exercise regime
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bhangar

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2017 :  12:43:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, thanks to all members who gave me good advises regarding exercises . Today after my two mile walk in fast pace I did a break for half an hour and than I walked on hillside area for about 300 yards it was difficult but I managed but have SOB. after I again walked 300 yards on ground level and felt almost normal. Please note I liv in Rochdale ,near Greater Manchester and it is a hilly area town.
Kindly advise me is it safe to walk on hillside area.
Thanks to all

imran

Bo H
Contributing Member

USA
1118 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2017 :  1:18:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are not afraid of falling I would consider it safe. If you are worried about the SOB, as long as you keep your saturation at the proper levels, 90% up, being SOB will not hurt or kill you.

Bo in Al
Go to Top of Page

bhangar

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2017 :  2:27:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bo H, I don't know how to keep my saturation level up to 90% and maintain it. And please advise all these efforts will help to improve lung functions in long term.

imran
Go to Top of Page

Bo H
Contributing Member

USA
1118 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2017 :  4:09:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To keep your saturation at 90% or above turn your supplemental 02 up until it will maintain your saturation. If you are not on supplemental 02 yet see your Dr. and if you are on 02 but it doesn't go high enough to keep your sats up see your Dr about getting a portable that will. Letting your saturation get below 88% will do irrepairable harm to your heart and other vital organs. I try to keep my sats at 95% or above just like a person with good lungs.

Exercise will improve your ability to maintain a good life style and will slow the progression of this disease. I was told in 1985 I had 4 years left and at 81 I'm still here and I had a great productive life. We haven't had any great breakthrough in meds so exercise, a good attitude and a lot of faith have kept me going.

Bo in Al
Go to Top of Page

tsainta
Contributing Member

USA
1544 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2017 :  8:24:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you don't have supplemental oxygen, you moderate your exercise to maintain 90% or above. Like Bo, I shoot for 95% or so. If I do, it really shortens my recovery time. Driving your oxygen below 88-90% for some period of exercise everyday will probably shorten your life.

Tony-CA

The statistics on sanity say that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. Are they're OK? Then it's you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000