Best substitute for Spiriva Inhaler?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jan-KS

USA
77 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2017 :  01:40:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My insurance company just informed me that Spiriva (which I have been on for years) will no longer be covered at all - so unless I want to pay the $400 or so full-price cost of it, I will need to start taking another drug. They offered these examples of covered drugs:

Advair (tried twice and it NEVER helped)
Breo (heard of but never tried)
Incruse (never heard of)
Anoro (never heard of)

Any suggestion as to which would be the closest in action to Spiriva? I'm OK with adding another nebulized drug as well if that's what it takes to keep me breathing well. I meet with my new pulmonologist on January 2nd (my last one was wonderful but tragically died in a small engine plane crash) and I'll get his input of course, but I think I sometimes trust other's experiences with a drug than just what the Dr recommends.

Jan C

Jocopd

USA
93 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2017 :  08:47:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ADC - All Day Chemist. I recently ordered 90 caps for $36.00. Plus $10 shipping. So $46 for 3 months. It is the generic version of Spiriva and is called Tiova. I prefer ADC since both the generic spiriva and the generic advair I get come in clear capsules so you can see your actually getting the drug. If you want to know how to maneuver through the order process just let me know and I will post it since I was very lost the first time. I doubt I will even use my insurance any more for these 2 since the co pay would be $45 for one month each till donut hole.
Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1774 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2017 :  10:01:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spiriva Respimat won't be available through ADC, but the dry powder version, Tiova, is. It is the same as Spiriva, and has been available through ADC for many years. Of the meds you listed, only Incruse is in the same class of medication (anticholinergic) as Spiriva.

The insurance companies are required to carry one med in each class, so they're meeting the requirement. Of the meds you listed, Advair and Breo are in the same class (LABA and ICS) and Anoro is a combination of a LABA and a LAMA.

Exercise not only lets me live, it enables me to have a life.
Go to Top of Page

SEW4no

142 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2017 :  10:54:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ADC also has the Tiova (tiotropium/spiriva) in an MDI format - works great for those who can't tolerate drugs with a powder base. Check out their prices. It indeed may be a whole lot cheaper per month than your copay of any other drug thru your insurance. I use echeck.
Go to Top of Page

Jan-KS

USA
77 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2017 :  7:47:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much - I have ordered from All Day Chemist and if the Dr doesn't find a suitable substitute I will get my Spiriva/Tiova through them. So jmrommes - do you think I should talk to my doctor about switching to Incruse first and see if that helps (I also need to find out what tier level Incruse and the others are on) I paid a $94 co-pay with Spiriva and never thought about ordering it online - could have saved a LOT of money. I tried to stop taking it for about a week due to the cost and had serious congestion by the end of the week - once I got back on Spiriva I started feeling "normal" again. Thank you all for your help!

Jan C
Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1774 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2017 :  9:11:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For myself, I'm of the firm belief that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I just went back to the Advair and Combivent combination I used successfully for years, after about 18 months of using Spiriva respimat, which I discovered really didn't do anything for me. So if the dry powder version of Spiriva works for you, use it and don't mess with a good thing unless you have to. The Incruse is new, so it will be expensive; I don't know how expensive, but Tiova will definitely be less expensive from ADC. You can probably call your pharmacy and find out what your co-pay would be.

Go to Top of Page

Jan-KS

USA
77 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2017 :  11:36:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good advice jmrommes!

Jan C
Go to Top of Page

Jan-KS

USA
77 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2017 :  5:31:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just ordered it - it's so funny they ask for a dr's number or prescription but they seem to let the transaction go through without it - should I expect a call from them requiring a RX? I seriously doubt my pulmonologist would write an RX for a drug in India.

Jan C
Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1774 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2017 :  8:49:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They won't ask! Don't worry about it.......

Go to Top of Page

Jocopd

USA
93 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2018 :  09:19:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If needed your doctor can give you a written prescription which you would then fax or scan and email to the pharmacy. Some pharmacys - like in Canada - might require a script and that is how you do it. They do not work like CVS or Walgreens where everything is done electronically so it doesn't have to come electronically from the dr.

When I asked my doc for a written one she asked what for and I explained I was going to get meds thru Canada as they were cheaper. She had no problem with that and even responded "I don't see anything wrong with that as they seem a healthy lot up there"

The only call I get from ADC is after I order using the money order option they will call and ask if I want to use a credit card. For some reason I don't see the credit card option on my order screen but it works out.
Go to Top of Page

hamtol

USA
277 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2018 :  05:14:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ADC has a pay by voucher option for those who want to pay by credit card. The option does not show up on the website. After you order, call their customer service number and tell them you want to pay for your order by voucher. They will set it up and send you a link to the website of the company that handles it. But before you do this, check with your credit card or debit card company to make sure they process international sales (some companies only accept domestic charges). I use this option and it's much faster than sending a money order.
Go to Top of Page

lauri-l
Rookie

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2018 :  7:59:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too will not be able to use Spiriva due to my insurance which I have used for 8 years. I really dislike change lol. I will order from ADC for the first time. Does the script need to be written for the generic name or for Spiriva. Incruse makes me nervous. There are a lot of common side effects. Thanks all
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
4038 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2018 :  8:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No script necessary.

Dave, Forum Administrator
COPD Support, Inc. http://www.copd-support.com/
Your source for peer support and COPD Info

Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com
Mobile chat room for pads and phone Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com/m

My Site: http://lungresources.com
Go to Top of Page

lauri-l
Rookie

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2018 :  12:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am currently taking Breo with Spiriva. I really like the results of the Breo. Oddly I wonder why my doctor is giving me both of them? He also added Daliresp every other day. I have definitely seen an improvement!
Go to Top of Page

lauri-l
Rookie

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2018 :  12:59:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When ordering from ADC does the Tiova come with a device to inhale the cap lets such as Spiriva does? I found another online pharmacy where it was not included. TIA
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
4038 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2018 :  1:20:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it does

Dave, Forum Administrator
COPD Support, Inc. http://www.copd-support.com/
Your source for peer support and COPD Info

Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com
Mobile chat room for pads and phone Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com/m

My Site: http://lungresources.com
Go to Top of Page

muddleaged

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2018 :  06:51:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But I didn't like the device that comes with it. I use my old spiriva device with the tiova from ADC. Works well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000