Azithromycin / Z Pak
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rosytomato
Contributing Member

1051 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  09:26:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has everyone read the "newest" warnings about z-pak? Apparently it's not new news either. I can't believe we weren't warned about this before. For those of us with tachy or irregular heart rates, z-pak should NOT be the antibiotic drug of choice.

What's going to be left to take for people like me who are allergic to other antibiotics? Levaquin and Cipro cause me to have terrible joint and tendon pain and nightmares (common side effects) of the quinolone antibiotics.

rosytomato
Contributing Member

1051 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  6:42:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a sinus infection. ENT is not giving me oral antibiotic, because I am so limited in what I can take, due to penicillin allergy. Just having me use gentimicin nasal rinse. My best antibiotic was z-pack but now I don't think I can take it because of the SVT.

Dave, I know you said you use this also. I'm a little nervous because I don't want this infection to get worse. My Pulmo (and PCP) is away. I'm wondering if the gentimicin will be enough to kill the infection.

Would anyone risk taking the z-pack?
Rosy
Go to Top of Page

judi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  7:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Is your infection very bad? If it isn't I would probably give it a few days to see what happens. Are your sinus' draining? I have chronic stuffiness from Flovent (I think its vasomotor rhinitis, it makes my nosse run too sometimes). I forgot if you take NAC? I don't know if you should take it with gentamicin but it seemed to shrink my nasal passages the few times I took it. It probably would't do any good if you aren't stuffy with swollen membranes though.

I had a recent misadventure with doxycycline and today discovered I have your leg drug rash....it just goes on and on doesn't it...sigh

I hope you get it figured out.

judi
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
3346 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  7:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Rosy, it is a great solution to a sinus infection.

Dave, Forum Administrator
COPD Support, Inc. http://www.copd-support.com/
Your source for peer support and COPD Info

Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com
Mobile chat room for pads and phone Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com/m

My Site: http://lungresources.com
Go to Top of Page

Scout
Contributing Member

USA
1011 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  7:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

what are the warnings about the Z-pack?

Connie-AR
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

1051 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2013 :  2:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Fox4News, March 13, 2013

"The Food and Drug Administration is requiring warning labels be placed on a widely-used antibiotic many know as the Z-pak. The government says azithromycin can cause rare, but deadly heart rhythms in some people. Both doctors and patients here who’ve used the drug say they continue to have confidence in it.

Physicians use the Z-pack to treat everything from ear infections in children to pneumonia in seniors. Despite warnings that azithromycin can cause deadly heart rhythms, patients like Paul Guignon say they’ve had good results using the drug. Guignon says he’ll trust his doctor to determine whether the Z-pack remains the best course of treatment."

Edited by - rosytomato on Mar 29 2013 2:21:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

1051 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2013 :  2:32:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by judi

Is your infection very bad? If it isn't I would probably give it a few days to see what happens. Are your sinus' draining? I have chronic stuffiness from Flovent (I think its vasomotor rhinitis, it makes my nosse run too sometimes). I forgot if you take NAC? I don't know if you should take it with gentamicin but it seemed to shrink my nasal passages the few times I took it. It probably would't do any good if you aren't stuffy with swollen membranes though.

I had a recent misadventure with doxycycline and today discovered I have your leg drug rash....it just goes on and on doesn't it...sigh

I hope you get it figured out.

Hi judi,
I haven't used NAC, but the Flovent is affecting my sinuses, and with chronic sinusitis for the last 20 years, it's been pretty tough.

What happened to you with the doxycycline?

My rash actually turned out to be something I've never heard of before, it's called Grover's Disease(no relation to the adorable Sesame Street character, LOL). Mostly on my back, torso, but are scattered elsewhere. It had to be biopsied to get the diagnosis. It figures, I would get something like this. Not a pleasant experience. The itch is driving me insane. Have to take some Zyrtec, which is just causing more dryness and stuffiness. I'm really in a no win situation.
Go to Top of Page

judi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2013 :  6:50:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i looked up Grovers Disease..eeek. You have more than your share of stuff. Have you always been allergic to things?

I had chronic sinus issues before the Flovent as well but they are worse now. I only took NAC a few times and it did help, I don't know if it would work for you. Im not quite ready to take it full time but intend to use it if I feel like I need it.

I make fresh (frozen) ginger tea with cayenne or a simple vegetable soup with lots of garlic, onions and some cayenne and whatever I find in the fridge. The steam helps a little. I don't react very well to OTC cold meds.

I got very SOB on the doxycycline and I believe a little nuts. It says it can cause confusion as a side effect, I can't even describe the feeling.

judi
Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3102 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2013 :  7:11:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rosy, is there some reason they didn't give you Benedryl for the itch. I can't see where Zytec would help with the itch even though it is an antihistamine
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

1051 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2013 :  11:07:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carol,
Dr. said I could take Benadryl, but there's an issue between the Spiriva & Benadryl. Plus Spiriva really dried me out so much along with some other unpleasant SE's. The Zyrtec dries me out too, but doesn't seem to have the same anticholinergic interaction with the Spiriva (or it is much less than with the Benadryl). I'm only taking half of a 10 mg. Zyrtec, and it does help with the itch. I'd love to get some Atarax because that's the recommended antihistamine for Grovers.

"Cough, cold, or allergy medicine – Many of these medications contain anticholinergic compounds. Using it along with Spiriva also increases the risk of side effects particularly blurred vision, constipation, dry mouth and difficulty passing urine. Diphenyhdramine (Benadryl, Tylenol PM).

Source: Spiriva Drug Interactions (Tiotropium) - Drugs.com

My mouth is so dry from the Spiriva that it has started to affect my teeth, causing some serious tooth decay and now I have to fix all of this mess and it's costing me a fortune that I don't have. It's Like buying a new car! Dry mouth is not good for your mouth & teeth for sure. Nothing on the market helps this type of dry mouth. I've tried everything out there for dry mouth plus everything burns my mouth.

Judi,
I've always had very sensitive skin and occasionally get some excema. I like your soup/tea ideas, and will try them.
I'm really a hot mess right now.

Everyday is so challenging, I am very overwhelmed.

Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3102 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2013 :  4:49:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Spiriva and Benedryl would really dry you out. I haven't found anything that really helps with dry mouth. I have always lacked normal saliva. My one ENT doctor told me to massage my salivary glands from time to time but I don't do it. I bought the Rite Aid mouthwash like Biotine and it burns my mouth sometimes, not always. It doesn't really help me much. I haven't tried the toothpaste. My stamps always fell off my letters cause I didn't sitck them on well. WAs so happy to see the self stick ones when they came out.

As for the itch, what about a cortisone cream you can get OTC. That stuff really helps the itch. When I used to get poison oak they always gave me a steroid shot and that cleared it up right away.
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

1051 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2013 :  6:16:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dermatologist gave me a very strong cortisone cream, but I don't want to use it too much, she said one week on and then stop for a few days. I also use the OTC one too, and the Benadryl cream helps. I literally have a whole stock pile of creams and lotions, special soaps, you name it.

I have the Biotine mouthwash and tooth paste. Does nothing for me. I'm getting desperate!
Go to Top of Page

judi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2013 :  10:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you asked your pulmo about an every other day or every third day schedule for Spiriva? I think that may be something that is becoming accepted since the half life is so long on it. When I took it full time I had a dry mouth but my biggest problem was my eyes were so dry I thought they were going to turn into raisins and I was so thirsty I drank a ton of water and ran to the bathroom every 20 minutes all morning.

I don't know how your lungs are or if it would be safe for you to cut back the dose but I would try to find out. The side efects are related to the dose.

judi
Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3102 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2013 :  10:34:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did find that when I have to take an antihistamine that Allegra didn't dry me out as badly as Zyrtec. Have you ever been to an ENT doctor to see if there is something wrong with your salivary glands. Sometimes they get blocked. Also, have you been checked for Sjogrens Syndrome?
Go to Top of Page

tsainta
Contributing Member

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2013 :  11:12:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in a constant battle with my Spiriva. After a period of taking it daily I develop a dry cough and increased tightness in the chest. If I back off it completely or go to every other day and rely on my bronchodilators only, I fairly quickly get to a point where the bronchodilators won't do the job by themselves. So then back on the Spiriva, followed by much improvement, followed by dry cough and tightness in the chest again, etc., etc., etc.,

Tony-CA

Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
3346 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2013 :  11:45:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My doctor took me off of it and Benadryl. Too much drying. Now I do take Benadryl from time to time, but not as often.

Dave, Forum Administrator
COPD Support, Inc. http://www.copd-support.com/
Your source for peer support and COPD Info

Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com
Mobile chat room for pads and phone Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com/m

My Site: http://lungresources.com
Go to Top of Page

judi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2013 :  01:31:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, that sounds very familiar.....

I did that for at least a couple of years. Watch your sats, I have been STRUGGLING with desaturating into the 70s for at least a year. I thought it was woodsmoke, worsening COPD, etc. I finally got so fed up with the tightness and rapid heart rate from the Spiriva I tried going off it for longer periods. I don't know how it will end up but today I walked to the grocery store and I kept stopping at my 'places' I have had to rest and finding sats in the 90s. I don't think I can keep them totally up without resting but they are very much better.

I'm taking it about once every 5-6 days and I may stop that if I don't get too congested. Wretched stuff....

judi
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

1051 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2013 :  11:51:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm seeing my pulmo in April, so I will talk to him about the dryness and maybe a different schedule for the Spiriva. I never had a dry mouth until the COPD meds. I also have a prescription mouthwash called Magic Mouthwash, that sometimes helps with the burning. It has lots of different combinations, so it's up to you doctor or dentist to figure out what to put in it.

I'm at the ENT's office every 2 months (or sooner if needed). I have a problem with my right ear and have a tube in it for the last few years. I'll ask him also about the salivary glands, but I really believe this is all drug related. Between the Flovent & Spiriva and the occasional Zyrtec, it's kind of a losing battle. I don't know if Allegra works for itching, but the Zyrtec does. Zyrtec was usually recommended for any type of allergic rash by my ENT in NY. Has anyone ever taken Atarax? I'm looking it up, but you know it's always best to hear from someone who has taken it.

I'd like to thank all of you for your help with this. If any more ideas pop up, please send them my way.

Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3102 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2013 :  9:35:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have the "burning mouth syndrome". I think it was talked about recently on here but don't remember who. I have had that and it is terrible. Vitamin C made it much worse as didn't anything citric. I had to stay away from anything salty because after I ate something salty like pretzels and then ate something that had vinegar in it like salad dressing, pickles it was just awful. Vitamin B-50 I think got rid of it plus no Vitamin C. Also, someone once said if you hold Yogurt in your mouth it will help. Have you tried the Thrush lozenges even though you don't have Thrust. I was having a problem that turned out to be from my cough medicine and my dentist said it might be Thrush. I was pretty sure it was from the drying of my mouth with the Phenergan cough syrup but just a couple days of the lozenges and it felt better.
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

1051 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2013 :  09:37:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gee Carol, maybe that's what it is, I just don't know. I know that after my dental appointment today, it will be much, much worse, it always is. I do take vitamin c. Maybe I'll skip it for a while and see if it makes a difference. Thanks. I'm gonna google B50. I do take a B-complex vitamin every day.

I'm also stopping the flouride toothpaste for a while, dentist will NOT be happy about that. If you ever read your toothpaste ingredients, you would be shocked at what's in it, holy cow! Sodium lauryl sulphate, that's in soap too, it's what makes it sudsy. Like we really need this in our toothpaste. I've been trying to use just baking soda.

What are thrush lozengers?

Just googled B-50, this is a B-complex vitamin, I don't take the 50 just a regular B-complex, lower doses of the B's.

Edited by - rosytomato on Apr 01 2013 09:41:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Scout
Contributing Member

USA
1011 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2013 :  1:16:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long does it take to tell a difference not using spiriva? I'm like judi and Tony. Desaturating and chest tightness and rapid heartbeat and my eyes...never thought about the spiriva. I use symbicort too and ProAir HFA. Haven't taken my spiriva yet today...just because I've been busy and hadn't gotten to it yet..Thinking I may hold off....but how long (or if) to tell a difference?

Connie-AR

Edited by - Scout on Apr 01 2013 1:18:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bo H

USA
958 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2013 :  1:40:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scout

How long does it take to tell a difference not using spiriva? I'm like judi and Tony. Desaturating and chest tightness and rapid heartbeat and my eyes...never thought about the spiriva. I use symbicort too and ProAir HFA. Haven't taken my spiriva yet today...just because I've been busy and hadn't gotten to it yet..Thinking I may hold off....but how long (or if) to tell a difference?

It will probably take 4 or 5 days before you notice a difference, maybe longer.

Bo in Al
Go to Top of Page

Sokcap48

USA
324 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2013 :  1:42:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie--you mentioned your eyes. How does your eyes feel? Mine have been itchy and feels like little needles poking. Paul

Sokcap48
Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3102 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2013 :  1:59:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I would definetly stop the Vit C for a while. The lozenges are Chlortrimital(spelling might be off) but I am sure you can find it on Google. They taste OK, too. Yes, the B50 is just a higher dose of Vit B. I am not a vitamin taker but I do know that Vit B is the most important one for me so I take that when I remember and I did take it when I have had different mouth problems like cracking at the corners of the lip. There is nothing that will help that except Riboflavin and you can't buy that seperately anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Scout
Contributing Member

USA
1011 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2013 :  3:25:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul...my eyes are blurry...more than usual. They get itchy at times but I think that more the pine and flowerery stuff right now.

Connie-AR
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

1051 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2013 :  6:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave-OH

My doctor took me off of it and Benadryl. Too much drying. Now I do take Benadryl from time to time, but not as often.

Dave,
You're doctor took you off the Spiriva? Did he replace it with something else? I imagine anything similar to Spiriva would have the same drying effect.
Go to Top of Page

judi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2013 :  7:12:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scout, I would try Spiriva every other day for a few days and see if it helps. If not, try it every three days, etc Just try to step down and give your body time to adjust and hope you find a place where it works and you dont have problems. You could ask your doctor, I dont want everyone to stop the med and die and its my fault. I am taking it every 3-5 days. It worked better when I took a whole dose every day before it started causing problems but I don't know what else to do.

I was the one with burning mouth syndrome, it went away when I cut down the Spiriva.

judi
Go to Top of Page

SweetMagill
Rookie

USA
15 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  12:26:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carol and Rosy, "thrush lozenges" do help. Close on the spelling, Clotrimazole.(Have my bottle sitting here):) I keep them on hand even though the instruction on the bottle say to use till gone. When I have mouth problems, thrush or just the burning and itching, they truly help, pretty quick too.

SweetMagill-Mi
Go to Top of Page

Scout
Contributing Member

USA
1011 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  1:25:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sweet...are they over the counter or prescribed?

Connie-AR
Go to Top of Page

CarolCA
Contributing Member

USA
3102 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  2:04:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are prescriptions. I agree they really sooth the mouth. I didn't take them all eitehr and had no more problems. I really don't think I had thrush but whatever I had it helped.
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

1051 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  3:42:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll ask my pulmo if he will give me a script for the Clotrimazole lozenges to see if it will help. Thanks for all the good info.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000