Extended stomach
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nikilet

USA
48 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2017 :  12:28:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it normal to have a large stomach from copd?

I don't drink alcohol at all. I do drink some diet rootbeer. I really don't eat that much, but I have this huge upper abdomen. It looks like I'm getting close to delivering a baby, and I mean that literally.

If anyone has information to share with me on this subject I would appreciate it. I am so uncomfortable with this stomach.

Jocopd

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2017 :  2:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have heard many people complain about this on the internet and they say it is a side effect of Spiriva like on this post: www.medschat.com/Discuss/Spiriva-weight-gain-side-effects-237840.htm
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
4138 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2017 :  2:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think it is hyperinflated lungs not stomach.

https://www.healthtap.com/topics/symptoms-of-hyperinflated-lungs

Dave, Forum Administrator
COPD Support, Inc. http://www.copd-support.com/
Your source for peer support and COPD Info

Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com
Mobile chat room for pads and phone Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com/m

My Site: http://lungresources.com
Go to Top of Page

Diane545

USA
263 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2017 :  09:12:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a very large stomach to. I get so frustrated cause even though I have lost weight it still is big. I have been told I have hyperinflation lungs. I also have non-alcoholic fatty live and liver is twice itís size. I have even thought maybe itís the oxygen. It makes me uncomfortable and feel it causes me to be more short breath. I have emphysema.
Go to Top of Page

hamtol

USA
282 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2018 :  7:48:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there anything we can do about this. I am 5" 11" and weigh 144 lbs. But my stomach makes me look like I am 15 or 25 lbs heavier. I am even still a 32 waist, but you'd never think it to see this stomach of mine. It even interferes with how much I eat. I can't eat a Micky D burger and fries (which isn't too bad cause I hate Mickey D's, LOL). Either the burger or fries alone now fills me up. Will exercise help or is this something I just have to live with?
Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1895 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2018 :  8:58:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The deal with extended and hyperinflated lungs is that they take up a lot of space, and squeeze other organ, especially your stomach and diaphragm. As far as I know there is nothing that anyone can do about that. Losing weight doesn't help, because it's not a weight issue. Your lungs are simply too big for the space allotted for them and their taking space away from other things. That's one of the reasons you can't eat much: your lungs are pressing on your stomach and reducing the amount your stomach can comfortably hold. I wish there was another answer, but I don't think there is.

Exercise not only lets me live, it enables me to have a life.
Go to Top of Page

hamtol

USA
282 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2018 :  02:07:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. I pretty much thought it was something I just have to live with. My PCP and I talked about whether I could be a candidate for LVRS, but she was unaware of the procedure. I see a new pulmo next month; I'll talk with her about it.
Go to Top of Page

Diane545

USA
263 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2018 :  06:15:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jean, that is the best answer I have received. Even the my doctors canít explain it. I have lost 12 lbs and it is just big as ever. I get so bloated when I eat to. Plus I have buy larger sizes to fit belly. At least now I know not beat myself up by trying to figure out what is causing it.
Go to Top of Page

Nikilet

USA
48 Posts

Posted - May 01 2018 :  12:36:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, thank you Jean for this explanation!

Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
5893 Posts

Posted - May 01 2018 :  9:25:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hamtol, where do you live? I lived in PA but had my LVRS done at Duke in NC. However, there are other facilities throughout the United States that do the surgery. I just passed my 10 year mark and I'm feeling great. I would wholeheartedly recommend this surgery to anyone who qualifies. You can read about my experience with LVRS at the blog below.

Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

The Bad News: Time flies as you get older.
The Good News: Youíre still the pilot.

Penny's Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

And Our Travel Blog After LVRS

Edited by - PennyPA on May 02 2018 9:58:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

hamtol

USA
282 Posts

Posted - May 11 2018 :  12:17:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So sorry, Penny, I just saw this. I live in Chicago right now and my doctor is at Univ of IL. I meet my new pulmo in 3 weeks. My Medicare kicked in and since I choose an HMO, I had to get all new doctors. I plan to talk to her about LVRS and pulmo rehab when we meet.
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
5893 Posts

Posted - May 11 2018 :  1:42:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The pulmo rehab will help a lot whether you qualify for LVRS or not. As part of our pre-surgery stuff at Duke, we had to go to rehab 5 days a week, 3 hours a day. Loved it and kept at it for awhile after surgery but then left the area and, unfortunately, slowly got off the exercising train. :( Did a lot of walking via geocaching when we were in Vegas but have even slowed up on that now. I am so ashamed!
: ((

You canít change the past but you can ruin the present worrying about the future.

Edited by - PennyPA on May 11 2018 1:43:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sandyspen

USA
294 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2018 :  10:43:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy! Do I hear you one this one. I'm 5'11" and have been slim all my life until COPD. It seems to be my stomach but a little higher.

I'm not big busted at all, but have to add 4/5 extenders to my bra because of this darn big belly. I just hate it.

eck!

~ Sandy
"Happiness" is not a destination--it's the trip!
Go to Top of Page

tsainta
Contributing Member

USA
1823 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2018 :  12:44:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm 5'11" and I've been slim all my life also until COPD. Not only has my belly grown considerably, but I need a bra for the first time in my life! So far, no extenders.

Tony-CA

50% of dealing with COPD is common sense.

Edited by - tsainta on Jun 06 2018 12:27:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Diane545

USA
263 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2018 :  3:25:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow glad Iím not the only one with the bra extensions. I tend wear one that is so stretched out cause I like comfort. Then I have the problem of getting pants fit. They are either to tight or slide below my belly and fall off, lol.
Go to Top of Page

PennyPA
Contributing Member

USA
5893 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2018 :  1:43:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sandyspen, Diane and Tony(?), it sounds like you're wearing your bras in the wrong place!! If you have to wear extenders on your bras (or in Tony's case, now find the need for a bra(??)), you have hyperinflated lungs, not an extended stomach. Of course, you might also have a larger than normal stomach but that's not causing the bra problem. Been there; done that.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000