New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rosytomato
Contributing Member

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2017 :  2:15:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone familiar with this corticosteroid? It's a once a day vs. 2x day for flovent HFA. I can't find any information on this like you can on some of the other ICS like QVAR, Alvesco etc.

Edited by - rosytomato on Jun 20 2017 2:18:44 PM

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
4003 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2017 :  4:41:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.arnuity.com/

Dave, Forum Administrator
COPD Support, Inc. http://www.copd-support.com/
Your source for peer support and COPD Info

Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com
Mobile chat room for pads and phone Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com/m

My Site: http://lungresources.com
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2017 :  6:55:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave. I did read that one but I don't understand why the once a day vs. the twice a day Flovent HFA, it's the same drug so is there a reason it would work "better" or "different" than the MDI? I don't get it, other than it's once a day.

It's probably going to cost more money too.

Edited by - rosytomato on Jun 20 2017 6:55:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
4003 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2017 :  11:34:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probability a slow release formula

Dave, Forum Administrator
COPD Support, Inc. http://www.copd-support.com/
Your source for peer support and COPD Info

Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com
Mobile chat room for pads and phone Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com/m

My Site: http://lungresources.com
Go to Top of Page

SEW4no

137 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2017 :  12:44:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rosy - Both drugs list fluticasone as the primary steroid but they differ in an addition property: furoate (Arnulty) and propionate (Flovent.) An internet search of "fluticasone furoate vs. propionate" brings up a lot of hits. One journal article said the furoate enhances the steroid, better symptom control, and less dosing. Arnulty is also used for those who are decreasing oral (pills)steroids. It comes in 2 doses 100 or 200 mcg per dry powder inhalation for once a day dosing. The Flovent is 44 mcg/inhal, 110 or 220 MDI. CFC free for twice a day dosing with a maximum of 440 mcg per day.

So they really are 2 different drugs. I hope this helps. Check with your pharmacist and your doctor.
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2017 :  4:31:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much sew4no. I believe that is what the pharmacist was trying to explain to me today, but he kind of lost me. My doctor didn't really say much except it works a little differently. Your explanation helped a great deal.

rosy
Go to Top of Page

SEW4no

137 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2017 :  11:53:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rosy - You are most welcome! Glad you found my reply helpful.
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2017 :  11:32:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a question about the Ellipta device. Once you open it to inhale the medication I never feel like I am inhaling deeply enough. I was wondering if I could inhale a second time while it was still open, still the same dose.

I remember when using Spiriva, once the capsule was loaded and punctured you could inhale twice. I'm not familiar on how the Ellipta is loaded with the medication but only that one dose is ready to inhale once you open the cap, so you would just be inhaling the same dose, not a second dose.
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2017 :  5:53:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone?
Go to Top of Page

tsainta
Contributing Member

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2017 :  6:43:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure you could. Why not?

Tony-CA

50% of dealing with COPD is common sense.
Go to Top of Page

Sokcap48

USA
835 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2017 :  8:50:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see no reason not to. You certainly couldn't overdose. And it might be a good idea, I know when I was taking Spiriva they suggest you do two inhalations to make sure you get the full amount of the capsule. I would think the same principe would be at work.

Paul-Ut
The Journey Continues.
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2017 :  2:29:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Tony & Paul.
Go to Top of Page

skhill

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2017 :  11:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rosy may I ask how is the Arnuity Ellipta working out for you? My PC prescribed it for me too just the other day. Any side effects from it that you have noticed?
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2017 :  6:54:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just saw your post, skhill. Sorry it took me so long to answer. I was using Flovent 110 2x a day, but I learned here from sew4no there is a difference between the two inhalers. If you back up to that post, it was explained really well. I think it may be working better, I think that's why my doctor wanted me to try it. It's only once a day also which makes it easier to use. So far, I only have the dry mouth, which I also had with the Flovent. I'm on it now for about 22 days.

rosy
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2017 :  3:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
skhill,

Just wondering how you were doing with the Arnuity Ellipta?

rosy
Go to Top of Page

skhill

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2017 :  10:41:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rosy,
I was prescribed a couple of different other meds too so I have not started the Arnuity yet. Don't want to try too many new meds at one time in case I have an reaction which would not be a big surprise. I seem to feel or react to most of the side effects to meds. Lucky me. How are you doing on yours Rosy? I just got off of a 30 day heart event monitor that is not going to show what I needed it to show. My heart did not act up like sometimes it does. Go figure. Now my doctor will think I am making this crap up. My heart will race at times and I will have chest pains and will feel very weak and my legs feel really weak too but while all of this is going on my blood pressure is usually at a good rate ( which it is usually high). My heart rate does not get real high but it will be over 100- 120 for hours sometimes or off and on for days like that. Some people say you have to have a really high heart rate for it to be A-Fib but that is not always true. It is strange how it only comes every so often like usually every other month or about every 6 weeks or so. As I get older it is coming more often in a years time. Used to only happen 2x year then 3-4 times a year now it can come 6-7 times a year. Any way thanks for asking about me. This is more than what you asked but if my memory is correct I believe you have A-Fib which is why I mentioned this. Take care Rosy,
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2017 :  09:45:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I've learned, any heart rate over 100 is considered some type of tachycardia. I do not have a-fib but do have tachycardia. Some of the drugs we use can cause our heart rate to speed up, especially the bronchodilators. Some of us are not affected at all. I'm always affected by these drugs. A racing heart is very uncomfortable and can cause you to feel short of breath too. I did have a cardiac ablation done which helped somewhat, but I still experience some tachy at times. Before the ablation, I would have a heart rate of 160 which meant a trip to the ER. Now when I get it is sometimes goes from 100 to 110 for a shorter period of time anywhere from a few minutes to half an hour.

What medications were you prescribed besides the Arnuity, and do you take anything for your rapid heart rate? Were you told you have a-fib? Do you see a cardiologist? (sorry about all the questions)

Arnuity is an ICS, so I don't think you would get a rapid heart rate from it like you would from a bronchodilator. But we are all so different.
Go to Top of Page

faybees

USA
116 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2017 :  10:13:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have Afib, had it for years. I take Digoxin for it and it has worked for years with no Afib breakthrough. Now in the past few months it has been coming and going. I was taking Warfarin because of a blood clot I had in my lung back in 2011. Doc said I would be on it for life because they did not know how I got the clot. Anyway, my hematologist took me off that a few months ago and put me on eliquis twice a day because I could not control my INR results. They were up and down all the time for whatever reason, that is why the change over to Eliquis. It was around that change over time that the Afib came back. Both doctors say it is just a coincidence that I started taking Eliquis when the Afib came back. Makes me wonder though. I saw my cardio last week and and we spoke about it, I wore a halter device twice and nothing showed. She spoke about ablation but said it was too drastic a thing to have for now and that meds were out of the question as they would mess up the other meds I am taking. She said maybe I should see an electro medicine doctor, but in the meantime I am to keep a diary of the Afib episodes and check with my oximeter what my heart rate is doing. I guess we shall see how it goes.
Go to Top of Page

Sandy9s

USA
308 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2017 :  12:46:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I take Incruse Ellipta -- which is, supposedly, for COPD (which is what I have.) The literature says that Arnuity Ellipta is for Asthma. But I'm sure both ellipta containers are the same. What I do is to "bubble out" (or trill sound) to a count of 8 two times in a row (to get all the air out).....and only then do I take a deep breath which I then blow all the way out..........BEFORE sucking in the Incruse medication.

"Bubbling" or "trilling" engages the diaphragm which is what we want to work to both sing ---- and to get a good dose of our medicine!
Go to Top of Page

skhill

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2017 :  8:59:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rosy, I have been told by my old cardiologist who is my cardiologist again (in and out of network) that I have a high heart rate and he put me on Bisoprolol Fumarate. I did not try it and found out from another doctor to take Metropolol instead. I have not tried it either because I was trying new COPD meds too. I think I am going to try the metropolol though. I hate taking meds because I always have some sort of reaction or feel some of the side effects which really bother me. I cant believe as I have gotten older I have become so sensitive to medications. They think this happened from a reaction to a tetanus shot I got many years ago that it affected my nervous system. I think they are right because I felt really strange about 20 minutes after I got it and ever since then nothing has been the same.
It is nothing for my heart to beat over 100 just by walking through the house. Sometimes it will race when I first wake up and especially if I have not had enough sleep. The beta blocker they have prescribed are supposed to help with the lowering the rate and also help with my blood pressure that runs on the high side too.
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2017 :  11:23:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would give the beta blocker a try. I take one also. I'm like you, do not react well to medications and get lots of side effects. The beta blocker should help with lowering your heart rate. It's worth a try. I take 100 mg. of Toprol XL in the morning. What meds are you taking for your COPD?
Go to Top of Page

Roadrunne98

USA
207 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2017 :  1:04:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you think the incruse Elliott would do me better than the breo?
Go to Top of Page

Sandy9s

USA
308 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2017 :  4:26:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always best to ask your Doctor re: Incruse Ellipta -vs- Breo Ellipta. I'd also read the information 1st on the internet -- before calling the Doctor.

I've been having some good luck with the Incruse Ellipta.

And, while I forgot to said this, I am now "sucking up 2 times" on the same opened hole of the ellipta container. It sure wouldn't hurt to get ALL of the powder or whatever it is out of its little numbered hole. And since our breathing is so compromised, 2 times might be better than just once! Thanks to whoever mentioned this!

Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1731 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2017 :  6:58:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Breo is a combination of a LABA and an inhaled corticosteroid; the Incruse is in the same class of med as Spiriva/ They do two completely different things.

Exercise not only lets me live, it enables me to have a life.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000