Deep cleaning of gums
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roadrunne98

USA
199 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2017 :  12:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone had a deep cleaning of their gums with copd?

SteveinMechanicsburg

64 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2017 :  3:16:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'll bite. Why would I want to do that?
Go to Top of Page

faybees

USA
62 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2017 :  3:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes it is ordered on your visit. I am gearing up to go for a cleaning, not looking forward to it I have to say.
Go to Top of Page

SteveinMechanicsburg

64 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2017 :  5:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I am asking is this: What do clean gums have to do with COPD? Is there a particular connection between "dirty" gums and, say, an exacerbation?

faybees says "sometimes it is ordered for your visit" . . . visit to who? The dentist or the pulmonologist? If pulmonologist, why would this person care about the cleanliness of one's gums?
Go to Top of Page

SteveinMechanicsburg

64 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2017 :  5:24:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps I am missing your point. Are you saying that you are going to the dentist, expect a deep-cleaning of your teeth / gums, and are concerned what effect such an action may have on your symptoms?
Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1685 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2017 :  8:07:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's usually done to prevent gingivitis and uses high pressure water pik like tools and goes under the gums. I don't see how or why it should affect anyone's COPD or why COPD would make the procedure any more uncomfortable.

Exercise not only lets me live, it enables me to have a life.
Go to Top of Page

Roadrunne98

USA
199 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2017 :  8:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Have receding gums and they want to deep clean below the gum line. I am afraid if they mess around my wisdom teeth they are so close to my sinuses I don't need any trouble. I am having no trouble now, I have no bleeding, no nothing. My lady friend got a deep cleaning done and her mouth was packed with gauze. I can't breathe now, I am on 02, and with a mouthful of gauze I can't see going thru that. I think I am going to ask my primary to write a note saying just do a regular cleaning. I might even check another dentist out first and go ask for just a cleaning.
Go to Top of Page

tsainta
Contributing Member

USA
1665 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2017 :  01:05:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They don't have to do the deep cleaning on the whole mouth at once.

Tony-CA

50% of dealing with COPD is common sense.
Go to Top of Page

Roadrunne98

USA
199 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2017 :  10:51:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to another place and they cleaned my teeth no problem. I told them I get them cleaned every 3 or 4 months . They said that is a good idea. Never suggested a deep cleaning.
Go to Top of Page

Jocopd
Rookie

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2017 :  9:18:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think your lady friend had the "real" deep cleaning. That one is where they inject numbing stuff, then cut your gum line and basically scrape out along the roots of the teeth then stitch it back up. They do it in quadrants. That is why she had all that gauze. My friends whole face turned black and blue. One dentist told me he needed to do mine. Another dentist told me he had to pull all my teeth. Well it does help to get another opinion and so glad you found a dentist who would do the normal cleaning! Wish he lived in my town.
Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1685 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2017 :  07:53:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a method of doing the deep cleaning using high pressure and water. It involves no cutting and is very effective. I've had it done, and while it's not pleasant, it works. If you don't have it done, your gingivitis will get worse and you probably will lose your teeth eventually.

Exercise not only lets me live, it enables me to have a life.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000