Nose runnjng
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

paulmjo

USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  08:55:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even with chronic bronchitis, I wonder if my sinuses should drain so much, especially in the morning. Wonder if doctors are missing something?
I can feel pretty good, then a cough, then lots of coughing, thick mucus coughing up, then nose runs clear for quite a long time, use 7-8 tissues.
Anyone else have these ssues. Coughing then irritates and causes more SOB until things calm down.

gms

USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  11:01:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've discussed this issue with both my PCP and Pulmonary doctors. While it isn't an every day occurrence with me I keep Fluticasone Propionate (Flonase) and Guaifenesin (mucinex) on hand and use them as needed. Flonase, available either OTC or with a script takes care of my runny, drippy nose and the Mucinex thins out the mucus. I take them separately or together depending on whats happening and they work great for me.
When the doctors first suggested these I needed them every day, but within a week or so things improved and now I only need them a few times a month.
Go to Top of Page

tsainta
Contributing Member

USA
1875 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  1:06:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have developed a chronic runny nose--I think from high flow O2 24/7.

Tony-CA

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
--Andy Rooney
Go to Top of Page

Sandy9s

USA
492 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2019 :  8:23:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have a runny nose, but I have mucus and coughing due to chronic bronchitis. I've done some reading about goblet cells which, in my case, must be overly productive. Some of the articles speak to this. I would do some reading about goblet cells and mucus.

Go to Top of Page

paulmjo

USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2019 :  08:26:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies, I use Mucinex a couple times a day also, but not Flonase. Will check with doctor, I get it mostly in the morning and about dinner time.
Go to Top of Page

mxh0471

USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2019 :  11:18:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the same basic conversation with my PCP last fall when the weather started cooling. He recomended I try montelukast this winter, I have and have to admit I can now sleep through the night without nasal mucus, can exercise daily without inhaler or talk without clearing my throat. It is an inexpensive RX, ADC also has, that was originally aimed at asthma patients but it does help me. Just another option for you all... Mike

Mike-mi
Go to Top of Page

Jocopd

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2019 :  06:48:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Montelukast is also known as Singulair
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
4266 Posts