New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
5808 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2017 :  7:29:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I've done it. Caught a bug from someone (probably Bob) and now I can't move at all without O2 and even then I get seriously sob. Started a couple of days ago with low sats and high pulse (110+) I've not really been sick since my LVRS so I'm not too sure just what to do. I have been taking mucinex in hopes of loosening up any gunk in my lungs but nothing seems to be happening except I am coughing a lot. Oh, woe is me. My sats on 2lpm stay in the 90s but that high heart rate and the sob move in very rapidly.

Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

The Bad News: Time flies as you get older.
The Good News: Youíre still the pilot.

Penny's Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

And Our Travel Blog After LVRS

Edited by - PennyPA on Sep 01 2017 7:43:06 PM

tsainta
Contributing Member

USA
1665 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2017 :  7:47:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't mess with it. Get to a doc.

Tony-CA

50% of dealing with COPD is common sense.
Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1685 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2017 :  8:39:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Penny, you have way more sense than this. Find an urgent care or go to the ER. You're sick and you need something more than mucinex and O2. I hope by the time I post this, you will already have taken the advice you already got!

Exercise not only lets me live, it enables me to have a life.
Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

USA
1339 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2017 :  1:13:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How are you Penny? Hope you got checked out as per tony and jean's advice.

rosy
Go to Top of Page

Sokcap48

USA
804 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2017 :  6:39:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Wise One!----be just that!--get your butt to the ER and figure out what is going on. And let us know when you are up to it. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Paul-Ut
The Journey Continues.
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
5808 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2017 :  10:40:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay. Went to UC, he took x-rays, said my lungs look okay, ordered fluticasone (nasal spray) and Benzonatate 100mg pills. I don't think I'm a happy camper but I shall await comments from you guys who I trust more than a doctor who seems to think he's treating an allergy.

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

Edited by - PennyPA on Sep 02 2017 10:42:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

tsainta
Contributing Member

USA
1665 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2017 :  10:58:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Benzonatate is a cough suppressant, but you didn't mention a cough, and I can't figure out what a nasal steroid could do for low oxygen sats. I avoid cough suppressants. Coughing up crud is a good thing and difficult enough with COPD. I'd be ready to see someone else in short order.

Tony-CA

Go to Top of Page

faybees

USA
62 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2017 :  09:24:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not believe in cough suppressants either, get it up and out. I am surprised he did not give you steroids or an antibiotic. They are about the only thing that seems to help us. Any fluid build up anywhere?
Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1685 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2017 :  3:15:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we've all had situations where an allergic reaction started something that turned into an exacerbation. My concern is that he brushed off the low O2 sats and increased sob with typical exertion, along with the evidence of the LVRS. Sounds like a typical GP who doesn't recognize COPD when he sees it. If you don't respond to what he did do and things get worse, go back and be a little pushy. I'd insist on seeing someone who understands lungs and COPD specifically and ask for a pred burst and antibiotics.

Go to Top of Page

Sokcap48

USA
804 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2017 :  7:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Penny- can you get in to a Pulmonary Doctor ? Might be a little pricy but your health is worth it! Take care of yourself.

Paul-Ut
The Journey Continues.
Go to Top of Page

gms

USA
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2017 :  10:58:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if this will help you, but when I was traveling fulltime some neighbors in the campground I was in had some medical problems and they went into an urgent care clinic and the Doctor they saw contacted their Pulmonary doctor back home for a consult. Between the UC Doctor and their Pulmonary guy they figured out the best course of treatment and the UC Doctor wrote the necessary scripts.

If your still having problems and have a Pulmonary Doctor that you normally see, ask the UC Doctor to give him a call.
Go to Top of Page

Diane545

USA
159 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2017 :  11:05:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not fond of UC, they diagnosised me wrong and ended up at ER. I agree about prednisone and antibiotic, my pulmo says it works best for COPD patients even if allergies are suspected.
Go to Top of Page

Sandy9s

USA
298 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2017 :  12:33:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prednisone burst -- I usually do/per day: 20,20,20,15,15,15,10,10,10,5,5,5 -- this is my 12-day regimen. Sometimes the Pulm. Doctor starts me out at 40 for 3 days, if I am worse than my usual "bad." Along with an antibiotic, I usually begin to feel better in about 3 to 4 days. And "feeling better" usually means "breathing better."

I have both Prednisone (in 20's and in 5's) and Levoquin on hand. I seem to be using them a couple of times between January and March of every year...for the past several years.

Go to Top of Page

faybees

USA
62 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2017 :  2:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone heard from Penny on how she is doing?
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
5808 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2017 :  4:53:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Faybees. I'm home from a 2-day stay in the hospital, a good hospital recommended by my son. Finally called the ambulance around 9:30 Sunday night when I was just so short of breath and my pulse was pushing 133 (too high for me). Went to Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester. The tech in the ambulance put me on 4 lpm O2 (oh, that felt so much better!) and did an early EKG, and the other usual stuff they do in ambulances on the way to the hospital. I had to sit up because I get motion-sick, even when I was an EMT, and that worked. At the hospital, another EKG, Chest x-rays (lungs looked good!), put on doxy and pred (hallelujah!) and spent the night in the ER. The PA came by the next morning and said we should see just how I do without O2. Okay. But then she left and FORGOT to tell my nurse she had done that!! My sats dropped to 79 before I wised up and turned it back on. Sheesh.
So much for my faith in PAs. Monday I was moved up to a regular floor where they only check your sat level every 4 hours. I told the nurse that was a problem for me (I need to know when my sats are 98-100 (too high) or 89-90 (too low). My body is used to them around 97 and that's where I want them to be. Called my son and he bought me a pulse ox. Tuesday, I was walking the floor with O2 set at 2 lpm. Diagnosis: Bronchitis in the form of acute COPD exacerbation. They advised that I use O2 during the day and slowly wean myself back to normal (no O2 during the day). Oh, I was a good girl and wore a mask but I think at that point it was more to protect others, not me. I already had what I had.

So, that's my story. I should have gone to a Strong Urgent Care Center in the first place; I should have called the ambulance (if needed) a bit earlier in the evening; I should have taken my care into my own hands re: the PA. So now I'm going to take a nap!! It's raining here in New York and just a beautiful day for napping.

Go to Top of Page

Sokcap48

USA
804 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2017 :  7:17:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update Penny, you take care of yourself and get back to your old self. Get back your strength.

Paul-Ut
The Journey Continues.
Go to Top of Page

tsainta
Contributing Member

USA
1665 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2017 :  7:51:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good move. Nobody--no doctors, no PAs, no NPs, etc.--know your body as well as you do. Act on what you know, not what they are speculating. Glad to hear you got the needed treatment and are on the mend. All us "juniors" wouldn't know what to do without you!

Tony-CA

Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1685 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2017 :  9:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Penny, glad you got good treatment and are feeling better! Might want to stop in and let the UC guy know what he missed......

Jean

Go to Top of Page

rosytomato
Contributing Member

USA
1339 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2017 :  08:58:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy to hear you're on the road to recovery. How is you're heart rate now? Hope that's better too.

rosy
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
5808 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2017 :  12:02:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rosy, as I was sitting here, I went back and read my LVRS blog and noticed I had a high heart rate after the surgery, too. I asked the RTs about that and they said not to worry about it; it would stabilize as my condition improved. So I decided to take their advice from 2008 and apply it now and they were right...it is stabilizing. I think I am NOT a patient person. I want to be back to "normal"...NOW. I still have the cough but I can get through most of the day without using my O2 if I don't overdo the activity. My sats do tend to get a little weak in the evening though. Thank you all for the "kick in the pants" I needed to get the care necessary to start conquering this. Jeanne, both sets of x-rays showed clear lungs (well, as clear as someone with copd would have) and that's why the first place didn't put me on anti's or pred. The hospital did mainly because of my history of copd.

Go to Top of Page

tsainta
Contributing Member

USA
1665 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2017 :  1:26:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Penny, I think you point out why it is important to seek medical help from practitioners experienced with COPD. The early stages of problems are often not discoverable by x-ray and by the time they are, the problem is compounded significantly.

Tony-CA

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000