Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jason1972
Rookie

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2016 :  11:24:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,
I was DX in 2014 with COPD (Fev1-26%), with Hypercapnic respritory Failure with an episode of Cor Pulmonale. I am on O2 24/7. I currently work full time as a Sales manager in a busy cell phone store, my duties include greeting and working close with the general public, managing inventory, coaching and developing employees. this requires standing all day on the sales floor as well. I carry a D cylinder with pulse dose as that is the only size that will get me through 10-12hr days (work and commute)it is heavy and a burden to carry, but is the most convenient. My concern is am I putting my health at further risk and if so is it time to call it quits? I have looked into SSD and I easily meet the listing, but I am concerned that the LTD insurance through my employer will have different criteria for meeting a listing and deny me. I am afraid to open Pandora's box and be denied through them and be "that guy".

Jason-CO

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
4292 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2016 :  1:19:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would talk to your doctor about this, they are the best resource for you. You need to check the LTD rules to see if you qualify, as there is a 6 month wait for SSDI to kick in. That is from the date of application, but it can take time for the application to the processed.

Dave, Forum Administrator
COPD Support, Inc. http://www.copd-support.com/
Your source for peer support and COPD Info

My Site: http://lungresources.com
Go to Top of Page

jason1972
Rookie

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2016 :  11:28:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave,
I will discuss it with DR. My summary plan description through my LTD carrier does not list qualifications for disability. my guess is the keep it unclear so they can't be held liable. anyway Cheers and Happy New Year.

Jason-CO
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
4292 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2016 :  1:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I you are disabled for SSDI, you are disabled for LTD. Do you have short term disability?

Go to Top of Page

jason1972
Rookie

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2016 :  5:43:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, thank you for replying, sorry its taken me this long to get back with you. Yes I have Short term disability, it covers up to 3 months.

Jason-CO
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
4292 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2016 :  11:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Social Security has a 6 month wait period.

Go to Top of Page

MDC

449 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2016 :  7:20:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jason, a just for your information, I was in the same boat and finally one day it just hit me, die at my job or quit and file for disability and take care of myself and lead a somewhat normal life. I am one of the lucky few that had short term,(6 month) disability and long term disability.

I thought long and hard and came up with a plan that actually worked.

I spoke with my pc Doctor and he agreed. He gave me a written mandatory leave of absence for one month (30 days) due to health reasons. I then went to my pulmonologist and got test results (spirimitry) and copies of last office visit with diagnoses and submitted to our st disability carrier and was automatically approved for 6 months and the short term disability kicked right in and I was able to keep health insurance longer.

The first week I applied for SSDI online and HIGHLIGHTED my FEV and other conditions that met the SSDI Blue Book Listings over and over. I submitted it online and also took to local SS office and turned in to them.

I gave it to local SS office on Monday and on Friday they called with a few questions. They said due to the Listing Impairments they were going to fast track my application. The following week I got a call from adjudicator at the state office saying he wanted to set me up with a Doctor hired by Soc. Sec. to do a pulmonary function test. I had to wait 3 weeks for appointment. The day after appointment the adjudicator told me I was approved and would receive a formal letter in a few days. He said the DIFFERENCE WAS I TOLD HOW I MET LISTINGS and it made my application stand out.

Long story short, SSDI only spent about 3-4 days with paperwork and I was approved. Dave is right you have to wait 5 months for it to kick in.

Luckily my st disability covered 6 months.

I hope you the best my friend.

Mike

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.
Go to Top of Page

jason1972
Rookie

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  10:51:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, thank you for describing your experience and the steps you took. It was very informative. since I've posted bought a Portable Oxygen Concentrator that is much lighter than the tanks i was carrying all day, it has helped. My supervisor has given me more back office duties sitting down. for now this will have to suffice. I really don't want to quit working (I love my business) but I'm afraid this is the beginning of the end as I cant seem to find a way to incorporate any healthy routine concerning exercise, nebulizer etc.. For now I'm gonna keep on trucking!

Jason-CO
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
5913 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2016 :  9:50:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jason, I worked as a zoning officer for the township for 4 years after I was diagnosed and on O2. I met with contractors, home/property owners, and the general public, attended meetings with the zoning board and supervisors. I used the D tank, too, but wore it in a backpack. Made it a lot easier that way. I, too, liked my job and continued to work until retiring when I was 66. Working does give you a sense of purpose. Oftentimes, when people quit their jobs (through retirement or disability), they just turn into vegetables and give up the ship, so to speak. Since your supervisor has given you more back office duties...and since you really don't want to quit working...there's really no need to at this time. And no, this isn't the "beginning of the end"...there is a lot of life still to be lived. You're in the back office; you can nebulize back there. I used inhalers when I was at work and nebbed when I was at home. Exercise can be had anywhere...even if it's only for 5 minutes at a time. When you're home, lift some weights (bags of potatoes, for instance). Go for a walk with Leslie Sansome (DVDs available online or at Walmart). Do stretches at work when you're in the back room. Get creative!

Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

The Bad News: Time flies as you get older.
The Good News: Youíre still the pilot.

Penny's Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

And Our Travel Blog After LVRS

Go to Top of Page

Jan-KS

USA
108 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2016 :  02:36:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With an FEV1 of 26% you will qualify for your employers definition of disability - have you asked to see the book? Obviously the office knows you have an impairment. Usually for something technical like this they use the same guidelines as Medicare. And at 26 your are definitely impaired.

Health insurance and income is the biggest issue. It usually takes 1-2 months minimum of NOT WORKING and submitting all the forms and having additional testing done through the federal Social Security Doctors (usually a pulmonary function test)and you can be approved as fast a few day or it could take a month or so. But the first criteria for Federal Social Security is that your disability is so bad that you cannot work at all. The Human Resource Office for your employer should be able to walk you thought is. I remember being tested on a Monday and approved by the Fed's by Friday (my FEV1 tested at 23%)

Depending on how your employer's Short Term Disability runs you may or may not be paid until the disability is approved by them or by the Federal Government. Most Short Term disability policies last 3-6 months during which you usually get 2/3rds of your regular salary. (a few pay 100%). During this time you should hear back from Federal Disability which kicks in at the 6th months with about 2/3'rds of your average salary over your work history, but without health care at all. After 24 months you get approval for Medicare for Health Insurance.

Jan C
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000