Putting up oxygen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roadrunne98

USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2021 :  11:37:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My oximeter show above 90, 95. But I am sob when walking from my bathroom to the kitchen table or the bed. Will I get too much 02 if I put the. Console in my home up from 2 1/2 to 3.? Will that help my sob when walking too and fro.?

jmrommes
Contributing Member

2159 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2021 :  11:50:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your O2 sats are good, DO NOT increase your O2. It's not going to do any good and has the potential of doing some harm. If your sats are good and you're sob that means that you are air-trapping. The thing that will help you is to use your PLB all the time so that you can get rid of the stale air. You can also just keep going even though you're really uncomfortable. As long as your O2 sats are good, you can keep going as long as you can stand it and you won't do yourself any harm. You'll think you're going to die but you won't.

Exercise not only lets me live, it enables me to have a life.
Go to Top of Page

Sandy9s

USA
629 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2021 :  12:38:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went from 2-1/2L to 3 L just a couple of weeks ago for the same reason........very low sats while walking. Now, while sitting, I can go to about 95, rather than about 93 like at 2-1/2. So, because I check my sats, I know I am not doing any harm by putting my concentrator at 3L

Go to Top of Page

Jocopd

USA
265 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2021 :  1:07:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best to ask your doctor.

It might not be air-trapping but could be issues with your heart.

Since your ok when your just sitting but getting up and walking could be straining your heart which in turn can make you short of breath and may drop your oxygen levels.
Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

2159 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2021 :  8:39:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Certainly, you will want to get the problem checked out. But my advice still holds: if your O2 sats are in a good place and you're very sob, turning up your O2 won't help you and it could do some harm. If there is some other reason for becoming sob besides air-trapping, I would like to know, so could you let us know please?

I admit that I made the assumption that Roadrunner was saying that the O2 sat levels were still above 90-95 when up and moving. If the O2 sats go down while up and moving, then you can turn your O2 up a notch. It's when they stay good while you're up and moving and you're really sob that you don't want to turn it up because it won't do any good.

Exercise not only lets me live, it enables me to have a life.
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
4372 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2021 :  1:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, higher O2 does not help SOB. Two different parts of the respiratory system.

Dave, Forum Administrator
COPD Support, Inc. http://www.copd-support.com/
Your source for peer support and COPD Info

My Site: http://lungresources.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000