Corticosteroid
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roadrunne98

USA
207 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2017 :  6:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard on t.v. Take breo for your asthma until you are well maintained on a corticosteroid. I switched to try breo because I thought my Adair 250/50 was not giving me enough stamina to get thru the day. But on t.v. It says for asthma, I have copd and emphysema I've seen written. It hasn't given any more stamina then my advair so I was thinking of going back to my advair. I do like the once a day of breo instead of twice a day for advair. So breo is NOT a corticosteroid. Is a corticosteroid stronger and maybe I should have never tried the breo. Should I stick to corticosteroids? This figuring this stuff out to help yourself is tough. I went to the dr. My primary and told her I have no interest in doing things because it's taxing and stressful just moving around. She made me go in the following week 5 days, each day I got oasis intervenisly. iron intervenisly, and a b-12 shot. What I don't understand is ., my iron blood test was within limits, now there is an over abundance. She said it will be stored. Maybe it's me, but if I was within limits, She should not have made me get that. Am I right???? Opinions please. I did feel somewhat better about 5 days afterward, but nothing spectacular. The b-12 i am taking on my own now, and the b complex, and a probiotic. I am trying to help myself too. And trying to lose weight. I do put the gauge on my 02 up now when I walk. I put it on continuous 2 while walking and when I sit I put it back to 2 pulse so I don't run out. They only last about an hr. If you need it continuous. Just makes more stress watching the gauge. You think with all this technology they would make a carry tank continuous that would last at least 3 hrs. To enjoy yourself when you go out.

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
4016 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2017 :  8:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Breo is similar to 1/2 of Advair. To use Breo, you would need a drug like Pulmicort. I would recommend trying Dulera, I think the delivery system give me more medication.

Dave, Forum Administrator
COPD Support, Inc. http://www.copd-support.com/
Your source for peer support and COPD Info

Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com
Mobile chat room for pads and phone Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com/m

My Site: http://lungresources.com
Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1740 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2017 :  8:47:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, My information says that Breo includes an ICS; just not as much as Advair. Is that what you meant by half of Advair?

Exercise not only lets me live, it enables me to have a life.
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
4016 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2017 :  12:02:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right, I was thinking of another medication with only the LABA. I still prefer Dulera or Symicort.

Dave, Forum Administrator
COPD Support, Inc. http://www.copd-support.com/
Your source for peer support and COPD Info

Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com
Mobile chat room for pads and phone Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com/m

My Site: http://lungresources.com
Go to Top of Page

Roadrunne98

USA
207 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2017 :  10:29:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you saying that breo is not as strong as the advair 250/50 was that I was taking? Are the 2 you are saying to try are they more potent than the advair I was on?
Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1740 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2017 :  11:20:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Breo is listed as 100/25, while Advair has three versions: 100/50; 250/50 and 500/50. What I don't know is whether the numbers are equivalent or specific to the manufacturer. If the numbers are equivalent, I would say that Breo has less medication than any of the Advairs; if they're not equivalent, I have no idea how the dosages relate to one another; that's question for your doc or pharmacist.

Go to Top of Page

tsainta
Contributing Member

USA
1716 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2017 :  11:59:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Breo does not contain the same bronchodilator as Advair. Therefore, those numbers (the 25 and 50) are not comparable. On the other hand, the corticosteroid is the same in both meds, so they may be comparable. In my experience it's just a matter of working your way through them if you can and finding the one that suits you best. I know that's much easier said than done, but I don't think there is any other sure way.

Tony-CA

50% of dealing with COPD is common sense.
Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1740 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2017 :  3:53:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, you're right they're not the same medication, but how do you know that the numbers aren't equivalent? I would guess that they're not, but I really would like to know HOW you know that. I mean, pills are shown in milligrams, so to that extent it's universal. But the power of the medication can only be compared to that medication: 250, 500, 750 for instance for Levaquin. How does that compare to 250, 500 or 750 for azithromycin? Are they equivalent? I don't think so, but I honestly don't know. So my question stands: How do you know?

Go to Top of Page

Roadrunne98

USA
207 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2017 :  6:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just read somewhere breo side affect includes weakness. What else can you do. I switched inhalers because I was not getting enough umph and now that is saying it can make me weak too. I'll try another as someone said.
Go to Top of Page

tsainta
Contributing Member

USA
1716 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2017 :  8:28:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jean, I agree. I said the bronchodilator numbers for Breo and Advail are NOT comparable. That's why my bottom line was: "In my experience it's just a matter of working your way through them if you can and finding the one that suits you best."

Tony-CA

Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1740 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2017 :  8:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Point taken, Tony. Maybe one of us will figure it out one day!

Go to Top of Page

gms

USA
79 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2017 :  12:28:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just my 2 cents... I was using Dulera 200/5 for about a year and a half and it worked great for me. Then my insurance changed its formulary so I was forced to switch. I tried Breo which didn't last the 24 hours it was suppose to, Symbicort, then finally settled on Advair 250/50. None of the alternatives were as good as Dulera. My insurance will not cover Dulera as it's only approved for persons with an Asthma component, which I don't have.
As Dave suggested, talk to your Doctor about trying Dulera. It's available in two different strengths, 100/5 and 200/5. I've only tried the 200/5.
I'm not sure if it will address your complaint of weakness or lack of energy but it certainly made my breathing easier.

Edited by - gms on Mar 18 2017 12:30:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Gerry-FL

USA
33 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2017 :  9:39:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just curious about these drugs. I've been on Tudorza and Symbicort for a few years now. Frankly I haven't seen that any of them help but am told they slow down the progress of the disease. For reference, I was diagnosed with COPD/emphysema about 15 years ago. I don't have any specific symptoms except shortness of breath with less and less exercise. The doctor has been trying to get me on 24/7 oxygen for about 6 years now but I don't choose to go that way. I use a POC when necessary but that's about it. Yes I know that I am stressing my heart but frankly I'd rather die of heart attack than to suffocate.
Gerry

"I want to go quietly in my sleep like Uncle Amos. Not screaming and yelling like his passengers."
Go to Top of Page

tsainta
Contributing Member

USA
1716 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2017 :  01:04:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, when you say, "I use a POC when necessary but that's about it," how do you determine the necessity? Oximeter? What do you consider "necessity?" A "feeling" or a specific blood oxygen level? If you are using any measure other than an oximeter and a blood oxygen level, you could be giving away years of active and pleasureable life.

Tony-CA

Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1740 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2017 :  10:30:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gerry, just FYI: besides right heart failure and pulmonary hypertension as a result of chronically low O2 levels, you are also courting brain damage. While I can sympathize about wanting to go out with a heart attack rather than suffocation, there are lots of ways to deal with the issues of emphysema toward the end of life. If you keep your O2 levels up, and exercise as is usually encouraged, your sob will probably reduce. I use O2 to exercise and it allows me to go harder, faster and longer than I could without it, so I can stay in much better shape than if I didn't use it. I did enough damage to my brain way back in college, so I can't afford to lose any more brain cells! Just sayin'.........

Go to Top of Page

Sandyspen

USA
262 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  09:34:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm early stage Alzheimer's (inheritance from Mom, nothing to do with COPD) and 02 with COPD. I can tell you... COPD and 02 24/7 is nothing compared to Alzheimer's. It is horrific.

~ Sandy
"Happiness" is not a destination--it's the trip!
Go to Top of Page

fatpuppy

172 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  7:18:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with Sandy. Had half my left lung removed a year and a half ago because of lung cancer and diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer metastatic to my spine. COPD is the least of my worries.

ďAs democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.Ē H.L.Mencken 1920
Go to Top of Page

Sandy9s

USA
312 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2017 :  6:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Incruse Ellipta is my drug of choice for COPD/Emphysema. Breo is in the very same kind of delivery container, but it is for COPD/Asthma.
I take Incruse Ellipta (once a day) along with Advair 250 (twice a day). They are compatible drugs........both prescribed by my Pulmonologist.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000