Taking Beta Blocker with COPD
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sandyspen

USA
261 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2017 :  7:57:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took a beta-blocker for 3 years before COPD diagnosis. My family physician continued it for the last 5 years. Today, hubby wasn't able to get a refill as there was no Atenolol to be had anywhere. The pharmacy called my doc for a substitute and he wouldn't give one.

The doc called me and made an appointment for in the morning. I read on the internet that there is no more Atenolol to be had. But not sure why he didn't substitute something else.

So I got on the internet to search for info. An article from Mayo Clinic kinda startled me.
-----------------------------
"People with asthma or COPD should not take beta-blockers, which may trigger severe asthma attacks or otherwise worsen symptoms, according to the Mayo Clinic. Doctors don't normally prescribe them for those conditions.

Beta blockers stimulate the muscles that surround the air passages so they contract and lead to difficulty in breathing, according to MedicineNet.com."
--------------------------

That sounds scarey. Anyone else on a Beta-blocker or have an opinion?

~ Sandy
"Happiness" is not a destination--it's the trip!

tsainta
Contributing Member

USA
1696 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2017 :  10:21:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had to quit beta blocker eye drops years ago because of the asthmatic reaction.

Tony-CA

50% of dealing with COPD is common sense.
Go to Top of Page

Sandyspen

USA
261 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2017 :  10:41:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, did they give you a substitute or just take you off any beta-blockers?
The article I read said there is a Beta-Blocker 2, especially made for those with lung problems. And (2) does not carry the same problems as with Beta-blocker 1. (Atenolol) Hope I get some answers in the morning. The beta-blocker keeps the heart rate down so I can stay on the treadmill longer.

~ Sandy
Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1722 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2017 :  09:20:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace inhibitors work just fine.

Exercise not only lets me live, it enables me to have a life.
Go to Top of Page

gms

USA
78 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2017 :  09:36:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sandy, I'm looking forward to hearing what your Doctor has to say and do regarding Atenolol. I've been taking it since my quad bypass in 1999. I was taking 50mg daily but when I started on my COPD meds 5 years ago the Doctor decreased my dose to 25mg a day.
Go to Top of Page

MDC

357 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2017 :  11:15:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have any arythmia problems Diltiazem might be an alternative as it is a calcium channel blocker.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/in-depth/calcium-channel-blockers/ART-20047605

MIke

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Go to Top of Page

tsainta
Contributing Member

USA
1696 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2017 :  12:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saandy, I just quit taking eye drops, which were sort of glaucoma preventative because of an ambiguous diagnosis. Glaucoma never developed (thank goodness).

Tony-CA

50% of dealing with COPD is common sense.
Go to Top of Page

Sandyspen

USA
261 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  10:37:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I made my doctor's appt yesterday. As soon as I sat down he said, "How did we get into this mess. When did I diagnose a beta-blocker. You should never take a beta blocker with COPD?" He was really upset. (I had printed the article that stated that, but it stayed crumpled in my pocket.) He was distraught over me taking both and him not catching it.

Anyway, he said, the beta blocker makes it difficult to breathe-- That's the main reason you don't give it to folks with COPD.
Actually, he had put me on the beta blocker 3 years before I was diagnosed with COPD. At the time, it was necessary. But, no one noticed that I was taking it after the COPD was diagnosed. He was very distraught but my Pulmo had noticed it either. And both docs are very thorough and I wouldn't switch for anything. It just happened. I should have been more aware myself.

Any way, I'll take 1/2 a pill for 5 days to wean off. And let him know if any issues at all. He thinks I'll feel much better and be easier to breathe and maybe lose a little weight as well. I can't wait to see how it goes. Wish my FEV1 would rise a little but don't think that can happen.

gms: if I were you, I'd give your doc a call. It was given to me for an emregency incident in 2009 (Heart at the time.) Then hospitalized with COPD in 2012.

~ Sandy
Go to Top of Page

Sandyspen

USA
261 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  10:43:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to thank all of you who offered alternatives. I'm trying to read about some of this stuff. Normally, I do that. I don't know how I missed the Atenolol. I think I'd just been taking it so long, never gave it a thought. Thanks for the all the suggestions!

~ Sandy
Go to Top of Page

skhill

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  11:00:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Sandy what medicine replaced your beta blocker? I asked this same question to all of my doctors and they told me the type of med that would help control and lower my heart rate was a beta blocker. I still have not taken either one that has been prescribed. I don't even want to try anything that could possibly make it harder for me to breathe and especially since I am not on anything for my COPD right now. I have not heard of a beta blocker 2. I will have to do some research. I was told that some beta blockers like Metoprolol was more of a selective beta blocker and had the less chance of it affecting the lungs.????? Still not confident in trying it.
Go to Top of Page

Sandyspen

USA
261 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2017 :  09:54:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Truthfully, I've been wondering about that myself. My doctor didn't mention replacing it. I'm going to call my Pulmo this morning. I didn't think it was a big deal, but the withdrawal from Atenolol started yesterday and not so fun. So I'm struggling with that right now. The doctor sure minimized the withdrawal, I'll say that. You can read about it on the internet though. "Beta Blocker withdrawal." Ugh...

If I learn more from my Pulmo, I'll write about it. Hopefully he will know of something better.

~ Sandy
Go to Top of Page

Sandy9s

USA
306 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2017 :  4:20:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are hundreds of blood pressure medications. I've stayed on the following for at least 10 years already! (Used to be on beta blockers).

20 mg. furosemide (Lasix is the brand name, but I'm on the generic)
320 mg. valsartan (Diovan is the brand name == too expensive)
5 mg. amlodipine (very cheap drug)

The above combination has worked well for me for many, many years. Yes -- if a brief catastrophe happens, i.e. a fall, bad news, husband needs tests -- anything my mind sees as "bad news," my blood pressure will immediately go to 185/100, or 200/110 -- or some other terribly high number. But I can feel that this is happening, and I immediately sit down and relax. Within 1 hour, my b.p. is back to its normal of about 140/85 or or 140/80.

Go to Top of Page

Sandyspen

USA
261 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2017 :  8:40:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sandy9s: Thank you for that info. I will call my Pulmo on Monday. I hope I can take just the blood pressure med.
I am not sure if I was taking Atenolol for blood pressure only. I was in the hospital way back then for heart issues (before COPD) I can't even think of the name right now, but it wasn't only blood pressure.

~ Sandy
Go to Top of Page

skhill

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2017 :  10:46:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sandyspen, that is my case as well on why I am prescribed a beta blocker. I have rapid heart beat at many times and flutters and at times it can take my breath away when it skips a beat. Not just for my high blood pressure. My pulmo said a more selective beta blocker would be fine and so did my cardiologist but like you I also read on the internet DO NOT TAKE if you have COPD or asthma. Yes there are many different blood pressure meds but they are all not designed to regulate heart rate. Please let me know what your pulmo says.
Go to Top of Page

Jane-PA
Rookie

USA
15 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2017 :  7:17:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been on Metoprolol 25 mg twice a day for 5 five years along with Lisinopril 2.5 mg once a day.
When I first started on it I told my cardiologist it made me tired all the time and he said I could cut the tablet in half which I did. I have CAD (coronary heart disease) with 3 stents in my heart, had 2 heart attacks, with little damage. I also read that beta blockers should not be used if you have copd and any doctor I mentioned it to didn't have much to say about it so that makes me very interested in your post Sandyspen. I've never heard of Atenolol and wonder why it was taken off the market. I'm also very interested in what the doctor will now prescribe for you.
Do you also take Lisinopril?

I was told when having a CT scan for something else I had an AAA (abdominal aortic aneurism) I had a graft done and was told for the rest of my life I would need a yearly ultra sound to make sure it was in place.

Interesting..... I read an article that medicare is adding this to the list of yearly tests, for 60 and older I think, they will pay for because it's found to be so common in older people and It's a silent killer, very common in smokers. I think it was Dick Gregory who just died from one.
If your not a good candidate for surgery they use a Y shaped stent put through the groin femoral artery rather than major surgery.

The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
5825 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2017 :  12:07:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if that Y-shaped stent could be put through the wrist artery like the other stents are?

Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

The Bad News: Time flies as you get older.
The Good News: Youíre still the pilot.

Penny's Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

And Our Travel Blog After LVRS

Go to Top of Page

gms

USA
78 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2017 :  2:26:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Penny... it would be a long trip from the wrist to the abdominal artery. If that type of stent could be placed through an artery it would be from the groin as a AAA (abdominal aortic aneurysm) generally occurs either just before or where the abdominal artery splits to feed both legs.
Go to Top of Page

Sandyspen

USA
261 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2017 :  2:35:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm finally in my second week without Atenolol and feel pretty good. It was a tough thing to do though. Omg, some weird symptoms that were just unnerving, but the absolute worst was diarrhea. You never knew when it was coming. That lasted for about 3 days. When that was over, I could handle any of the rest of it.

I only took half pills and still had the diarrhea. I was so sick of it one day, I took the other half just to get some relief.

By the first week, I wasn't taking any Atenolol. I feel great. The only thing I've noticed is that my heart rate is up pretty good. Only 71 or so when I'm sitting but if I walk around it's way into the 80's.

I haven't even talked to the doctor yet. And he hasn't called me, actually he looked so ashamed when he was talking to him, I don't think he wants me talking to him again. I didn't understand until the side effects started. Then I thought he was a darn jerk!

Not sure if I'll be calling him again..... lol

~ Sandy
Go to Top of Page

skhill

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2017 :  09:56:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went back to my cardiologist and he prescribed a beta blocker called Bisoprolol. I asked him if this would be ok to take since I have COPD. I feel like I should always remind them I have COPD. He said it was a very selective beta blocker and I should be fine. Anyone else used this drug before?
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
5825 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2017 :  7:19:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, okay, GM. I thought we were talking heart stents and the like. Sorry about that.

Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

The Bad News: Time flies as you get older.
The Good News: Youíre still the pilot.

Penny's Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

And Our Travel Blog After LVRS

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000