Questions about my Inhalers and if they are workin
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ilovelabbies
Rookie

13 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2016 :  12:51:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone, I hope all of you are feeling well.

I have yet another question. I am on Spiriva and Pumacort as maintenance inhalers. I still feel out of breath and rapid heartbeat after using them and thru out the day. Is this normal or should I assume they are not working?

I also use albuterol for a rescue inhaler and do not find that it works that well either.

What is going on with me and what should I do? I have noticed that my breathing has gotten worse over the last year, even before I started inhalers.

Edited to add: could it be the time of year since the weather is so ever changing. I heard a lot of people get hospitalized when the weather drastically changes.

Thank you so much.

Edited by - ilovelabbies on Dec 21 2016 1:00:11 PM

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1666 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2016 :  4:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, your experience isn't all that unusual. Spiriva and Albuterol both often make people experience tachycardia and feel pretty shaky. That doesn't mean they're not working, it just means that you react to the meds that way. One suggestion that might work for you, especially if you're a small person is to try taking the Spiriva every other day. As a friend pointed out, Spiriva is designed to be a one size fits all, and there's a difference between someone who's 6 ft.+ and 250 pounds and someone significantly shorter and lighter. She now takes Spiriva Monday, Wednesday and Friday and doesn't experience the tachycardia. I'm not aware of that being an issue with pulmicort, so I suspect it's just the Spiriva and albuterol.

Weather does sometimes make a big difference for some people. I don't know if you are in PR or have an exercise program, but that's something you should talk with your doc about if you don't. As counter-intuitive as it sounds, exercise is the most important thing we can do for ourselves after we quit contaminating our lungs with things that don't belong there. That can make a huge difference in how you feel and how easy it is to do things and stay active.

Jean

Exercise not only lets me live, it enables me to have a life.
Go to Top of Page

ilovelabbies
Rookie

13 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2017 :  3:40:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your response. I don't necessarily just have tachycardia, I first start having problems breathing and then the tachycardia comes. I don't know if my inhalers are helping me or not, that is a the problem. I cough every day when I use them. My breathing has gotten worse over the last year and it scares me. Thanks ahead for any responses.
Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1666 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2017 :  8:53:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you need to talk with your doc. Tell her that you cough after each inhalation and you wonder if you're coughing the medicine out before it can even get to your lungs. Tell her that your breathing during any normal day is worse than it was before and you really would like to try some other treatments and what does she suggest. Be clear about what your normal day is like. Ask about nebulized meds or Pulmonary Rehab or other treatments.

Go to Top of Page

hapolati
Rookie

USA
18 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2017 :  12:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have much the same experience with use of inhalers as you. Can't tell if they're working. I'm going to maybe try not using them for a few weeks to see if there's any difference. My condition has worsened in past year. Deflates hopes. No magic bullet? Exercises and pursed lips do help a bit. My compassion for you.

terry farley
Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1666 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2017 :  4:46:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you stop taking your inhalers, do it one at a time. If you don't, you won't know if both or neither are making a difference. I'd also suggest you talk with your doc before you do it just to be sure you've given them both enough time to work. Don't ask permission, just tell her what you're going to do. The maintenance meds don't have a noticeable difference, so the changes are pretty subtle and you hardly notice them.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000