Co2 -vs- No Co2 -- Describe
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sandy9s

USA
393 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2018 :  12:35:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can someone describe to me how it feels to need CO2 and then difference in how you feel without it. I know that the Pulse Oximeter is the final say-so, but I've been testing myself around my house both with CO2 set at 2 L and then going without it and retesting my sats. It seems my chest kind of tightens up w/o it and then soon I will probably start huffing and puffing. With the CO2 on (at 2L), I don't huff and puff as much.......but I still do. This activity is just walking 1 room away into the kitchen at the sink -- putting a couple of dishes into the dishwasher. I'm not talking much activity here.

If my sats are 87-89 without CO2, then my sats are 90-93 with it....again set at 2L. Should I be trying 2.5L while in my house?
I ask -- because while sitting still, I am at 93-94 without oxygen.
It goes 96-98 while on the oxygen...sitting still.

The huffing and puffing of 85-89 sats are what is finally making me wear the oxygen which I have had in my house for about 5 years already. I have hardly ever worn it, but I haven't been huffing and puffing as much in the past.......and the tightness from not breathing properly is fairly new. I'm hoping it is just some sort of exacerbation.........but not sure. I do not have a cold or more coughing than my usual.

So when is it time to bite the bullet and go on oxygen 24/7??

Jocopd

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2018 :  08:36:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now is the time to bite the bullet. Actually 5 years ago when you were prescribed it was the time :).
Lack of oxygen can damage many of our organs without us knowing it just like smoking damaged our lungs without us knowing it. So you might not feel anything like when your sleeping. My oxygen drops to 72% when I sleep but I don't feel it. And I can't check with the oximeter when I sleep. I was prescribed oxygen for when I sleep and I use it. Took me a few months but after I read the damage that not getting enough oxygen does to your organs it makes no sense not to use it.

If you are prescribed to be on it then you should be. 90-93 is ok and I would not worry about needing additional oxygen level to increase that. But why are you looking to raise that to 93-94 but not willing to use it at 2L to raise the 85. I think your overlooking the bottom line which is the 85 is not good. And that is more important than raising the 90-93 to 93-94. You will not help the 85 by going on 2.5L when your sitting to get to 93. At pulmonary therapy they (the therapy techs) will pull us off the machines and make us sit down, purse lip breath and rest if we drop that low until we get above 85. That's how dangerous that is. You need to be on oxygen at 2L as prescribed.

Overall copd is a progressive disease and you will see a decline over the years in your breathing and mobility. At some point your doc may raise the level. I know many people on 7L. They make machines that go up to 10L. Using oxygen helps us to live better longer and slows the decline. It also stops organ damage. I have progressed from night only use to now where the doctor prescribed it for whenever I am active. All this time it is 2L. I have noticed since using it when I am supposed to that my mind is sharper and I don't forget as much.

So the feeling when you need CO2 is huffing/puffing, unable to catch your breath, lack of mobility, lack of energy, forgetfulness, lack of comprehension just to name a few and the feeling without it is you feel drained, slow, unable to do simple tasks.

Edited by - Jocopd on Jan 14 2018 08:37:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

1895 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2018 :  08:44:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going without O2 when your sats are in the 80s is an invitation for right heart and brain damage, and you probably aren't interested getting either one. It's a good thing to have an oximeter; now you probably want to pay more attention to it. My doc and I have an agreement, that I will keep my sats as close to the mid-90s regardless of what I'm doing. That means wearing my O2 at times when it's annoying and a hassle that I'd really like to avoid, but I want to avoid brain damage more. I don't know about you, but I did enough damage in college and can't afford to lose any more brain cells!

Jean

Exercise not only lets me live, it enables me to have a life.
Go to Top of Page

Jocopd

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2018 :  08:49:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sent you an email jmrommes.
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
4138 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2018 :  5:25:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need O2, CO2 is when you exhale.

Dave, Forum Administrator
COPD Support, Inc. http://www.copd-support.com/
Your source for peer support and COPD Info

Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com
Mobile chat room for pads and phone Chat room http://chat.copd-support.com/m

My Site: http://lungresources.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandy9s

USA
393 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2018 :  7:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your responses and, yes, Dave -- I misspoke. It should say: 02 -vs- no 02. But that looks pretty funny with the typing. People did, however, know what I meant. Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

Diane545

USA
263 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2018 :  09:29:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My husband aunt has emphysema and refused to wear her 02 and now has permanent brain damage. It is really sad cause it could have been avoided. I donít think people realize that in the earlier stage you can get by without using 02 but it is causing damage. I was one of these people until I found out the damage it causes to other organs. Now I wear my 02 with pride.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000