New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LindaP
Rookie

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2013 :  8:16:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I'm new here and have quit smoking for all most 3 weeks now, Sunday will be 3 full weeks.

I have smoked for a very long time, and just decided I had to quit while I was ahead so to speak.. Was always a closet smoker , never wanted anyone to know that I smoked.
My head knew that it wasn't the smartest thing to do, but I just couldn't say Good-Bye to them...So on Sunday Jan 27 , I smoked by last one... Been praying a lot, used the patch for about 10 days and using the gum when I thought I would give in. I had to back off the gum a bit, as my tough got cranker sores on it and I kept biting my cheek, so that had a sore on it...anyway I had to back off the gum .

I am also the caregiver to my 81 yo Mother who has had COPD for a very long time. But she is getting much worse these days...I have been on the COPD sites and maybe this part of my reason for quitting ...

I am wondering why there doesn't seem to be recent posts to this forum?? Most have very old dates. I am on the site for smokers to quit, right??

tsainta
Contributing Member

USA
1567 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2013 :  10:38:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are at the right place. But you are a step up on most posters. You are quitting smoking before you have a diagnosis of COPD. Most wanna-be or recent quitters are there because of a diagnosis and respiratory distress. So they post under other headings. By the way, congratulations. You're a lot smarter than I was. I waited for the distress and diagnosis.

Tony-CA

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went, and then it dawned on me.
Go to Top of Page

rds70

USA
143 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2013 :  5:08:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
posted this for gene also, it may help to hear another's story.
Linda I want to chime in. glad you are on the right track. I quit in 2002, am now 43 yrs. old. as scout said, its the best thing you can ever do for yourself. I don't have any bombshell advice or way to stop, but here's what happened to me. tried hundreds of times literally. went to prayer and started exercise program which helped knock the edge off. for me the first month was a milestone. I just didn't think as a smoker anymore. it got a little easier after that first month. I don't go to bars, and tried not to be around where a lot of smokers were. after an amount of time and the Lords help, I can be in front of someone smoking and not really notice. takes time for that. prayer was the biggest weapon I had.
Go to Top of Page

LindaP
Rookie

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2013 :  8:31:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, just found this old post of mine,when I was just 3 weeks into my quit. I thought I would update you all. Sept. 27th I will have be quit for 8 months... WooHoo!

Can't believe it, but it's true and still going strong, Praise The Lord.!

I have been through all kinds of stress in these months, but I will not smoke and have not smoked or taken a puff. I lost my Mom in April, she died of COPD..@ the age of 81. Very difficult time in my life. We made a move in June to a smaller home, sold the big one and bought an old town home, lots of remodeling . Life has been a whirlwind ...

I pray I can keep this mindset as I love the freedom from cigarettes !

I pray you are all doing just as well as I am......Linda

Linda L. Pollino
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
3893 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2013 :  11:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Dave, Forum Administrator
COPD Support, Inc. http://www.copd-support.com/
Your source for peer support and COPD Info

Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com
Mobile chat room for pads and phone Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com/m

My Site: http://lungresources.com
Go to Top of Page

Sokcap48

USA
758 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2013 :  08:30:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great to hear!!! Stay off the cigs. Do you have any COPD signs yet? Do you excerise ? Once again GOOD for you stay smoke free? Paul

Paul-Ut
The Journey Continues.
Go to Top of Page

GaGirl

604 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2013 :  09:47:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yaayyyy!

I'm proud of you and pleased for you.
Go to Top of Page

LindaP
Rookie

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2013 :  8:45:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, it's me again. To answer the question about signs of COPD. I don't think I have any signs of it, but can you tell me what I should look for as the beginning of it...
I do think about it since my Mother had it and I really can't remember her 1st signs ...she had it for years and @ her time of death she had quit smoking like 20 plus years...
Go to Top of Page

GaGirl

604 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2013 :  9:00:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say look for shortness of breath. You can also have a spirometry test done. It's much simpler than a full pulmonary function test (which you'll want to have done if the spirometry test indicates COPD).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000