Transplant & LVRS Topics
 out of pocket expensives for transplant
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SEW4no

222 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2019 :  9:53:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone pressuring me to consider transplant and tried to explain the high out of pocket expensives related but he wanted me to be more specific. Check several sites to make a list and one did list the multiple costs: lodging near center, frequent trips for tests pre-post, false trips for surgery, medications, etc. Not having anyone (family/friends available) everything would be on my own. Have Medicare & UHC supplement. Can anyone suggest a web site with more specific info? Or have a ball park figure on what a person spends.

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
4292 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2019 :  11:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just attended part of the CF Foundation transplant minicon. I slept through part of it. They have a young population getting a transplant, one that is in the work force and their support is in the work force.

One point, transplant centers require you to have one or two support people available, with one going through the journey with you from end to end. My co-pay for the transplant itself would be about $10,000. Other costs for me are minimal as I have family near the center, and a family member is a nurse on site.

Here is the information the CF Foundation has on transplant.

https://www.cff.org/Life-With-CF/Treatments-and-Therapies/Lung-Transplantation/

Dave, Forum Administrator
COPD Support, Inc. http://www.copd-support.com/
Your source for peer support and COPD Info

My Site: http://lungresources.com
Go to Top of Page

SEW4no

222 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2019 :  10:59:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave for your reply and link =I'll check it out.
Go to Top of Page

Sokcap48

USA
950 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2019 :  11:35:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Dave said you Must have a caregiver and at least one back up caregiver. You can not go thru this on your own. #1 you are not mentally all there for awhile #2 you can not drive for a minimum of 6 weeks. ( my opinion only- you can not put a price on a second chance at life ) Ok I had private insurance at the time, thru my wifes work, it was UHC. We had an out of pocket of $6,500. part of that had already been spent before my evaluation. You will have to be there for evaluation 2-3 weeks depending on the center. Some will do it in 1 week if appointments all fall into place correctly so you would have food and lodging for that period of time. That cost will vary on where you are and your life style. We had a fifth wheel so we stayed in an RV Park about $40 per day and we made our own meals..
Transplant time- you will be required to be close to your transplant center before you are listed. Housing is going to vary on what you require. We stayed 5-10 minutes from the hospital. Phoenix AZ we had a fully furnished Apartment, included heat, air, phone, cable, sewer, water, everything and it was $2000 per month-we were there 3 months. There were places half that cost but further away from the hospital. After your release from hospital (10days or so ) you will be back 2 X week for clinic and in PT 2X week. If doing well 3 months you can go home. Then you will be required to go to clinic once per month( if you are doing well ) more if not. After one year you will have clinic 4 times per year-every quarter. Once again that is IF you are doing well if not that number goes up.
with Medicare and a supplement that picks up the rest the only out of pocket you would have is your deductible (I have G and that is $185 ) then your living and travel expenses. Insurance will spend a Million plus on you all said and done. All the expense and time is Well worth it!!!! JMHO!! 18 months after Txd I hiked the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim at the age of 70. One of the toughest hikes I the lower 48. It is well worth it ? I will PM you and you can ask me specific question if you would like.

Paul-Ut
Double lung transplant 9-30-16
Lung in a Box recipient
The Journey Continues.
Go to Top of Page

Sokcap48

USA
950 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2019 :  11:48:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My part D will be about $1,000 out of pocket this year. It was about $3,000 last year. We had more providers move into this area this year which lowered the cost
Considerably.

Paul-Ut
Double lung transplant 9-30-16
Lung in a Box recipient
The Journey Continues.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000