Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Moderated Forums
 Smoke No More Program
 Mom in ICU for COPD... Withhold the Cigarettes?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ruralCOPD
Rookie

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2016 :  7:52:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I am new to this forum. Thank you for taking the time to even read my post. I'm looking for some advice from those who have been there.

I've never been a smoker so I cannot relate to the struggles that come with quitting but I have watched my Mom over the years battle with bipolar disorder, depression and anxiety. She was in and out of mental institutions most of my childhood and they were finally able to get her on the right combination of medications about 7 years ago but by that point, asking her to stop smoking just seemed like it would lead to another mental breakdown. After 4 kids, she also suffers from bladder issues but due to her smoking and lung issues, the doctor will not perform any surgeries to help alleviate this. She is underweight and rarely leaves the house and gets winded very easily. She is only 53 years old.

This past weekend we had to rush her to the ER due to an exacerbation episode with her COPD. This is the first time she has been in the medical hospital. She has been in ICU Step Down since Sunday on and off a bipap machine because her breathing reps and heart rate are so high.

She has Stage 4 COPD. This is first time in 40 years she has went without cigarettes and it's been about 4 days now. She was in such bad shape that she wasn't even asking for one but now that she is feeling better, she is starting to. She will likely be in hospital for at least another few days so back home after 7 days of no smoking. She is home bound and doesn't drive. The Lung doc is saying to her "you have to stop smoking!" My dad and I can prevent her from smoking and just refuse to buy them. I think many of you know this is going to result in a lot of fighting and possible mental health responses...

People say you can't force someone to quit as they will quit only on their own but in this situation, i do have that power. I can refuse to buy them. So my question is...What should I do? The answer may seem obvious but I'm hoping for some advice and thoughts and maybe encouragement either way.

Thanks so much for reading.

Natasha

muddleaged

USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2016 :  08:26:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, boy, Natasha. You're in a tough place. Does the hospital have a social worker who can help you?
Go to Top of Page

muddleaged

USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2016 :  08:48:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most states have a Quit Tobacco program. Virginia has a phone support line: http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/tobacco-free-living/quit-now-virginia/ Maybe they would be able to give you guidance.
Go to Top of Page

ruralCOPD
Rookie

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2016 :  6:22:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank so much muddleaged. I will take a look and give them a call. Unfortunately, she ended up taking a turn for the worse a couple days ago and is on life support/ventilator in ICU. We are hoping for the best. If she recovers from this, if this isn't the biggest wake up call, then nothing is. Appreciate the responses.

-Natasha
Go to Top of Page

sinderela1971
Rookie

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  7:34:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Natasha,

Instead of buying her cigarettes try buying her the nicotine patch. I am quitting with it right now due to having COPD.

Jenni
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000