Temperature
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skhill

USA
262 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2021 :  7:00:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have my furnace set on 74 and got a $306 electric bill. I wont be able to afford that. I know if the temp is too chilly and the end of my nose gets cold I will start getting too much mucus and will be in trouble. What is the lowest temp most of you can handle without it getting you into trouble or causing more coughing or mucus??? Does the cold temps even bother any of you?

klm49

USA
131 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2021 :  06:41:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep my temp. around 67-78 during the day and 66 at night. My power bill is usually a little over $100 this time of year. Don't know what this month's bill will be with our record cold and outages (Texas). I dont have a lot of mucus in my lungs and the cold doesn't seem to bother me in that regard. I do find myself more SOB when it is cold.
Go to Top of Page

Jocopd

USA
261 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2021 :  09:54:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, cold temps bother me greatly, can't breath, no energy. I had huge bills for my gas furnace while the rest of the people in the house melted. But even then the house was not warm enough for me.

My son finally said enough and set me up with a ductless mini split so I can heat/cool just my room to the temp I want. I keep it at 76 - 78 depending if the wind is blowing and making things feel colder. Now we are all happy.

And it worked great this last summer to cool my room since its the opposite in the summer - my room faces the setting sun and I could never get cool enough lol.

I also have an electric blanket that I use wherever I am sitting or in bed.

Maybe there is an elder assistance group in your area that could get you one of the ductless mini splits? Or set up a go fund me account, just make sure you go with a licensed company if you are able to get one
Go to Top of Page

Sandy9s

USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2021 :  8:56:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We keep our house at 80 on A/C during the day; 75 A/C at night.

But when the heat is on, we keep it at 74 Heat; 71 Heat at night.

Our Texas bill usually runs about $150/month year-around. My Oxygen Concentrator runs 24/7.......maybe about $20/month I'm guessing.

It's pretty funny..........many times we start the day on Heat and then in the afternoon, go to A/C. At night back to Heat, etc. etc. etc.
This is Deep South Texas.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
COPD Support Discussion Boards © Copyright COPD-Support, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000