COPD Support - COPD Information
 Prednisone
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bonnielu

83 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  1:28:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone here on a maintenance dose of prednisone? For how long and the ml? How do you keep track of your osteoporosis?

sslei

109 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  6:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There were already two threads started for the predisone, and I have been on it before , but I was told I probably should avoid it if possible with bone loss. You will probably get an answer or you could go back and read the other two they are still showing on the screen.
Go to Top of Page

Sokcap48

USA
888 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2018 :  10:52:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am on 10 per day for 1 1/2 years. Do to my double lung transplant. :-)). I am on Aldendonate once a week 70mg, multi vit. With D and also take two 400iu tablets per day of D and take calcium with D.

Paul-Ut
The Journey Continues.
Go to Top of Page

Diane545

USA
263 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2018 :  09:52:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am on 5 mg for year and take vitamin D & Calcium. I have gained weight and have the moon face which I canít stand. I have had bone density scan and have beginning osteoporosis. My husband was on 2 mg for about 15 yrs and had no major side effects. I think it effects everyone different.
Go to Top of Page

nanreyn
Rookie

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2018 :  12:39:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Overall -- do all of you feel the prednisone is worth it as far as helping with breathing and more energy. I'm 82, so not too worried about the side effects

Nancy Reynoplds
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
4138 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2018 :  1:02:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought so, but the cost of my use was too high. I ended up with a very hard to cure infection.

Dave, Forum Administrator
COPD Support, Inc. http://www.copd-support.com/
Your source for peer support and COPD Info

Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com
Mobile chat room for pads and phone Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com/m

My Site: http://lungresources.com
Go to Top of Page

nanreyn
Rookie

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2018 :  1:11:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should say that I - nanreyn are posting for my SO, not myself. Can't get him to look at these forums.

Nancy Reynoplds
Go to Top of Page

tsainta
Contributing Member

USA
1823 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2018 :  3:27:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm 78 and I've been on prednisone, mostly at 10mg or more, for over five years. Side effects have been fragile skin and hairline spinal fractures (probably from prednisone). My philosophy has been and is, I'm going to do it if it improves my current quality of life. If I don't, I'll just be sitting around the house waiting to die. What's the point of that?

Tony-CA

50% of dealing with COPD is common sense.
Go to Top of Page

Jan-KS

USA
86 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2018 :  11:11:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been on a maintenance dose of prednisone for about 10 yrs. Started as 10 mg a day. Every time I tried to drop the dose to 5mg I would get very congested so I would return to the 10 mg. Maybe it was all in my head, but I have a different pulmonologist (my first one died in a small engine plane crash!) Again I dropped to 5 mg and started having problems immediately, he suggested going to 7.5 mg for a while then dropping to 5 for a while then 2.5 for a short time (since that's virtually nothing) and then quit. If you're going to decrease to 7.5 from 10 mg you need to take 1 1/2 5 mg pills rather than try to split the 10 mg into 4 pieces!! I'm at 5 mg again and I did fine on it for a long time and was getting ready to drop to 2.5 when I started having problems - which I - so far - blame on the weather. My husband is in ICU right now so I'm visiting the hospital daily (luckily he's in an ICU for trauma rather than disease - so no flu here) and I think the cold air from trying to get to the hospital parking garage to the hospital is probably bothering me so I will stay at 5 for a little while longer but still plan to eventually get off this drug.

As far as side effects - on the 10 mg dosage I have the "moon face" a lump of fat behind my neck that is painful to sleep with, my bone density is getting bad but I can't tolerate the meds for it so I'm going to try the 2x a year shot if my insurance covers it. Weight gain (especially in the mid-section) and cataracts - which I had removed 1 yr ago and now may have to have the cloudy spots removed from them as often as once per year.

I went through a period of time when I was frequently hospitalized with exaccerbations and - I suspect - panic attacks because I went into a full scale panic anytime I would get very out of breath. I was on doses of prednisone as high as 120 mg a day but more often an 80 mg taper. Within a year I had virtually no immune system left. The high doses would cause me to constantly cry, be unreasonable, hateful and uncooperative. They gave me Abilify to work with my anti-depressant and I went full-out psychotic (don't have much memory of it but I guess it was pretty bad). I had the flu shot but still caught H1N1 and was in ICU and the hospital for 2 weeks. After that episode I was placed on O2 24/7 instead of just at night - and my lung function is down to 23%. When I had alergy testing it showed that of the 14 viruses included in the flu shot my body produced antibodies to only 4. A test with Tentanus and Diptheria resulted in only antibodies for Diptheria. A second does of Tetanus, however, did work.

I would encourage everybody to try not to get on a maintenance dose of prednisone if possible - it's not always up to what you want, but how you disease is progressing. Then request a taper no higher than 60 mg when ill or hospitalized. Your immune system will be better off and your entire psychological well-being will be more in control.(however 60 mg of prednisone would make my mother very angry and paranoid-accusing everybody of stealing for her, threatening to sue the hospital because they didn't send her home with her left-over inhalers etc. ) So it can be a real problem at any high dose - unfortunately it is sometimes unavoidable. It is truly a "wonder drug" for COPD exaccerbations and I know of no other substitute. For a while I was also on daliresp but it didn't stop the exacerbations, for the last 2 yrs or so I've been on a Monday, Wednesday, Friday dosage of azithromyecin and I have had no exaccerbations or hospitalizations for COPD - so instead of taking prednisone you might ask your dr if a maintenance dose of an Antibiotic might help better. Yes, there is a risk that azithromycen may reult in more resitant organisims in your lungs = but this particular antibiotic was shown in studies to be the least likey to do that - which is why they use it.

Jan C
Go to Top of Page

nanreyn
Rookie

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2018 :  12:43:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We did get the Dr. to give SO a script for 5 mg prednisone. He started it yesterday, so will see if it helps. Does anyone know how long it usually takes for it to kick in?

Nancy Reynoplds
Go to Top of Page

Diane545

USA
263 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2018 :  4:03:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I think worth it, make s breathing much better. I am on 5mg for about Year and trying get off. Every time I go to 2.5 I can feel it. I just donít want another excasberation or hospitalization. For a few years I was in every six months. I think 5hey should kick in right away.
Go to Top of Page

Sandy9s

USA
393 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2018 :  8:06:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It took me till Day #7 for a Prednisone Taper to kick in. I started at 30/30/30/20/20/20/10 (kicked in and started loosening the phlegm).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000