New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

99mbS320
Rookie

USA
1 Posts

Posted - May 02 2016 :  10:15:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just found this website and had a few questions about COPD. I was recently diagnosed with "mild" to "moderate" COPD. I was a smoker on and off for 25 years. I was never your typical pack a day smoker. I would smoke when I would go out socially. I would go days without smoking and then when I was under stress I would binge smoke and go through a pack of Marlboro's in a day.
Hear is my question/dilemma. I was always a jogger. I started in my early 20's to lose weight. I would smoke and then be able to go out and run 10miles back in my 20's. I would cough, but I would be able to go a good distance and not get breathless. This is because I ran a lot and got into very good shape before I ever picked up a cigarette which started in earnest in my mid twenties.
I have been smoking on and off ever since. About 3 years ago an x-ray showed hyperinflation of my lungs. I did not know what that meant at the time. I also had a bout of shortness of breath. I went to a pulmonologist and he said my fev1 is 63%. He said don't worry too much about it. He prescribed a combivent inhaler to use as needed for shortness of breath. At this time he does not feel anything else is necessary.
The interesting thing is I can bike and run for a long time without getting breathless. I don't go as far as I used to or as fast, but then again I am in my 50's now. I can bike about 5 miles to get down to the track, jog 3 miles(light jog), and then bike 5 miles back. I always thought someone with COPD would be much more debilitated? I do feel out of breath from time to time, but I always thought that might be due to anxiety. I recently bought a pulse oximeter to use while biking. My pulse ox stay around 96%. I am just wondering if anyone out here has ever heard of a case like this? Perhaps it is a mild COPD but with all of my running/biking over the years maybe I have compensated for it? Just wondering what could be going on? Also do people on this website ever use that "boost oxygen". Which is oxygen in a can. I have heard it can be helpful temporarily. Thanks
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000