Gas heat and 02
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skhill

USA
262 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2021 :  8:38:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just curious how many of you heat with gas or propane and or cokk with gas? How do you manage your concentrators with gas or around gas? I live in a total electric and it is not the warmest to heat with. Just wondering how you manage safely. This might seem like a stupid question but I specifically moved to an all total condo due to my 02.

gms

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2021 :  03:41:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fire needs an oxygen concentration above 15% in the air to burn. Normal air is about 21% oxygen. Lower the oxygen level below 15%, the fire goes out... raise it above 21%, it burns hotter.

My home is totally natural gas. Cooking, heating and hot water. I manage my concentrator and E tanks by understanding that oxygen isn't explosive... but is the element that supports fire. So with that in mind as long as you keep the actual stream of oxygen away from an open flame nothing is going to happen. If you should direct a stream of oxygen from your canula into an open flame your going to get a hotter/brighter flame... but it won't explode. (not to be confused with how a 'back draft' affects a fire)
Hope that helps... and makes sense.

Go to Top of Page

skhill

USA
262 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2021 :  12:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you gms. I was told no gas so I bought a total electric condo and it is near as warm as gas heat. No I really dont understand about the gas ans oxygen other thaqn keep it away from an open flame. So how do people cook with gas and wear their canola while cooking? If I had been more educated on this I might have went ahead and bought a condo or house with gas. Hind sight they say..........
Go to Top of Page

fatpuppy

192 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2021 :  12:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gentleman across the street used to smoke on his deck while wearing his oxygen. Wife wouldn't let him smoke in the house. Never incinerated himself although it might have a quicker less suffering way to go then dying from COPD a few years ago.

ďAs democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heartís desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.Ē H.L.Mencken 1920
Go to Top of Page

Dave-OH
Administrator

USA
4352 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2021 :  2:22:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O2 is a fire accelerant, it by itself is not flammable. More O2 makes a fire hotter and brighter. Using with pulse or low volume concentrator should be OK, if you keep it safe. Using it with a tank and 5 to 10 liters could be an issue, as at that volume, there will be leakage to the fire area. A gas furnace or water heater is not an issue, unless you are lighting the pilot.

I have a gas furnace and water heater. When I was on O2, I did not use my grill, but that was not due to gas and O2, I was still recovering from the extended hospital stay.

Dave, Forum Administrator
COPD Support, Inc. http://www.copd-support.com/
Your source for peer support and COPD Info

My Site: http://lungresources.com
Go to Top of Page

gms

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2021 :  2:55:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Skhill... I'm on 2L and usually turn it up to 3 or so when I'm working in the kitchen. Cooking is no problem, I just keep the hose away from the gas burners. Sometimes I route the hose under my shirt, other times I just tuck it into my waist... whatever it takes to keep the hose from contacting the flames from the burner and melting. As I said, there isn't any type of explosion hazard and the small amount of O2 that might leak from the canula in my nose will get diluted by the air in the room so it shouldn't affect the gas burners.

I also use my outside grill quite a bit and like cooking indoors, I keep the hose from contacting hot surfaces and melting.

Edited by - gms on Feb 20 2021 2:58:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

2133 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2021 :  8:35:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's really just a matter of keeping the hose away from the flame. Many people have gas heated homes, use gas stoves and other gas appliances. You just have to be careful and not let the hose get too near the flame so the O2 won't feed the fire. I cooked using a gas stove and an outdoor grill for years and never had a problem.

Exercise not only lets me live, it enables me to have a life.
Go to Top of Page

Jocopd

USA
261 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2021 :  1:30:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There have been a few news articles where someone burns down the house while smoking and using oxygen. One was posted here a while back.

My friend's wife would not quit smoking when she was on oxygen. She figured she was going to die anyway and would do what she wanted. She did not catch fire but she did melt all of her tubing to her robe one time. Even that didn't stop her.

I have a gas furnace, gas stove and oven and water heater. I prefer the way gas cooks on the stove top.

I had ductless mini splits installed that now do the heating and cooling so I no longer use the furnace. It works 100 times better now that I control the temp in each room. Not wasting energy for rooms that are not being used.

I am very cognizant of cooking on the stove while wearing my oxygen. But I am not that close to the flame. There is a pan and I am taller than the top of the stove so its not really that close. And the flow is going into my nose - not onto the flame

If someone is going to stick their head that close to the flame - well. 'nuff said.
Go to Top of Page

jmrommes
Contributing Member

2133 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2021 :  8:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe what you didn't say was "you can't fix stupid"........:)

Exercise not only lets me live, it enables me to have a life.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000