Noisy Concentrator
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skhill

USA
267 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2020 :  10:40:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a DeVilbliss Drive Concentrator and it is noisy. I have to turn up the tv volume over the noise. Does anyone know of one that is not noisy. I do expect some noise but this one which was brand new over a year ago when I got it seems to be a little more noisy than it should be. I don't know though since this is my first one.

I had another PFT done this past week and it showed me being in stage 4 now. I am not surprised really but wonder why I am advancing more than expected. The doctor does not know either. No I do not smoke and I am not around smokers either. I just moved recently and found out the house I just moved from had quite a bit of mold in it. I know that didnt help me at all but could that have caused my copd to advance faster?

gms

USA
159 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2020 :  12:32:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have any experience with a Devilbiss. My DME carries concentrators from two manufacturers, Invacare and Everflo. I started out with a Invcacare Profecto 2. When that one needed replacing they gave me an Everflo. I tried it for 2 days before taking it back because it was so noisy and they gave me another Invacare which is much quieter. It sits just outside my bedroom and produces very little noise compared to the Everflo.
You might want to see if your supplier has any other makes/models available that you can try.
Go to Top of Page

Jocopd

USA
266 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2020 :  6:38:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this your own that you bought or did your insurance company send it to you? Cause it might just need to be serviced, the filters cleaned etc.

If it came thru your insurance company then they are supposed to do that at least once a year at no extra charge. Most of them don't mention it unless we ask for it.

If you purchased it yourself then just look up on U Tube how to clean them.

But only a year old it should still have some sort of warranty
Go to Top of Page

Sandy9s

USA
630 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2020 :  7:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Until you get this matter resolved, I would put the Concentrator at the other end of the house, and add hoses to reach wherever you want to go. My Concentrator (which makes a little too much noise and a little too much heat) has been placed just inside of a front bedroom........in a straight line, but far away from the rest of the house. It is attached to 3 - 25' hoses, a 7' hose, and then my changeable 2' cannula. They are connected with swivels. I can go all over the house, including into the shower. Our mfg. house is 18' wide and 76' long.
Go to Top of Page

sslei

184 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2020 :  8:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guess I am Lucky My concentrator does not make a sound, the machine that fills the tanks makes a little noise when filling.
Sandy L.
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
4372 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2020 :  9:11:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine hums, and I keep it in the next room when I use it at night I do not use it often anymore.

Dave, Forum Administrator
COPD Support, Inc. http://www.copd-support.com/
Your source for peer support and COPD Info

My Site: http://lungresources.com
Go to Top of Page

skhill

USA
267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2020 :  10:01:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone. I wish I had another room to put it but I had to move to already full house until an apartment I can afford becomes available. I do clean a little filter that is easy to get to. There might be one inside but I don't know. Also this came from Apria that my insurance pays for and it was brand new out of the box when I got it as was my Inogen as well.
Go to Top of Page

Jocopd

USA
266 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2020 :  2:57:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Call Apria and tell them its too noisy and to either come service it or replace it. There have been some reviews that it is noisy.

They say they give us new ones but they don't sometimes. And if you have had it a year then it needs to be serviced. They need to open it up and clean the insides.

There is a sound decibel app you can put on your phone and test the decibels on it. Most home units run about 50-60 decibels.
Go to Top of Page

skhill

USA
267 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2020 :  6:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I called Apria today and they brought me out a used a Invacare. It it is not as noisy but I miss the security of the one I had since I got it a year before the Covid outbreak. Just a little worried about how well they clean them before putting them back out for use.
Go to Top of Page

skhill

USA
267 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2020 :  12:13:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I was wrong. This machine is not any quieter than my other one. Now I wish I had just kept it. The man told me they only had two to choose from the Invacare and the DeVibliss. I wish I could put this concentrator in another room but I cant. I think I will call back and get a Devibliss one again. I think my other one just needed a maintenance done on it.
Go to Top of Page

skhill

USA
267 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2020 :  3:23:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Couldnt find my new post from earlier about the burning in my nose from my oxygen so I am replying in this old thread. I called Apria and they brought me out a brand new one still in the box. I feel a lot better and also brought me out a bottle for distilled water to use on the machine for moisture for my nose. Anyone else use this too. Lets see if that helps with the burning sensation in my nose. If I did inhale any cleaning chemicals from the other machine I can only pray and hope it didnt do lasting damage.
Go to Top of Page

Jocopd

USA
266 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2020 :  6:34:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think you inhaled any cleaning chemicals. When I first started using oxygen I would get a burning in my nose also. It would happen with my bottles, my inogen and my home concentrator. Oxygen really dries out the tender vessels and tissues in the nose and that can cause the burning sensations.

I used to use the bottle in the winter when things dry out to keep the nose moisturized but the hose will start trapping little droplets of water (depending on your house temp etc - its condensation) and then you get a big sniff of water. They make a little inline thing to put on your hose that is supposed to keep the water droplets from going up to your nose. But that doesn't work that well and you have to empty it. See if they can give you one of those too.

I found this at Walmart - its a saline nose spray called Little Remedies and its in the baby section. This work great for any nose issues that come up. I use one or two squirts and no dried out stuff or burning or tenderness
Go to Top of Page

gms

USA
159 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2020 :  6:41:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the maintenance guys at my DME said they clean the inside of the concentrators with hydrogen peroxide. It breaks down the cell walls of viruses and then the hydrogen peroxide breaks down into it's component parts, oxygen and water when it evaporates... so there are no actual chemicals used in cleaning.
While my concentrator manual says to clean the filters with soap and water, since this whole Covid thing started, I've been using dawn and water to clean them followed by a good dousing with hydrogen peroxide, letting it sit for 5 min. then rinsing the filters again with distilled water. It's probably over kill on my part.
I also use hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle to clean things that I bring into my home from the outside world.

Edited by - gms on Sep 30 2020 6:43:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

skhill

USA
267 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2020 :  11:32:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well so far this new one is not giving me any wierd sensations in with my nose. My first one didnt either and my Inogen does not either. When the Apria guy came out he told me they use some kind of foam stuff from a can and spray on them inside and out. He did not mention the name. I asked him how they clean these since the covid and that's when he told me that. He told me they clean them inside and out with chemicals. That's why I was concerned when my nose started burning and my SOB increased all within days of each other. The nose burning came first then the SOB. I will never know for sure if that Apria employee was telling me the truth of not. The guy I talked with who has some authority and who who authorized me a new one yesterday said that is not how they clean them but did not specify how. He also said since he was not there he cannot make a comment on what I just told him. If it wasnt the concentrator then I'd like to know what it is that cause the extra SOB and the nose burning so I can try and fix it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000