New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rizla01
Rookie

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2017 :  12:46:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do ANY meds actually work in that respect or is it all hypothesis and/or Manuf sales blurb.

Obviously I can see that most of the tasks performed by the multitude of Inhalers Etc is relief of symptoms but is that all? Has ANY progress been made, I wonder?

rosytomato
Contributing Member

USA
1347 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2017 :  3:00:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm no expert for sure, but I believe most of the inhalers, etc. are basically used to relieve symptoms. I recently saw a Symbicort commercial that said it can give symptom relief after just 5 minutes.
Go to Top of Page

tsainta
Contributing Member

USA
1716 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2017 :  4:00:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no cure for COPD; only symptomatic relief.

Tony-CA

50% of dealing with COPD is common sense.
Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1740 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2017 :  4:11:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far, symptomatic relief is what we have. There are a number of studies going on that will tell us which meds work best with which types of patients, and there are continued attempts to find new receptors in the lungs and to develop new meds based on that evidence. There is legitimate work going on with stem cells (not the places that want your money; legitimate scientific studies that will actually lead us somewhere) that will eventually help us make progress. So there are positive things going on. It takes time. I urge you to join the COPD Foundations Patient Powered Research Network if you want to help find a CURE. Unless we do more research, there won't be one. So help us out, please.

Exercise not only lets me live, it enables me to have a life.
Go to Top of Page

rizla01
Rookie

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2017 :  6:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tsainta

There is no cure for COPD; only symptomatic relief.

I think ALL sufferers are aware of that fact.
My question is do any of the meds SLOW DOWN the progression of this lovely disease - not CURE it!

Edited by - rizla01 on Feb 15 2017 6:34:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
5827 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2017 :  7:30:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not smoking in the first place is the cure for emphysema (unless you're one of the ones with Alpha 1.) Exercise and staying away from sick people, getting your annual flu shot and scheuled pneumonia shot are what helps to slow down the progression of the disease. The inhalers treat the symptoms as Tony said.

Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

The Bad News: Time flies as you get older.
The Good News: Youíre still the pilot.

Penny's Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

And Our Travel Blog After LVRS

Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1740 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2017 :  8:38:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, the original clinical trials for Spiriva and Advair (I think) did conclude that they actually slowed the progression of the disease. I know that was one of the conclusions for Spiriva. I had forgotten that. So there is at least some evidence that meds can slow the progression. I do know that avoiding getting really sick can reduce the development of additional structural damage in the lungs. Once that happens, it can't be undone.

Exercise not only lets me live, it enables me to have a life.
Go to Top of Page

tsainta
Contributing Member

USA
1716 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2017 :  01:20:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your question is much easier to answer when it is stated understandably.

Tony-CA

50% of dealing with COPD is common sense.
Go to Top of Page

rizla01
Rookie

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2017 :  03:56:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jmrommes

Actually, the original clinical trials for Spiriva and Advair (I think) did conclude that they actually slowed the progression of the disease. I know that was one of the conclusions for Spiriva. I had forgotten that. So there is at least some evidence that meds can slow the progression. I do know that avoiding getting really sick can reduce the development of additional structural damage in the lungs. Once that happens, it can't be undone.

Yes, that was my feeling too.
It would seem apart from the VERY obvious advice about smoking exercise Etc that people on here bang on about there doesn't appear to be any actual medication to control the progress of the disease - just relief of the symptoms.

We ALL know that there is no cure but it seems that were are going to worsen as our condition or our constitution dictates for now.

tsainta
quote:
Your question is much easier to answer when it is stated understandably

Tony, my question is a lot easier to understand if you have the intelligence to understand the written word, as others have.
Go to Top of Page

SteveinMechanicsburg

68 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2017 :  07:28:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Feeling a bit churlish, are we rizla?

This is a shared space so civility helps.
Go to Top of Page

rizla01
Rookie

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2017 :  07:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveinMechanicsburg

Feeling a bit churlish, are we rizla?

This is a shared space so civility helps.

Inane responses do have that effect Steven.

Edited by - rizla01 on Feb 16 2017 07:48:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
5827 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2017 :  10:09:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, chances of getting answers to further questions you may have are slim when you present yourself the way you have.

Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

The Bad News: Time flies as you get older.
The Good News: Youíre still the pilot.

Penny's Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

And Our Travel Blog After LVRS

Go to Top of Page

joeabby

USA
40 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2017 :  10:23:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Advair & Spiriva are both bronchodialators designed relax the airway muscles allowing you to breathe more easily. Advair is a cardiosteroid. I was on both for 8 yrs. My new pulmo took me off Spiriva & moved me up to 500/50 on the Advair. I also nebulize Albuterol before the Advair.
Many people live a long time with COPD when properly managed. It's the CHF or pneumonia that ultimately kills.
I've had 4 relapses in 4 yrs & couldn't predict any of them...it happens very quickly...suddenly, you just can't take a deep breath.

Gettin old ain't for wussies!
Go to Top of Page

rizla01
Rookie

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2017 :  11:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joeabby

Advair & Spiriva are both bronchodialators designed relax the airway muscles allowing you to breathe more easily. Advair is a cardiosteroid. I was on both for 8 yrs. My new pulmo took me off Spiriva & moved me up to 500/50 on the Advair. I also nebulize Albuterol before the Advair.
Many people live a long time with COPD when properly managed. It's the CHF or pneumonia that ultimately kills.
I've had 4 relapses in 4 yrs & couldn't predict any of them...it happens very quickly...suddenly, you just can't take a deep breath.

Thanks Joe,
I'm guessing you might be in the US and insurance/savings pay for your treatment?

In UK, the NHS is pretty good but you have little choice of carer. They seem to favour letting a nurse manage any associated problem in the UK unless you choose to pay and that is something I think I will have to look into.

I am told that both Spiriva AND Symbicort (My prev meds) are both Corticosteroids which they have now stopped. After a few days of Anoro, I seem to be settling down now.

I am hoping to go back for a repeat Spirography as my first yr was 68% 2nd 65% then missed a year and 4th yr was 51%?
I don't think that can be (Scary if it is) so suspecting I might have had a bit of an infection in the chest but the nurse didn't seem to care/notice.

Exercise and no stress sounds like the way forward with good healthy eating then. :)

Edited by - rizla01 on Feb 18 2017 11:54:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

USA
1347 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2017 :  12:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spiriva (tiotropium bromide)contains no corticosteroids. It is a anticholinergic bronchodilator. Symbicort contains both a bronchodilator (formoterol) and a corticosteroid (budesonide).
Go to Top of Page

rizla01
Rookie

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2017 :  12:22:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rosytomato

Spiriva (tiotropium bromide)contains no corticosteroids. It is a anticholinergic bronchodilator. Symbicort contains both a bronchodilator (formoterol) and a corticosteroid (budesonide).

I am SO,OOO glad you said that Rosy. I didn't think it was either but Nurse insisted she knows better. Bloody useless - goes to show what i am dealing with. Lol
Go to Top of Page

joeabby

USA
40 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2017 :  1:45:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rizla, yes, I am truly blessed being retired military & being 65 [Medicare] before my affliction became more serious.
Alot of folks on here quote their FEV & lung capacity numbers; I don't know what mine are & it's not something I want to concentrate on. I've had a lot of spirometry tests but can't interpret the results. Depression is a big part of this & sure don't need the stress!!

Gettin old ain't for wussies!
Go to Top of Page

rizla01
Rookie

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2017 :  2:07:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joeabby

Rizla, yes, I am truly blessed being retired military & being 65 [Medicare] before my affliction became more serious.
Alot of folks on here quote their FEV & lung capacity numbers; I don't know what mine are & it's not something I want to concentrate on. I've had a lot of spirometry tests but can't interpret the results. Depression is a big part of this & sure don't need the stress!!

Depression?
Had that, been there Etc. Both me and the OH have had a bout or so of the Black Dog (Winston Churchill). Mine was worse as I ended up on Meds - NEVER again.

Another 2-5 yrs getting off pills but you are never cured. Always there to darken your thoughts, isn't it.

Somewhat miffed I cant do things I used to enjoy but as this minor ailment of ours progresses I expect it'll take hold a bit more.
.......AND NOW I SPEND ALL NIGHT DREAMING ABOUT THE THINGS I USED TO DO ALL NIGHT. or something like that. :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000