FEV1 AND FEVC
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bhangar

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2017 :  09:07:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Every one. Last month I had severe attack of chest infection which prolonged for four to five weeks. And before this I was doing very well no SOB but only productive cough. After this I started SOB in between night time and need blue inhaler. As well my GP did my spirometery and result was FEV1 46 And FEV1/FVC 50. they told me the will repeat this test last week of Feb. First time thy gave me SPIRIVA once a day . It is helping me lot. why they are repeating my test I don't know. I still brisk walking up to two miles/day. But I feel not normal like before six weeks. Please advise how much time I have to live in view of these numbers.
Looking forward to all of you good guys. Your advises will be key to my future with this COPD.
Many thanks in advance.

imran

tsainta
Contributing Member

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2017 :  10:37:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An unanswerable question.

Tony-CA

50% of dealing with COPD is common sense.
Go to Top of Page

Bo H
Contributing Member

USA
1128 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2017 :  1:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony is right. No one knows how much time you have left. When I was first diagnosed 32 years ago the Dr. said I had 4 years left. The key to your future is up to you. You can sit back and feel sorry for yourself or you can get up start exercising, find the best meds for YOU and go on living a good long productive life.

Bo in Al
Go to Top of Page

bhangar

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2017 :  2:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks ,Bo H . I agreed what you suggested and I already started exercise and as well nominated me for TLD which is trial of targeted lungs denervation .I just wanted to know FEV1 46 and FEVC 50 is mine. When you were diagnosed what was your numbers and now are your numbers remain same . my second question there should many members ,those might have similar numbers as mine are they doing well with meds and exercise. I am still walking two miles /climbing stairs but need some struggle, last in night during sleep once I woke up and feel SOB than I take two puff of Blue inhaler which helps me to clear mucus. I Need your guys advise .Thanks A lot

imran
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
5808 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2017 :  3:34:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Imran, most people aren't diagnosed until they're in the 40s FEV1. I don't even know what I was when I was diagnosed 33 years ago because I didn't realize we were supposed to get copies of all testing done. However, I do know that my FEV1 was at 20% for at least 10 years prior to my LVRS in 2008. Do you smoke? If so, QUIT NOW. If not, good. Follow the exercise recommendations and don't sweat the small stuff. Get your pneumonia shot on schedule and get your flu shot annually. Stay away from obviously sick people. Barring any unusual circumstances (getting hit by a bus or being run over by a herd of stampeding groupies at a concert), you may well go on living a good long productive life. And remember, you're still getting over whatever lung infection you had so you won't feel 100% (for you) for awhile

Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

The Bad News: Time flies as you get older.
The Good News: Youíre still the pilot.

Penny's Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

And Our Travel Blog After LVRS

Go to Top of Page

Bo H
Contributing Member

USA
1128 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2017 :  5:05:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My fev1 was 30% when I was first diagnosed. My fev1 3 years ago was 14%. Havent had a PFT since then because I can't blow hard or long enough to tell anything.

Bo in Al
Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1685 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2017 :  9:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like the rest, I was originally diagnosed with an FEV1 somewhere in the mid 30s. That was in 2000. My fEV1 is still in the mid 30s today. Exercise, diet, taking my meds and learning everything I could about COPD, staying away from people with bugs, more exercise and getting to my doc ASAP when I do get something respiratory are the keys to this, at least for me. I don't know how I've been so lucky to be so stable, but it has worked. It's well worth giving it a try and it looks like you're on your way.

Exercise not only lets me live, it enables me to have a life.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000