COPD/High BP and dental "conscious sedaton"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dianeaz

USA
42 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2012 :  07:53:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Help, I'm scared. I have to have a dental procedure, he wants me to have conscious sedation due to my nerves(triazolam). He says I will be able to communicate etc. but may fall asleep. I want nitrous oxide but I've read with COPD you can't have it. I understand my COPD is considered moderate. Before I was diagnosed with COPD a yr ago.I had nitrous oxide and no problems. I'm terrified about sedation and would rather have the gas. (The dental procedure is drilling out old fillings and doing porcelean overlays for 5 teeth) no surgery etc. I'm more terrified by shots but after I'm numb, dental noises, etc. do not bother me. I also concerned about BP meds. My pulmonary DR. says no problem with sedation but was not very attentive to my concerns.

Bo H

USA
994 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2012 :  08:34:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had Severe COPD over 25 years and I have gotten Nitrous Oxide, any kind of pain med, or anything I wanted or needed to be comfortable in any kind of procedure. You don't have to stop doing ordinary things just because you have lung disease. Stay out of smoke and as much pollution as possible and continue living a normal life.

Bo in Al

Edited by - Bo H on Oct 03 2012 08:35:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
4733 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2012 :  12:13:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As soon as my dentist heard I had copd, that was the end of nitrous oxide for me, too. Why are you so terrified about sedation? That's what you get when you have your colonoscopy and other stuff that I can't remember now. It's a piece of cake. You might remind him, though, that you had nitrous oxide before you were diagnosed with copd AND you had even had copd before you were diagnosed.

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

The Bad News: Time flies as you get older.
The Good News: Youíre still the pilot.

Penny's Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

And Our Travel Blog After LVRS

Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

1107 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2012 :  2:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish I was offered conscious sedation for all the dental work I am having done, and mine did include some surgery, I would have said yes in a minute. Now I have to take a xanax before each visit.

Bo, you never cease to amaze me with your answers.
Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2012 :  5:37:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If this being done at a regular dentist or a oral surgeon. Recently there was a Nightline episode on how dentists take a weekend course in sedation dentistry and they are not really that experienced with it but it is the big trend right now. Apparently there is more worry with kids. Why not have your primary care doctor order either some Valium, Xanax and take it by mouth and have someone drive you? You should be relaxed enough and not have to worry about the sedation. That is a lot of work to have done without something. Why not ask him to just sedate you for the shots and that you want to be awake after that. If your pulmo was not concerned and you have only moderate COPD it should be fine if you dentist is experienced. You might want to find how long he has been doing it. It doesn't sound like a quick procedure.

As Penny said it is what they use for colonscopies but they do do that many times a day and it is usually watched by a dedicated nurse.
Go to Top of Page

Dianeaz

USA
42 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2012 :  07:49:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm 68 and too paranoid. The dentist was featured in "Best Dentists in Arizona" magazine. Expert in cosmetic and restorative dentistry, highly trained, fixed my TMD, and I don't doubt his qualifications. Pulmonologist says no problem with sedation and also 2 different pharmacists told me the same thing, but I'm still scared,(no surgery involved, just removing fillings and doing porcelean overlays). Dentist said if I don't get this done I will have to have root canals as my teeth are cracked and 30-year old fillings are "leaking". I'm also wondering if I should get a second opinion before going ahead with this. I'm just beside myself with COPD, high BP and now this problem and expense ($4,000) at my age. I'm wondering about bottom dentures. I guess I need a shrink.
Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2012 :  1:19:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A second opinion is always a good thing. I don't pay much attention to those magazines though. They are usually high priced doctors. that said if you can avoid lower dentures you should because they are very difficult to wear compared to uppers which can be difficult enough but maybe there is another solution. Actually the price doesn't sound that bad for all that. I am not sure what a porcelain overlay is. Is that a crown? because they are very expensive where I live. It would be much more for 5 crowns here.
Go to Top of Page

Dianeaz

USA
42 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2012 :  07:01:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
$4000 is my share after insurance! They are like a crown where the root is still good. If I wait I will need root canals. Also, my fillings are old and "leaking" and they can't be refilled. If I was 40 this would be different but I'm 68.
Go to Top of Page

Sandy07

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2012 :  10:40:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bottom dentures aren't too bad if you have some teeth they can hook on to. I've had a full upper and a partial bottom (have 6 front teeth of my own) for over 40 yrs. No problem. The dentist put the dentures in my mouth while I was still asleep after having had 13 teeth pulled. I think that is why I've never had a problem. Most dentists will tell you to wait for it to heal and shrink. People get so used to it they can't wear dentures after that.
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
4733 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2012 :  1:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More and more of the dentists are putting the dentures in directly after the pulling.

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

The Bad News: Time flies as you get older.
The Good News: Youíre still the pilot.

Penny's Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

And Our Travel Blog After LVRS

Go to Top of Page

Granny Sue

USA
262 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2012 :  2:24:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to be terrified of dentists, but finally figured out, like you, it was the shots that scared me. After that, it's all ok. That being said, I agree with Carol that taking a xanax or something similar and getting someone to drive you sounds like a good solution. I don't understand why getting your teeth fixed at 68 is any different than getting them fixed at 40. None of us knows how long we'll be on this earth, you could have another 40 years to go - and wouldn't it be nice to go all that time with a pretty smile and no tooth pain?

Granny Sue
If I knew grandkids were so much fun, I'd have had them first!
Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2012 :  8:46:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At that price have you thought about implants.
They have been putting dentures in after pulling for years. I have had mine about 25 years and that is the way mine was done. Usually you need to have them relined after your gums shrink. If you have some teeth on the bottom is isn't considered a denture but a partial plate, I think. If they are talking bottom dentures they are thinking about total loss of teeth. That is really tough as there is no suction.

Diane, it sounds to me like they are just porcelain crowns. They don't use alloys like they use to for crowns even in the back. I would say go for it. I think if you ever need a root canal they can go thru the crown. I had every tooth in my mouth crowned at one time and I still ended up with a denture because they started to move and I didn't want to mess with more dentistry. I just had a new denture made and hate it so even dentures are not the answer as it means more trips to dentist.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000