COPD Support - COPD Information
 Spiriva "Tiova" Inhaler or rotocaps?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Greg-TX

168 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2013 :  09:28:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been taking Tiova rotocaps, the generic for Spiriva, one cap per day. I am getting ready to reorder from ADC and noticed they offer an inhaler for Tiova. Was wondering if anyone has used the inhaler and if so how many puffs do you take per day?

Greg-TX
"Alcohol"- because no great story ever started with someone eating a salad!

Bo H

USA
995 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2013 :  09:40:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I take the Tiova inhaler and its 2 puffs a day. One MDI will last 60 days. Each puff is 9mcg so it takes 2 to equal Spiriva. I can't tell any difference between the inhaler and the rotocaps except the powder left in my mouth and I can use a spacer with the inhaler.

Bo in Al
Go to Top of Page

Greg-TX

168 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2013 :  10:26:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bo, what do you mean by a "spacer" with the inhaler?
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

1107 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2013 :  10:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A spacer is a chamber that you insert the MDI in one end, spray the medication into the chamber while you have the other end in your mouth and then you can take nice slow breaths to get the medication into you lungs better. Google Aerochamber and you will see what they look like. Always good to use one the any MDI inhaler.
Go to Top of Page

Karangahan

USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2013 :  7:07:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am using Spiriva. I understand it should be 1x a day. However, I notice my neuropathy gets really worse when I am taking it everyday.

Is every other day as effective as taking it everyday? I remember earlier on, I read in this forum that the medicine stays in out system a long time that taking it every other day is fine. Also, I remember reading that Spiriva increases the risk of heart problems. I already have Mitral Valve Prolapse.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Karangahan
Go to Top of Page

Bo H

USA
995 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2013 :  10:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are talking about Tiova MDI which is a generic for Spiriva and is 9mcg per puff so you take 2 puffs. Some people take Spiriva every other day or 3 times a week. All our meds have side effects. we just have to weigh the good against the bad.

Bo in Al

Edited by - Bo H on Jun 28 2013 10:26:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
4733 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2013 :  11:38:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bo, my tiova is 18 mcg.

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

The Bad News: Time flies as you get older.
The Good News: Youíre still the pilot.

Penny's Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

And Our Travel Blog After LVRS

Go to Top of Page

GaGirl

604 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2013 :  08:15:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is yours the MDI?

Edited by - GaGirl on Jun 29 2013 08:18:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bo H

USA
995 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2013 :  09:38:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Penny, I'm reading the carton my Tiova came in and it reads 120 Metered doses Tiotropium Bromide inhaler 9mcg

Bo in Al
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
4733 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2013 :  11:28:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I aways thought an MDI was an inhaler that you put the capsules into? No? One capsule = 1 metered dose? Or is an MDI a thing like the Advair disc?

Okay, I just went to the ADC site and see the inhaler you're talking about is like my albuterol inhaler. Press down and it give you a shot of whatever. I use the rotocaps and order the 18mcg caplets.

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

The Bad News: Time flies as you get older.
The Good News: Youíre still the pilot.

Penny's Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

And Our Travel Blog After LVRS

Edited by - PennyPA on Jun 29 2013 11:33:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
3425 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2013 :  11:50:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meter dose inhaler. Includes Advair and other methods of delivering a set dose.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metered-dose_inhaler

Dave, Forum Administrator
COPD Support, Inc. http://www.copd-support.com/
Your source for peer support and COPD Info

Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com
Mobile chat room for pads and phone Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com/m

My Site: http://lungresources.com
Go to Top of Page

Karangahan

USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2013 :  5:28:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bo H,

Thank you for sharing with me that some people really do take the Spiriva every other day and it'll still be as effective as taking it everyday.

I am aware that virtually all medicines have side effects, we just have to weigh the pros and cons. It is very frustrating when the medicine you are taking has side effects to your another illness, which is what's happening to me.

Karangahan
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

1107 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2014 :  10:20:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this post is a little old, but I was just wondering if Karangahan had any luck using the Spiriva every other day to try and cut down on some of her side effects?

I'm going to speak to my pulmo about trying this, but I doubt he will agree to it.
Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1228 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2014 :  1:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, Rosy, this is an issue that came up at the 2011 COPD conference in Washington, DC. A patient brought it up to a panel headed by Dr. Bart Celli, one of the premier pulmonologists and researchers in the US, and you could see the light bulb go off in his face and in the faces of several other docs on the panel. They all said they were going to try a reduced dosage of the times a week with patients who complained of various side effects from Spiriva or Tiova. So it's not new, nor is it something that's counter-indicated. The patient's point was made using the difference between a 6 foot 200 pound man and a 5'6" 130 pound woman....why the same dosage? I think it's worth telling your doc this story, and I'd use Dr. Celli's name (it's pronounced chelli, btw, just fyi).

Jean

Exercise not only lets me live, it enables me to have a life.
Go to Top of Page

Nola-IL
Rookie

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2014 :  1:38:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been using the Tiova rotocaps in place of Spiriva, much cheaper, same medicine. I recently ordered a Tiova inhaler from ADC, but wondering if the inhaler is to be used in place of the rotocaps, or if its a "rescue" inhaler? thanks for any info you care to share!
Go to Top of Page

Bo H

USA
995 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2014 :  3:14:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Rotocaps and Inhaler has the same meds in them so no the inhaler is not a rescue med. Just be aware that you need to take two puffs of the inhaler a day because each puff is only 9mcg and the regular dosage is 18mcg.

Bo in Al
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

1107 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2014 :  6:31:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jean,
I don't know how I missed your answer here. Thanks for that information. I think it's important, especially since the doctors were interested in trying the reduced dosages for some of their patients due to side effects.
Rosy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000