to get to the point where we can individualize treatment for COPD just like we individualize treatment for various types of cancer. This is another step in that direction. It may not be a very big one, but it's a step and that's positive.

Jean

Exercise not only lets me live, it enables me to have a life.
Go to Top of Page

Becky

103 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  12:55:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very well said Jean.
Go to Top of Page

Bobby g

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  1:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spiriva is useless for me. After two days I'm lucky to pee by the drop. I think many males are effected this way by the tiotropium.
I could use a long term affective drug without the side affects.

Bob Gorsuch
Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3156 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  6:04:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Males have to be especially careful with anticholinergics. I have stomach meds that have the same side effects because they are antispasm type drugs. They can also cut down on the stream for females. Perhaps this one will not be as bad since it is a 2x a day drug.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000