When are you more short of breath?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

faybees

USA
62 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  12:28:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More and more recently I find myself being short of breath in the morning, even after I have taken my meds and have the 02 turned up to 3. I used to always be a morning person, up at 5am to go skiing or golfing etc. (when I was well of course). More and more now I am finding that mornings are a real chore. I do not get mobilized much before noon. I have been noticing it recently, especially getting dressed (and that doesn't seem to matter what time of day it is)it just makes me winded.

I normally try to have my doc appointments in the morning. I hate sitting around waiting for an afternoon appointment, I find myself just waiting to go and not being productive. Last week I had an appointment at 10.15am, great I thought, get in and get out. It was pouring with rain, not a good sign and normally when I have this yearly appointment I have a bit of time in the waiting room to gather myself. Not on this day, I was hustled in right away. The sb was awful. My sats were good they were steady at 95 but the sb was bad (I put it down to the rain, I do not do well with damp). The nurse wanted to take me down to my car in a wheelchair when we were done, but I said no I would be ok. I was ok getting back downstairs and out to my car but it made me realise that morning appointments are not good anymore. They were kind enough to let me sit for a couple of minutes in the room to get my breath back, but they tend to look at you as if you are going to fall over dead on them lol.

I am fine washing floors, vacuuming, walking on the treadmill etc. but mornings suck.
What are your triggers?

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1685 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  12:57:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you talk with your doc about your sob? If your sats are good, but you're that sob, I would thinking about CO2 levels if I were the doc. If this persists, I would talk with the doc about getting an ABG to determine if your CO2 is high and then discuss a Bi-pap at night to help you control the CO2 better. If that's what's causing your sob in the morning, it would certainly help.

Exercise not only lets me live, it enables me to have a life.
Go to Top of Page

deb fla

USA
36 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  3:27:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jmrommes, apparently you are more clued in than my hospice nurse. I am on oxy 24/7, yet get sob very easily. I ask her and she just says it is part of the disease. how dose a bi-pap help co2

deborah brantley
Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1685 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  4:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It provides positive pressure for both the inhale and exhale, and thus helps with blowing off CO2. Check with your pulmonologist about this or your sleep doc if you have one. This is a widely used technique for helping control CO2 in COPD patients.

Go to Top of Page

sslei

73 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  6:23:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My breathing is quite similar to yours Faybees and I think it might be the weather. You are doing better if you can mop floors and vacuum though. Last time I went to a pulmonary, when they put me in that telephone booth(is what I call it) 1st time in over a year,they said my breathing had improved I felt pretty good that day even walked around in a grocery store for a bit with my walker. But we have had some rainy weather and, or real hot weather since and I have not felt like I did that one day since. I do use a trilogy machine for the Co2 retainment. I am waiting for Sept and Oct where I can I hope mop a floor and vacuum.
Go to Top of Page

Diane545

USA
159 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2017 :  11:01:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suffer more sob now doing just about any activities. It gets so bad I think I am not going to get any air even though I have my 02 on. I get my stats back up to normal and steel can't breathe sometimes. My pulmo wants to do sleep study. Would this tell if I need bi pap machine??
Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1685 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2017 :  10:17:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A sleep study would give you that information. However, if your O2 sats are going down and under 88 when you get sob, a bi-pap machine may not be the answer. If your sats are going down, try turning your O2 up. It may be that you need to turn your O2 up for exertion, and need the bi-pap.

Go to Top of Page

Roadrunne98

USA
199 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2017 :  6:35:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to tell everyone about this. I got my 02 delivery and he also had to check the register inside. I asked him if he could check how much force of 02 am I getting coming out of my nasal part. He said no he can't check that but he did put a tester on the pin that the tubing is attached to and it read the amt was 2 which is correct. I questioned this because my stats drop just crossing my house from kitchen to bedroom, also when I get up to go to the bathroom from my bed to the toilet back to the bed the finger 02 meter goes down to 72, 75, 78, always in the 70's. And I get SOB big time. I sit there whenever this happens and pulse lip breathe until it goes up to 88 or more. He opened the register to clean the filter and replaced it with a new filter in it. The filter was filthy. Then I said the green hoses they are giving are terrible, always knotting up and kinking. He looked and said the reason I am not getting enough 02 is that I had 2 25 ft. Hoses linked together with them couplings they give. He said I should be using 1 25 ft. Hose not 2 connected ones. As soon as I put the 50 ft. Hose on it was like so much air coming out I couldn't believe it. I used to put the nasal part in a glass of water to see if any was coming out, that's how low the flow was. So the new hose and the cleaning of the filter did wonders. Please check this for yourself and make sure you have 1 length, not 2 joined together. Now when I walk back and forth and I sit on my bed , it is in the 90 and above. And make sure they check and clean the register at least every 6 months. Hope I help someone with this.
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
5808 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2017 :  8:46:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roadrunner, were the 25' hoses connected by a swivel connection? A single 50' hose is much more likely to kink than the 2 properly connected 25'hoses. I might be thinking the increased air flow was due more to a cleaned filter than the single hose. And if you're on continuous O2, you can get a "liter meter" to check just how much O2 you're getting at your nasal cannula. Some O2 companies will will give you. Liter meter... http://tinyurl.com/yc78zk86

Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

The Bad News: Time flies as you get older.
The Good News: Youíre still the pilot.

Penny's Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

And Our Travel Blog After LVRS

Edited by - PennyPA on Sep 09 2017 8:53:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

faybees

USA
62 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2017 :  10:00:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I clean the filter on my machine myself and the people from Lincare come in every so often to check the machine. I use a 50ft single hose, it can be a pain with the kinking. I also have a flow meter and check the flow often and it is always where it should be. It is the act of dressing that kills me. Not sure why but it is the one thing I dread. It just makes me so short of breath.
Go to Top of Page

tsainta
Contributing Member

USA
1665 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2017 :  1:10:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A while back I think Bo suggested heating the hose in the oven at low temperature then taking it out and stretching it. I've done that and like the result. It is less kink-proof, but it no longer twists and I'm no longer constantly fighting with it.

Tony-CA

50% of dealing with COPD is common sense.
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

USA
1339 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2017 :  1:29:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, you mentioned Bo. I don't think we've heard from him for a while. I hope he is OK.
Go to Top of Page

tsainta
Contributing Member

USA
1665 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2017 :  3:19:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
His last post was July 19. That is a little worrisome.

Tony-CA

50% of dealing with COPD is common sense.
Go to Top of Page

Roadrunne98

USA
199 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2017 :  7:18:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I asked the guy to test it from the piece in my nose and he said he couldn't. He put the tester on the prong on the machine and it read 2. I can't believe the difference. I think it was so filled up with gunk on that filter that very little was coming thru at the nose. I wish he would have checked it before he changed the filter. This filter is inside and they open it up and change it. I noticed last night I walked across to check on my grandson if he was asleep, the b/r is on the other side of the house. I noticed I didn't walk over there with my walker, we talked a little, AND I WALKED BACK, sat on the side of the bed and did my finger 02 and it was 91. That was a miracle. I wasn't even sob. Even with my walker it usually was in the 70's by the time I came back and I sat there and did my breathing till I got it to 88 at least. I am thrilled. So make sure that filter is clean and serviced often. he did say that having 2 hoses together would lessen my 02 coming out.
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
5808 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2017 :  9:31:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still think he's wrong with that assumption because I test mine by pinching the one side of the nasal prongs together and mine, set at 1 3/4 lpm comes out right on the (excuse the pun)...nose! But those are good numbers after doing that walking. I bet you're relieved!

Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

The Bad News: Time flies as you get older.
The Good News: Youíre still the pilot.

Penny's Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

And Our Travel Blog After LVRS

Edited by - PennyPA on Sep 13 2017 9:32:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Gerry-FL
Rookie

USA
18 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2017 :  2:56:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by faybees

More and more recently I find myself being short of breath in the morning, even after I have taken my meds and have the 02 turned up to 3. I used to always be a morning person, up at 5am to go skiing or golfing etc. (when I was well of course). More and more now I am finding that mornings are a real chore. I do not get mobilized much before noon. I have been noticing it recently, especially getting dressed (and that doesn't seem to matter what time of day it is)it just makes me winded.

I normally try to have my doc appointments in the morning. I hate sitting around waiting for an afternoon appointment, I find myself just waiting to go and not being productive. Last week I had an appointment at 10.15am, great I thought, get in and get out. It was pouring with rain, not a good sign and normally when I have this yearly appointment I have a bit of time in the waiting room to gather myself. Not on this day, I was hustled in right away. The sb was awful. My sats were good they were steady at 95 but the sb was bad (I put it down to the rain, I do not do well with damp). The nurse wanted to take me down to my car in a wheelchair when we were done, but I said no I would be ok. I was ok getting back downstairs and out to my car but it made me realise that morning appointments are not good anymore. They were kind enough to let me sit for a couple of minutes in the room to get my breath back, but they tend to look at you as if you are going to fall over dead on them lol.

I am fine washing floors, vacuuming, walking on the treadmill etc. but mornings suck.
What are your triggers?

Since you ask about timing, I find that anything that triggers adrenaline makes me suddenly short of breath. It can be something as simple as an urgent need to go to the bathroom or any thing exciting. When I have to use a power tool that I'm not really comfortable with it also may happen. I don't know if there is any direct link with adrenaline but I'd be interested to know if anyone else observes that. Another problem I find is if I get too warm I find it hard to breathe.
Gerry

"I want to go quietly in my sleep like Uncle Amos. Not screaming and yelling like his passengers."
Go to Top of Page

Jocopd
Rookie

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2017 :  9:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stress will kick up my SOB in a heartbeat. Like this time of year when the medicare plans change and they either drop your meds or increase your deductible or some other nonsense. One of the pulmonary therapists told me that when you wake up in the am (after sleeping at night with oxygen) to just sit up, exhale and take a couple deep breaths and do some pursed lip exhales. The reason for this is that you were laying all night and a lot of the bad air can build up or too much good air can become trapped.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000